The Intelligence Of Chickens

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Jhana4

The Intelligence Of Chickens

Post by Jhana4 »

I'm not a scientists. I don't play one on TV. I'm educated enough to know that posting a citation to a study is far from being proof of an argument.

Having written all that, I found this fascinating page summarizing "new" findings about how intelligent chickens and roosters are:
Dr. Chris Evans, Professor of Psychology at Macquarie University, Australia

“Chickens exist in stable social groups. They can recognize each other by their facial features. They have 24 distinct cries that communicate a wealth of information to one other, including separate alarm calls depending on whether a predator is traveling by land or sea. They are good at solving problems. ‘As a trick at conferences I sometimes list these attributes, without mentioning chickens, and people think I’m talking about monkeys,’ Mr. Evans said.

Perhaps most persuasive is the chicken’s intriguing ability to understand that an object, when taken away and hidden, nevertheless continues to exist. This is beyond the capacity of small children.”

Grimes W, “If Chickens Are So Smart, Why Aren’t They Eating Us?” New York Times, January 12, 2003.
more
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
plwk

Re: The Intelligence Of Chickens

Post by plwk »

Until the cat comes along...
alan

Post by alan »

Chickens have predators that travel by sea? Damn those maritime poultry hawks--they have been eviscerating my flock!
chownah

Post by chownah »

Perhaps most persuasive is the chicken’s intriguing ability to understand that an object, when taken away and hidden, nevertheless continues to exist. This is beyond the capacity of small children.
Wow,...it's a no brainer for sure.....next time I'll vote for chickens....someone tell those small children to grow up or forever come in second best!!!
chownah
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

Jhana4 wrote:... including separate alarm calls depending on whether a predator is traveling by land or sea.
"One if by land, and two if by sea,
And I on the opposite shore will be, bgawk!"