Complete Pali Canon in your browser menubar

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
rblumberg

Complete Pali Canon in your browser menubar

Post by rblumberg »

The Digital Pali Reader is an extension for Firefox and Google Chrome browsers that makes the entire Pali Canon, in Pali, accessible through a button on your browser's menubar. You have your choice of several different methods of transliteration; when you click on a Pali word, the definition of that word appears in a window below the text; and you have access, through the extension's browser window, to all available online Pali-English dictionaries. If there are translations of the sutta you're viewing available on the web, you have links to those. And that just begins to touch on its many features. For serious students of the Pali Canon, it's an invaluable tool. I've used it extensively in preparing my own translations of a number of suttas on my Dharma Study site (a support site for the classes I teach at our Osher Lifelong Learning Institute continuing ed. program at the University of Cincinnati and elsewhere).

With regard,

Richard Blumberg
perkele

Re: Complete Pali Canon in your browser menubar

Post by perkele »

Great work!
Beneath the Wheel

Post by Beneath the Wheel »

Looks like the link for the Chrome extension isn't working. I'll try again later. This looks like a great resource!
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

WOW that is totally great - thank you!
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
David2

Post by David2 »

I don't want to be impatient but the download for the chrome version is still not working. :tongue:
Thank you! :anjali:
Kare

Post by Kare »

Rahula wrote:I don't want to be impatient but the download for the chrome version is still not working. :tongue:
Thank you! :anjali:
The Firefox version works fine. So, even if you prefer another browser for daily use, why not download Firefox and use it only for the Tipitaka? That's what I have done.
Mettāya,
Kåre
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

There used to be support for Chrome (a long time ago), but not anymore I think. Firefox is required. The official site is: pali.sirimangalo.org.

:anjali:
David2

Post by David2 »

Ok, thanks. So I installed it in Firefox 4, and it is activated.

So, how to use it now? I can't find any button or anything?

Edit: Nevermind, I found out that I first have to activate the addon-toolbar. Now, there is the button. :tongue:
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

If you use Windows, try setting the font to Arial Unicode MS (in tools, then options)... I found that the Pāli reads best in that way, it's very easy on the eyes.

:anjali:
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

The arahant says that you shouldnt read so much about the teachings that slows down your effort.
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )