Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
unspoken
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:41 pm
Location: Malaysia

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by unspoken » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:36 pm

How long is the duration of all the dhamma talks posted there? So I listen to ALL the mp3 of the provided link and it will be same as reading a book except that I do not need to read?

amrad
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:29 am

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by amrad » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Hello unspoken, I think its better than reading a book, because Bhikkhu Bodi tend to explain things in a very easy to follow way. And for a beginner he really makes things clear. If you look at the page it usually tells you the length of each lecture if I remember correctly. It would amount to many hours I'm sure.

BKh
Posts: 278
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by BKh » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:24 pm

amrad wrote:When you go to the monastery home page its hard to tell if its true Theravada or a synthesis of that and Mahayana. Could anyone add any information as to the nature of their mission. What a loving act of generosity to make these lectures available for free to those interested.
I have not listened to these particular talks, but I have listened to Bhante's Saturday morning MN talks for the last five months and I doubt those talks linked to above would be much different in terms of Theravada doctrine. He almost never brings up any Mahayana concepts. It's all coming right from the Pali suttas, sometimes with information from the ancient commentaries. From time to time a student will ask a question related to Mahayana and he usually avoids commenting. If he ever did, though, I'm sure he would make it clear that the information is coming from Mahayana. He is, of course, very respectful to the Mahayana teachings, but doesn't do blending.
ReadingFaithfully.org Daily Practice with the Suttas | becomeabuddhist.org
audtip. org Audio Sutta Recordings | BuddhaRupa Images of the Buddha across time and space

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 16104
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by mikenz66 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:14 pm

BKh wrote:
amrad wrote:When you go to the monastery home page its hard to tell if its true Theravada or a synthesis of that and Mahayana. Could anyone add any information as to the nature of their mission. What a loving act of generosity to make these lectures available for free to those interested.
I have not listened to these particular talks, but I have listened to Bhante's Saturday morning MN talks for the last five months and I doubt those talks linked to above would be much different in terms of Theravada doctrine. He almost never brings up any Mahayana concepts. It's all coming right from the Pali suttas, sometimes with information from the ancient commentaries. From time to time a student will ask a question related to Mahayana and he usually avoids commenting. If he ever did, though, I'm sure he would make it clear that the information is coming from Mahayana. He is, of course, very respectful to the Mahayana teachings, but doesn't do blending.
I think perhaps that amrad was asking about the Monasteries where Ven Bodhi has been living. I can't find the links right now, but when he returned to the US from Sri Lanka he said that he was invited to stay at Bodhi Monastery (no relation) by Venerable Jen-Chun and he has been interested in fostering more discussion between various schools, and, more recently, setting up a Buddhist charity organization (Buddhist Global Relief). However, as BKh says, in terms of his exposition of Pali teachings, he sticks to explaining the texts.

:anjali:
Mike

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 16104
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by mikenz66 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi Unspoken,
unspoken wrote:How long is the duration of all the dhamma talks posted there? So I listen to ALL the mp3 of the provided link and it will be same as reading a book except that I do not need to read?
It might be possible to just listen, but I would recommend having the book, since the talks often assume you've looked at the passage under discussion. It's a relatively cheap paperback (less than $20).

:anjali:
Mike

unspoken
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:41 pm
Location: Malaysia

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by unspoken » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:21 pm

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Unspoken,
unspoken wrote:How long is the duration of all the dhamma talks posted there? So I listen to ALL the mp3 of the provided link and it will be same as reading a book except that I do not need to read?
It might be possible to just listen, but I would recommend having the book, since the talks often assume you've looked at the passage under discussion. It's a relatively cheap paperback (less than $20).

:anjali:
Mike
Actually I'm just a teenager living in Malaysia. If its in dolar, convert to malaysian ringgit, it will be rm60 which I could not afford it. I think I'll be fine just download the mp3 :smile:

Jhana4
Posts: 1309
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:20 pm
Location: U.S.A., Northeast

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by Jhana4 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm

I can relate to that.

I first got interested in Buddhism in the 90s when I was a student. I was living off about $500 a month. Wisdom's "Middle Length Discourses", I think, was even more expensive back then. There were no Amazon or used book discounts. It wasn't in the library system as it is now. Buying a copy would have been like sacrificing a week and half's worth of grocery money.

Luckily, the sutta class I went to didn't mind sharing books at classes or providing photocopies. John Bullit of Access To Insight was also working with the Buddhist Publication Society to put a lot of their pamphlets on the web ( I still read a few of them as text files and converted a few to HTML myself ) and about the same time Thanisarro Bhikkhu started putting his translations on Access To Insight. My Buddhist education would have been shut down back then if not for these things.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

danieLion
Posts: 1947
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 am

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by danieLion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks for this original poster. What a great resource! I just started reading In the Buddha's Words and just finished Wings to Awakening. I have been listening to these talks while I do stuff around the house. I also like Thanissaro's Handful of Leaves I, but am still in the introduction of that. Wings was much easier to read at a faster pace compared to In the Buddha's Words which I like just as much but something about it makes me want to read more reflectively and and hence slower. Also, so far, Wings seems more thesis driven (to support his opinion of the importance of the bodhipakkiyadhamma?) whereas IBW more expository.

What are your experiences with these anthologies?

Thanks,

Dan

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 16104
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Aotearoa, New Zealand

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by mikenz66 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:08 am

Hi Dan,

Of course, I agree. Ven Thanissaro's books seem to me to be written to make particular points (nothing wrong with that, of course, same goes for many authors!). Bhikkhu Bodhi's anthology does attempt to be a broad cross-section of suttas giving a reasonably balanced view of the breadth of advice that is in the Canon. I have found his classification system very useful and it's seldom that I read a sutta that contains material that is not hinted at in that volume, though of course I can point to suttas that go into the various aspects in more detail.

The criticism that some have is that he deliberately downplayed verse, but verse (such as the Dhammapada, the Sutta Nipata, and the first book of the Samyutta Nikaya) is difficult to render both accurately and poetically. Yes, it would be nice to include the Ratana, Mahāmaṅgala Sutta, and Metta Suttas, but it would require a lot of explanation (which he gives here: http://www.bodhimonastery.net/bm/about- ... ipata.html).

:anjali:
Mike

Gibraltariana
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by Gibraltariana » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:09 pm

I am going to order this book today. Thanks!

past is dead
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 pm
Location: Macedonia

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by past is dead » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:05 pm

I have started to read this book few days ago and it's really good so far. Can you guys recommend me other books by Bhikkhu Bodhi or other Theravada related books?

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 19879
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:08 pm

Greetings Past Is Dead,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Check out this topic...

Introductory resources
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

past is dead
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 pm
Location: Macedonia

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by past is dead » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:25 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Past Is Dead,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Check out this topic...

Introductory resources
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
Thanks you Retrofuturist for the help, I am new here so I will need some time to learn my way around :)

Which are your favorite introductory, intermediate and advanced books on Theravada?

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 19879
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:29 pm

Greetings,
past is dead wrote:Which are your favorite introductory, intermediate and advanced books on Theravada?
In a nutshell...

Introductory: anything from the topic I referenced, or anything by Ajahn Sumedho, Ajahn Chah, Bhikkhu Bodhi, or Thanissaro Bhikkhu
Intermediate: anything from the Sutta Pitaka
Advanced: anything by Bhikkhu Nanananda, Nanavira Thera, Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero... then going back to the Sutta Pitaka and reading it, taking what these people have said into account

:reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

past is dead
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 pm
Location: Macedonia

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by past is dead » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:56 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
past is dead wrote:Which are your favorite introductory, intermediate and advanced books on Theravada?
In a nutshell...

Introductory: anything from the topic I referenced, or anything by Ajahn Sumedho, Ajahn Chah, Bhikkhu Bodhi, or Thanissaro Bhikkhu
Intermediate: anything from the Sutta Pitaka
Advanced: anything by Bhikkhu Nanananda, Nanavira Thera, Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero... then going back to the Sutta Pitaka and reading it, taking what these people have said into account

:reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
Thanks a lot again

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dinsdale, SDC and 50 guests