Poll: Your sex or gender?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.

What is your sex or gender

Man
71%
Woman
28%
Transgendered
2%

Total votes: 65

Jhana4

Poll: Your sex or gender?

Post by Jhana4 »

Someone made this suggestion in another thread. At the least it seems like it will be an original for this board. What is your sex and or gender. Straight white man of European descent here :)
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Ben

Re: Poll: Your sex or gender?

Post by Ben »

If you don't know my gender by now, then....

male
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

well thats my vote cast.....Fede ? Cooran ? Aloka ? Come on gals.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Ben wrote:If you don't know my gender by now, then....

male
Not too many North American women running around calling themselves "Ben".
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Sanghamitta wrote:well thats my vote cast.....Fede ? Cooran ? Aloka ? Come on gals.
Token :)
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Jhana4 wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:well thats my vote cast.....Fede ? Cooran ? Aloka ? Come on gals.
Token :)
well you may well jest ...Jnana4..... :smile:

Bhikku Bodhi.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Jhana4 wrote:
Ben wrote:If you don't know my gender by now, then....

male
Not too many North American women running around calling themselves "Ben".
That's a real shame!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

female.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
bodom

Post by bodom »

"I will teach you a Dhamma discourse on bondage & lack of bondage. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"Yes, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said: "A woman attends inwardly to her feminine faculties, her feminine gestures, her feminine manners, feminine poise, feminine desires, feminine voice, feminine charms. She is excited by that, delighted by that. Being excited & delighted by that, she attends outwardly to masculine faculties, masculine gestures, masculine manners, masculine poise, masculine desires, masculine voices, masculine charms. She is excited by that, delighted by that. Being excited & delighted by that, she wants to be bonded to what is outside her, wants whatever pleasure & happiness that arise based on that bond. Delighting, caught up in her femininity, a woman goes into bondage with reference to men. This is how a woman does not transcend her femininity.

"A man attends inwardly to his masculine faculties, masculine gestures, masculine manners, masculine poise, masculine desires, masculine voice, masculine charms. He is excited by that, delighted by that. Being excited & delighted by that, he attends outwardly to feminine faculties, feminine gestures, feminine manners, feminine poise, feminine desires, feminine voices, feminine charms. He is excited by that, delighted by that. Being excited & delighted by that, he wants to be bonded to what is outside him, wants whatever pleasure & happiness that arise based on that bond. Delighting, caught up in his masculinity, a man goes into bondage with reference to women. This is how a man does not transcend his masculinity.

"And how is there lack of bondage? A woman does not attend inwardly to her feminine faculties... feminine charms. She is not excited by that, not delighted by that... does not attend outwardly to masculine faculties... masculine charms. She is not excited by that, not delighted by that... does not want to be bonded to what is outside her, does not want whatever pleasure & happiness that arise based on that bond. Not delighting, not caught up in her femininity, a woman does not go into bondage with reference to men. This is how a woman transcends her femininity.

"A man does not attend inwardly to his masculine faculties... masculine charms. He is not excited by that, not delighted by that... does not attend outwardly to feminine faculties... feminine charms. He is not excited by that, not delighted by that... does not want to be bonded to what is outside him, does not want whatever pleasure & happiness that arise based on that bond. Not delighting, not caught up in his masculinity, a man does not go into bondage with reference to women. This is how a man transcends his masculinity.

"This is how there is lack of bondage. And this is the Dhamma discourse on bondage & lack of bondage."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

tiltbillings wrote:female.
I bet your real name is Britney.

you're so HOT!!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:

you're so HOT!!
Well, ya-ah.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mlswe

Post by mlswe »

i was hoping the poll was between sex and gender

EDIT* i will let this stand, but it doesn´t clearly express what my hope is. Those thoughts might not be appropriate to expand on in this thread.

wishing you all well
Last edited by mlswe on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mlswe wrote:i was hoping the poll was between sex and gender
There is always hope.

Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

tiltbillings wrote:
Ben wrote:

you're so HOT!!
Well, ya-ah.
Well I have seen a photo of you with a shaved head...

Bhikku Bodhi.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sanghamitta wrote:Well I have seen a photo of you with a shaved head...
So have I, but mostly I find this question of gender, or is it sex, a bit beside the point, though not totally unimportant.