How to adress a bhikku via email

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Ytrog

How to adress a bhikku via email

Post by Ytrog »

Hello all. I'm writing an email (draft for now) to [email protected], because I want to stay there for a few days as a guest (hopefully 5 days, though their site says 3 days max the first time, unless perhaps from abroad).
How do I address the guest monk/bhikku? In what form should I best write the mail?

Thanks in advance. :anjali:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
David2

Re: How to adress a bhikku via email

Post by David2 »

Bhante or Venerable.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

If you knew the name of the bhikkhu who was reading it, I would write "Greetings venerable x".

If you don't know which bhikkhu will read it, I would write, "Greetings bhante"

I would keep the correspondence factual and to the point.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

An email is a pretty informal form of communication, I don't see why you should address a bhikku any differently than a layperson.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Goofaholix wrote:An email is a pretty informal form of communication, I don't see why you should address a bhikku any differently than a layperson.
You wouldn't want to kick it of with a "Wassap, homie?" though...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Thanks for the replies.

I think I stick with something like "Greetings Bhante". I'm lucky they have email now, otherwise I had to send a letter, which would had taken a long time to arrive.

EDIT
I don't know the name of the bhikku in question. He's the guest monk of Cittaviveka (A.K.A. Chithurst Buddhist Monastery).
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

retrofuturist wrote:You wouldn't want to kick it of with a "Wassap, homie?" though...
You've obviously been intercepting my emails ;)
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

I just send it. I must have read and corrected it at least a dozen times.

I am a bit nervous about the reaction tbh. :toilet:
Cal

Post by Cal »

I wouldn't be nervous. I've been to Chithurst several times, as I live relatively close, and all the Sangha I have met there have been very relaxed, kind and helpful.

Best wishes

Cal
Right Speech: It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will. [AN 5.198]

Personally, I seem to gain the most insight when I am under the most pressure, when life is at its most unpleasant. There is something in me on those occasions which feels that there is nothing left but to be aware of 'this'. Ajahn Sumedho - Don't Take Your Life Personally, p288
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

I noticed. Very nice response :)

EDIT

I'll be at Cittaviveka from 20 to 25 June :D
andrewuk

Post by andrewuk »

I live close to Chithurst.

Feel free to contact me. I may be able to give you a lift from Petersfield Train Station.

Please send me a pm. We'll see how it goes!

Andrew
Meditate, don't be negligent, lest you may later regret it!
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

andrewuk wrote:I live close to Chithurst.

Feel free to contact me. I may be able to give you a lift from Petersfield Train Station.

Please send me a pm. We'll see how it goes!

Andrew
I still have to plan the whole trip, but I will keep it in mind. Thanks :clap: