Serving on a 10 day retreat

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
wizi

Re: Serving on a 10 day retreat

Post by wizi »

I am serving in a non-center in africa, so there's no chance for hikes as we are conducting the retreat with Acharya Daniel Mayer in a christian seminary where it's a pretty closed compound. The retreats here are usually not that big, so I think I will have time to read during my rest breaks. I found a book on the disciples of the Buddha which could be complementary to the contemplative spirit of the serving.. thanks the recommendation Ben, i will look out for that book when I am in a bookstore next time in europe or asia! :namaste:
All beings like yourself are responsible for their own actions. Suffering or happiness is created through one's relationship to experience, not by experience itself. Although I wish only the best for you, I know that your happiness or unhappiness depends on your actions, not on my wishes for you.
May you not be caught in reactivity.
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Wizi- do not get too attached to the reading. There really won't be much time for reading, and reading is generally discouraged in the behavioral code because it disrupts the concentration you are creating.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
wizi

Post by wizi »

Thank you guys, upon your wise counsel, I am leaving behind the dhamma material as I zip my bag ready for the retreat starting TODAY!!!! :toast: So Happy!!!!

Bhavatu Sabba Mangalam ..
All beings like yourself are responsible for their own actions. Suffering or happiness is created through one's relationship to experience, not by experience itself. Although I wish only the best for you, I know that your happiness or unhappiness depends on your actions, not on my wishes for you.
wizi

Post by wizi »

Back from serving for the first time. Is it common for first time servers to suffer burnout?

Day 2 and Day 7 were the most stressful days as students' sankharas seem to arise en masse... and it was difficult to juggle the decisions whether to report to the Teacher and telling the student off by saying it's time to purify your craving!! There were banal complaints ranging from incessant complaints on lack of hot water, persistent request for a personal room, to the more serious breaking of code of silence ... a new student even gave money to the nuns to buy milk and sugar for donation to the kitchen citing it as a cultural tradition in her temple! :juggling:

The experience gave me a really good insight into the role of the Teacher who has such a delicate job of dealing with students' sankharas as they arise. I found it interesting that many new students were fearful of approaching the teacher for an interview on the meditation technique. The teacher explained that sometimes the question that the student asks belies an underlying issue that is the cause of the student's agitation, as teachers, they have to identify these underlying issues and help the student focus in tackling these.

All said, Goenkaji's discourses were more profound this time when i hear them as a dhamma server, than the other times when I sat in the course as a student.
If you are deliberating whether to serve on your next course, I would urge you to undertake the serving as truly the benefits of dhamma serving is untold!! :twothumbsup:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well done, wizi!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
coolshling

Post by coolshling »

Hi wizi

This is very interesting and appreciate your help as volunteer.

I attended a retreat in Thailand last year and currently looking for a center where I can volunteer to serve during the summer (Jul-Aug). Do you have any recommendation? Normally I would go to center in Thailand but I am currently studying in France and maybe I can contribute by serving centers in this region.

Best, :anjali:
wizi

Post by wizi »

Hi there! :hello:

Yes, it is very different to serve and experience dhamma this way... since u are in France, maybe u can try to register as a volunteer in the vipassana centers in:

France, Dhamma Mahi, Champignelles, France
http://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schmahi.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spain, Dhamma Neru, Barcelona
http://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schneru.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let us know if you managed to serve this summer? :namaste:
wizi

Post by wizi »

For the first time, i am helping to organise a gypsy 10 day course in Kiswahili and English in a rural part of E Africa!

Will need all the metta to get all the students we need to fill up the course...

:anjali:
Ben

Post by Ben »

All the best, wizi!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Good luck :twothumbsup:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
coolshling

Post by coolshling »

Dear wizi

Thank you so much for the information. Now I have found time between Jul 4 to Jul 8 that will match with the service period at Dhamma Mahi. I am so excited.
I am looking for a map to go to the centre from Fontainebleau or Paris. It will be helpful if you can guide me on how to get there.

Thank you and anumothana :anjali:

Coolshling

wizi wrote:Hi there! :hello:

Yes, it is very different to serve and experience dhamma this way... since u are in France, maybe u can try to register as a volunteer in the vipassana centers in:

http://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schmahi.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schneru.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben

Post by Ben »

coolshling wrote:Dear wizi

Thank you so much for the information. Now I have found time between Jul 4 to Jul 8 that will match with the service period at Dhamma Mahi. I am so excited.
I am looking for a map to go to the centre from Fontainebleau or Paris. It will be helpful if you can guide me on how to get there.

Thank you and anumothana :anjali:

Coolshling

wizi wrote:Hi there! :hello:

Greetings coolshling

Wizi lives in Africa and may not be able to assist with a map.
I suggest you contact the meditation centre directly and they will be able to give you directions.
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

coolshling

Post by coolshling »

:anjali: Thank you Ben :anjali:

I have submitted the application form and I will contact the centre tomorrow.
Have a nice day.
Ben

Post by Ben »

They usually include directions to the Centre when they send you notice your application has been approved.
That is, at the centres i have been to.
If not, then contact them.
and good luck with your course!
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725