What is Wrong with Buddha Nature

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Kusala

What is Wrong with Buddha Nature

Post by Kusala »

Great Dhamma talk http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/audio_player/1390.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
phil

Re: What is Wrong with Buddha Nature

Post by phil »

Hi, in my opinion there is nothing wrong with it for those who enjoy playing with it, it probably helps them to be nice people, but it wasn't taught by the Buddha and has nothing to do with liberation.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

According to the Theravada, do all beings have the potential to achieve enlightenment/arahantship (provided, of course, that they follow the Eightfold Path?)
darvki

Post by darvki »

phil wrote:Hi, in my opinion there is nothing wrong with it for those who enjoy playing with it, it probably helps them to be nice people, but it wasn't taught by the Buddha and has nothing to do with liberation.
It has everything to do with liberation if one chooses to treat it as such. It's a poetic device that can be used to describe the inclusive and ever-available nature of Dhamma.
mlswe

Post by mlswe »

Lazy_eye wrote:According to the Theravada, do all beings have the potential to achieve enlightenment/arahantship (provided, of course, that they follow the Eightfold Path?)
Yes, unless one commits patricide, matricide, hurts a Buddha, causes schism in the holy order of monks, or kills an arahant

edit* if I have understood the matter correctly
Last edited by mlswe on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

There is nothing wrong with Buddha Nature.
Just as there is nothing wrong with unicorns.
Its just that in nature they don't exist.
Fede

Post by Fede »

I've downloaded the talk, and will comment once I've listened to it in full.
he has a nice voice....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

There's also "Freedom from Buddha Nature"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ature.html
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Aloka wrote:There's also "Freedom from Buddha Nature"

Excellent...the section on No Innate Nature is a particularly clear setting out of the Buddha's teaching as found in the Pali Canon, and a good indicator of why it might be more honest to talk about Buddhisms rather than Buddhism.
darvki

Post by darvki »

The article's concluding paragraph begins with: "So instead of making assumptions about innate natures or inevitable outcomes..."

My issue with this is that no one ever said buddha nature had to be an innate nature or an inevitable outcome. Ironically, rejection of the term only seems necessary if one has made assumptions, in this case about its meaning. Some may refer to buddha nature as an innate quality, but no one ever rejects the mention of kamma or nibbana solely because some have embellished the meaning of those words into "cosmic justice system" and "permanent bliss-out" (although usually for thier Sanskrit cognates).

Yes, when it comes to the Buddhadhamma we try to look past metaphysics and ontology. However, that doesn't mean that words like "nature" have to become off-limits.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

darvki wrote:

The article's concluding paragraph begins with: "So instead of making assumptions about innate natures or inevitable outcomes..."

My issue with this is that no one ever said buddha nature had to be an innate nature or an inevitable outcome.
But very frequently it gets used that way.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

The yearly arrival of a Buddha-nature thread:

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

In Tibetan Buddhism, 'Buddha Nature' is defined as "Unrealised enlightened mind, the essential nature of all sentient beings"

( from 'Awakening the Sleeping Buddha' by the 12th Tai Situpa)

Last edited by Aloka on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

tiltbillings wrote:The yearly arrival of a Buddha-nature thread:

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I started that one. lol !
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Aloka wrote:In Tibetan Buddhism, 'Buddha Nature' is defined as "Unrealised enlightened mind, the essential nature of all sentient beings"

( from 'Awakening the Sleeping Buddha' by the 12th Tai Situpa)
Dogen did it better: Buddha-nature=impermanence.