Prayers for SATTVA

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Cittasanto

Re: could you pray or chant for me?

Post by Cittasanto »

may you not loose your home resort!

With Metta
Manapa
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
sattva

Re: Prayers for SATTVA

Post by sattva »

Didn't know this thread was here. Thanks everyone for well wishes!!! :heart: :group:
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

:anjali: :group:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
sattva

Post by sattva »

Thanks everyone for all the well-wishes and links!!! Thanks for posting my pic, Fig Tree. i call it Squinting in the Sun lol. My sister took the photo just a few days ago.

Blessings and metta to you all :anjali:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Back at you, Louise!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Hope all goes well. I had a friend who had a quad BP and afterward he was a new man. In a good way.

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

My father is in his mid 70s. He had a triple bypass and a cleaning out of his carotid artery back in February. His doctor discovered that his arteries were nearly blocked ( no heart attacks, he went in for other issues ). Throughout the process I was impressed by how confident all of the medical staff were. They told us that so many of these operations were done that these operations have become routine and safe. My father is fine now. Good Luck.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
manas

Post by manas »

I have only recently returned to DW, so I have not previously met sattva, but I hope she can find whichever aspect of the three Refuges that calms and centres her mind the most, and recollect that as she goes through this procedure. may she undergo the op with a heart-mind at peace. :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
manas

Post by manas »

Hi sattva,
I too admire your courage at this very challenging time. A gentle reminder: maybe find whatever aspect of the Triple Gem most calms and centres your mind and heart, and decide on it now, so that when the time for 'going in' to the procedure arrives, you are already decided on it, and automatically know what to do.

I can remember when I was in hospital, with internal bleeding (spleen had a rupture). Breathing became painful, and reduced down to what felt like a few centimeters each way (I had a fractured rib). I grounded my mind in that - the breath that I still had - and kept sending love into my body, visualizing it as light. So for me in that moment, my kammaṭṭhāna from my ordinary daily practice, became my 'refuge' that got me through that experience with a relatively calm mind. (I got to keep my spleen, btw - it eventually healed.)

But one could choose any aspect of the three Refuges, I suppose...recollection of the Buddha, of an aspect of the Dhamma that inspires one, or the Sangha (a teacher one has a connection with?), etc. This is just a suggestion of mine based on personal experience, I'm not a professional of any kind! But I offer it as something that helped me thorugh a challenging time, and might be helpful to you.

In the end, your faith and practice reside in your heart and mind already, and will arise at the right time, I intuit. May you be at peace, sattva! Whatever happens, may the goodness of your faith and practice guide and protect you. I also will await to know the exact time of the op. and you will be in my heart-and-mind especially at that time. :heart:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

:namaste:
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Tex

Post by Tex »

Best wishes to you, sattva. Hope it all works out for the best.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
sattva

Post by sattva »

I don't feel particularly courageous. I am looking smack in the face of what is and what might be. It has to be done or i die soon. I somehow don't feel like this is courage, but accepting reality.

Unless something changes, i am going to be allowed to bring a cd or mp3 player into the operating room. My zen teacher is making me a cd to listen to while i am under and my son will probably put it on an mp3 player for me. A long time zen friend is going to read the metta sutta to me on the phone before i go into surgery.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Dedicating my merits to you dear Louise.

May you face your surgery with equanimity and courage
May your surgery be successful
May you continue to live for a long time, walking with us on this most incomparable path!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
sattva

Post by sattva »

POSTPONED:

Hi everyone, and hold the chants/prayers, please. Surgery has been pontponed due to a cold that became asthmatic bronchitus and now pneumonia. The doctor who nixed the operation has me on medication, but won't see me again until July 6th (he is on vacation next week). In the meantime, i will see my primary care doctor next week to check my condition. Anyway, the operation won't occur until
after the 6th. The cardiolist who diagnosed all this wanted the bypass done within 2 weeks. It will be at least 4 as it is going now.

My mom used to say, "If it isn't one thing, it's another!" Sure seems true to me lately.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I'm sorry to hear this sattva :( . I realy hope everything works out well.

metta and karuna.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta