World map

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
rowyourboat

World map

Post by rowyourboat »

Hello, how about a map with the location of member? Just a thought..
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
retrofuturist

Re: World map

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings RYB,
rowyourboat wrote:Hello, how about a map with the location of member? Just a thought..
If you wish to make one based on the information that people make publicly available via their profiles and postings, you're welcome.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

:) don't know how to.. I was thinking more on the lines of this site automatically generating a map based on publicly available information- maybe members could opt in. I think it builds up a sense of community.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

On a similar theme ... I was wondering whether there was some way of encouraging members to give their location (even just to country level, not city) along with 'number of posts' and 'date joined'. I find it tricky to know, sometimes, how much cultural background I need to explain to make myself clear - generally more for people in non-Western countries, for instance. Also whether the person I'm talking to is likely to be a native, or fluent non-native, speaker of English.
Country information would give everyone a fairly good indication (90% reliable, not 100% of course) of both of those, and therefore help avoid misunderstandings.

:namaste:
Kim
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Kim,

Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to make it a "mandatory field", but I'm all for promoting the idea of people sharing their location in the manner you suggest.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I have updated my location.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Great idea :twothumbsup:

I searched for a member map using google maps, but it seems that there are no recent phpbb mods for that. :(

Maybe you can produce a KML file with all the locations and feed that to google maps.

Here are some resources for that: http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documen ... pport.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I think it will be quite cool thing to have actually ... we dont have to be all serious do we? :sage:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Here is this thread where people reported where they are from: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1697" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And if someone has the time, perhaps they can make a map like the one below and color in the percentages to match our current membership:

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to make it a "mandatory field", but I'm all for promoting the idea of people sharing their location in the manner you suggest.
Yes, it's challenging when someone asks "where can I find...?" without telling us where in the world they live...

:anjali:
Mike
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi David,

What you have there is a statistical map - what I had in mind was more individual dots/squares denoting where each person comes from - thus will give a sense of 'oh that's him!' rather than, the statistical average. I feel it should generate itself from the data (if that is possible), and fun to look at. Apparently the succes of iPhone apps is that they are 'fun' and not necessarily functional. App developers are openly told that they should make their apps fun, if they are going to succeed!

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Someone made such a map the people could register on, and promoted it on E-Sangha some time ago. Anyone remember where it is?

Mike
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

rowyourboat wrote::) don't know how to.. I was thinking more on the lines of this site automatically generating a map based on publicly available information- maybe members could opt in. I think it builds up a sense of community.

with metta
Matheesha
Hi, Matheesha, Ytrog,
Would Clustrmaps (http://www.clustrmaps.com/) or an equivalent do it?
It generates a map like this:
Screen shot Clustrmaps.png
Screen shot Clustrmaps.png (373.9 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
So it doesn't tell anyone where any individual is from, which is what I wanted, but it does give all of us a good idea of where all of us are from, which I think is what you wanted.

:namaste:
Kim
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Kim, yup that's it. Thank you! Now how does this fit into the DW site (if it is approved, I guess).

With mett
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Kim,
Kim O'Hara wrote: So it doesn't tell anyone where any individual is from, which is what I wanted, but it does give all of us a good idea of where all of us are from, which I think is what you wanted.
But the map, along with your "North Queensland" location would show where you are...
Unless we have a bunch of other members up there... :thinking:

Mike