A dāna section

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Wizard in the Forest

A dāna section

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

Might I suggest and recommend that perhaps there be a section in Modern Theravada dedicated solely to dāna? This can include questions regarding the practice of dāna and the opportunity to offer things to the forum as dāna.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
Annapurna

Re: A dāna section

Post by Annapurna »

I think a pinned thread would suffice.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings WITF
To date, we've had: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm happy for you to start a thread on an aspect of dana that interests you. I would be inclined to create a thread on the practice of dana in the dhammaduta sub-forum as dana is invariably tied to propagation of the Dhamma as well as personal practice. To date, we haven't had a groundswell of interest to warrant the creation of a new subforum just on dana. However, we will be happy to reconsider if there is both interest and activity to warrant the creation of a forum.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Ben wrote:To date, we haven't had a groundswell of interest to warrant the creation of a new subforum just on dana. However, we will be happy to reconsider if there is both interest and activity to warrant the creation of a forum.
I think Ben's point is crucial to any good number of sub-forums we could potentially have.

What I think is also important to note is that there nothing preventing anyone discussing these things as it is. Many of the sub-forums created to date have been created because the kinds of discussion they're designed to facilitate are difficult to manage without the appropriate constraints and guidelines in place. For example, the Mahavihara section exists so that people can discuss commentaries without having to justify the commentaries. The Suttanta meditation section exists so that if people wish to practice meditation as the Buddha taught it, they don't have to battle over arguments rooted in commentarial reasoning to do so. Likewise, the Dhamma Free For All exists so that people can discuss heterodox interpretations of the Dhamma they believe without being reviled as heretics. That's just a couple of examples. It's hard to see how people couldn't discuss dana within any number of the current forums, should the desire to do so arise.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."