Incense - Yes or No

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
thecap

Re: Incense - Yes or No

Post by thecap »

Fragrance oil might be a good alternative, because it's not burned but evaporated.
Last edited by thecap on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Placid-pool

Post by Placid-pool »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Doesn't bother me, I smoke. :lol: :lol:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Placid-pool wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Doesn't bother me, I smoke. :lol: :lol:
:lol:

That's one way to "solve" the problem. Apparently there is no rule against smoking in the Vinaya or for lay people, but since it can be dangerous to one's health, I still try to avoid cigarette smoke. Maybe I need to add incense to the list. :cry:
Placid-pool

Post by Placid-pool »

I do try to be careful around my Old Feller who doesn't smoke and I have stopped using my thurible - incense with charcoal tablet - because it really can fumigate the place.

but it can be really dangerous for other people's health when I don't smoke so I see it as a compassionate act to continue smoking ... at least I don't go around wishing to kill everyone :evil: :evil:
Individual

Post by Individual »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I was just wondering if people use incense and under what circumstances and for what purposes they would use it?

I don't use it often, mainly because I don't see the need and because my wife doesn't like it. I did however get a small packet of Japanese incense the other day and it's actually quite nice. Better than the stuff from the $2 shop.

Metta,
Retro. :)
I use incense daily, as a part of an offering ritual (lighting a candle and incense for Gautama). For meditation, sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. It can be relaxing, but it can also be a distraction. I honestly don't know about its long-term health effects.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I do use incense as well as candles as offerings on occasion but apart from that i refrain from using it as i too have heard it has bad effect on health.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”