Self-Defence

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Self-Defence

Post by DNS »

lojong1 wrote:Sorry, you had pc74 already!...
I see self-defense all over that rule.
Me too.

Here is the full text:

74. Should any bhikkhu, angered and displeased, give a blow to (another) bhikkhu, it is to be confessed.

The factors for the full offense here are three.

* 1) Object: another bhikkhu.
* 2) Effort: One gives him a blow
* 3) Intention: out of anger.

Non-offenses. According to the Vibhaṅga, there is no offense for a bhikkhu who, trapped in a difficult situation, gives a blow "desiring freedom." The Commentary's discussion of this point shows that it includes what we at present would call self-defense; and the K/Commentary's analysis of the factors of the offense here shows that even if anger or displeasure arises in one's mind in cases like this, there is no penalty.

Summary: Giving a blow to another bhikkhu when impelled by anger — except in self-defense — is a pācittiya offense.

And another important point to the above is that that is the rule for monks. How much more leeway might lay people have? Not to kill of course, but certainly protect for self-defense.
Fede

Post by Fede »

Brilliant! Most helpful, David, Thank you kindly!! :clap:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jason

Post by Jason »

I guess I spoke too soon. Nice detective work, everyone. :)
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
Fede

Post by Fede »

Bless you Jason. I'm still gonna write the Bikkhu! :clap:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rudybro

Post by rudybro »

What would be the best self defense method? I really want to learn the techniques.
“I'll bet the hardest thing about prize fightin' is pickin' up yer teeth with a sap glove on”

-RudyBrothers-
Ben

Post by Ben »

rudybro wrote:What would be the best self defense method? I really want to learn the techniques.
Running away
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

#1 Running away - I fight that didn't happen is a fight that you've won for sure

in case your attacker is faster, or it can't be avoided:

#2 I'd say Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - it's a martial art where you don't even have to throw a punch/kick to defend yourself (it's rather about controlling 'the enemy' by using arm locks and chokes - this is all about technique and not about strength)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

My first martial arts teacher had some good instruction:

Build up the muscle and power in your legs, with weights, stairclimbing, rowing, stretching and other exercises. The legs have much more power and strength than the arms. The mere size of the legs over the arms demonstrates the vast superior power in the legs over the arms and fists.

So build up your leg power as much as possible. By having power in your legs you can defend yourself. And if that doesn't work, you can always run.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

David N. Snyder wrote:My first martial arts teacher had some good instruction:

Build up the muscle and power in your legs, with weights, stairclimbing, rowing, stretching and other exercises. The legs have much more power and strength than the arms. The mere size of the legs over the arms demonstrates the vast superior power in the legs over the arms and fists.

So build up your leg power as much as possible. By having power in your legs you can defend yourself. And if that doesn't work, you can always run.

Techniques using arms (ex: fingers to be more precise) are far worse than most/any leg kicks. I wouldn't be afraid of getting kicked, I am more afraid of certain kinds of open hand techniques that can kill, or severely damage. Brute force isn't always better.

With best wishes,

Alex
ajay

Post by ajay »

One of the core concepts of buddhism is nonviolence.meththa is the key word.even to your enemies you have to practice meththa.you have realise that you have no self to defend.our aim is to annihilate this feeling of self.l;me,mine are a delusion.evev for laymen if you can pracrice the world will very much peaceful.
An automatic response to avoid a blow is differrent.but to strike back i dont think is compatible with non violence.
Theruwan saranai.
mpcahn

Post by mpcahn »

The best method of self defense is to live in a way that the possibility of violence is minimized. This site: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/ discusses it well. While BJJ would be the best fighting style if you get into a fight, the best way to defend yourself is not to get into a fight.
is the mind us? Is it ours? Slash on down! Whatever is going to be destroyed, let it be destroyed. We feel no regrets. We want only the truth. (Ajahn Maha Boowa)
alan

Post by alan »

I have not found anything in the suttas addressing self defense. It seems the idea was not discussed.
We all know the simile of the sword; as far I as I can tell he really meant it.
For non-monks in a difficult environment, running like hell seems the best idea. Avoiding surroundings where violence is likely to occur in the first place also makes sense.
Bodhisurfer

Post by Bodhisurfer »

I've been learning and practising various martial arts for many yearsnow -I currently train in BJJ which is a very effective martial art. It does have limitations for example It doesnt deal particularly well with multiple opponents.

However I've always thought this to be particularly true:
""Monks, for one whose awareness-release through good will is cultivated, developed, pursued, handed the reins and taken as a basis, given a grounding, steadied, consolidated, and well-undertaken, eleven benefits can be expected. Which eleven?

"One sleeps easily, wakes easily, dreams no evil dreams. One is dear to human beings, dear to non-human beings. The devas protect one. Neither fire, poison, nor weapons can touch one. One's mind gains concentration quickly. One's complexion is bright. One dies unconfused and — if penetrating no higher — is headed for the Brahma worlds.

"These are the eleven benefits that can be expected for one whose awareness-release through good will is cultivated, developed, pursued, handed the reins and taken as a basis, given a grounding, steadied, consolidated, and well-undertaken." AN 11.16

so it would seem that the Triple Gem is our best protection :smile:
Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

Bodhisurfer wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:35 pm I've been learning and practising various martial arts for many yearsnow -I currently train in BJJ which is a very effective martial art. It does have limitations for example It doesnt deal particularly well with multiple opponents.

However I've always thought this to be particularly true:
""Monks, for one whose awareness-release through good will is cultivated, developed, pursued, handed the reins and taken as a basis, given a grounding, steadied, consolidated, and well-undertaken, eleven benefits can be expected. Which eleven?

"One sleeps easily, wakes easily, dreams no evil dreams. One is dear to human beings, dear to non-human beings. The devas protect one. Neither fire, poison, nor weapons can touch one. One's mind gains concentration quickly. One's complexion is bright. One dies unconfused and — if penetrating no higher — is headed for the Brahma worlds.

"These are the eleven benefits that can be expected for one whose awareness-release through good will is cultivated, developed, pursued, handed the reins and taken as a basis, given a grounding, steadied, consolidated, and well-undertaken." AN 11.16

so it would seem that the Triple Gem is our best protection :smile:
:goodpost:
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

How ethical would it be for a Buddhist layperson to carry a knife or gun for self-defense? I'm wondering because not everyone has the privilege of living in a safe environment.