Ask A Teacher.

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
PeterB

Re: Ask A Teacher.

Post by PeterB »

Should such a subforum happen on this Forum and should it follow the pattern set by ZFI the discussion leaders would be the Bhikkhus......(.whether they would want that role is another issue altogether.) Just as on ZFI the discussion leaders are Zen lineage holders
Aloka is correct longevity in Dhamma is not enough in itself. As one Ajahn was heard to say " show me a man with 20 years meditation experience which is self directed and I will show you a man with one years experience repeated 20 times.."
Ben

Post by Ben »

I actually think Peter's idea has merit and I would back a trial to see how it worked here. That is, if board software has the functionality, wasn't an onerous impost on mod/admin and 'teacher-designates' time and the support of my mod/admin colleagues.
If Peter's idea doesn't get off the ground, we can produce a close facsimile of it by drastically reducing the amount of off-topic (inc meta-discussion) posts we are individually responsible for. And it will go a long way in making a significant improvement of everyone's experience of DW.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Personally speaking, I find some of the most intelligent, applicable, inspirational (for me), answers and comments come from 'regular' participants here...setting people up as 'teachers', no matter their station in life, or this forum, is a recipe for sour apples...just one more 'feeling' from this corner...

Be well...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Bhante,
appicchato wrote:Personally speaking, I find some of the most intelligent, applicable, inspirational (for me), answers and comments come from 'regular' participants here...setting people up as 'teachers', no matter their station in life, or this forum, is a recipe for sour apples...just one more 'feeling' from this corner...

Be well...
I have similar concerns regarding the use of the term 'teacher'. Perhaps then we just need to change the terminology if this idea was to proceed?
Just a thought!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

appicchato wrote:Personally speaking, I find some of the most intelligent, applicable, inspirational (for me), answers and comments come from 'regular' participants here...setting people up as 'teachers', no matter their station in life, or this forum, is a recipe for sour apples...just one more 'feeling' from this corner...

Be well...
Its sad to see that a knee-jerk egalitarianism has infected the Sangha.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a recognition of teacher status .
It would not be compulsory for people who are more comfortable pissing into the tent rather than out of it.
And the forum will never run out of those.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Here we go... :popcorn:
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

It would not be compulsory for people who are more comfortable pissing into the tent rather than out of it.
What does this mean?

I've been enjoying Yuttadhammo's series of "Ask A Monk" on youtube. It's very interesting to see what concerns ordinary people have who are drawn to this practice, and how an ordained person responds to these with some sensitivity.
It would also be very interesting to see how these responses vary from different monks. Although they may be said to be all chanting from the same chanting book.. :smile:

:anjali:
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

It means that there will always be those who prefer to knock around the periphery of a forum rather than engage with its core mission. Which in the case of Dhamma Wheel is to discuss the Dhamma Of The Theravada.
That is of course their perogative...and that there will always be those who will turn up at any sign of a fight, almost like male moths being drawn by the scent of a female moth two miles away....its uncanny.( Just watch the names at the bttom of the page and see who turns up at the slightest whiff of dissonance...after a while you can predict it with complete confidence... :smile:) rather than place questions to those named as having the authority to answer.
And that is of course THEIR perogative.

:hello:
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

M'kay. Thanks Peter. Perhaps that is the case.
Folk want/need to "know" that they are "right" and that they are backing the "winning" team don't they?
But that can apply equally to "engagers" who emphasise or invite contention, and voyeurs who just seek it out, can it not?

I don't think anyone can draw a line which definitively separates "me" from practicing "The Dhamma of the Theravada".
It will always get personal and messy to some extent, won't it?

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Sorry Imagemarie I am a simple soul, I have no idea what any of that means.

The nearest I can get to any kind of meaning seems to suggest a non dual view.

Which if so forms no part of my experience nor aspiration.
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

How about if there was a way for people who want to "ask a monk/ask a teacher" to submit their questions privately somewhere, where the submissions could be viewed by the designated teachers, who can then (if they choose) make a post containing both the question and their answer in it. It might even be helpful to omit the name of the person who submitted the question.

Then, the thread may or may not be left open for comments and questions from forum members.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
octathlon wrote:How about if there was a way for people who want to "ask a monk/ask a teacher" to submit their questions privately somewhere
Which leads me to wonder, given that we don't have a great deal of active monks here, if someone wanted to ask a monk or someone who they viewed as a "teacher", couldn't they just PM the person and ask the question? :shrug:

I sense the bhikkhus here do not want to be forcibly put up on a pedestal, as this would undermine their Dhammic efforts towards humility and release of mana (conceit). I respect this. If we were to take what is being talked about and consider it analogously to a "meatspace" environment, it's akin a grand assembly, where venerables Appicchato, Pesala and co, are sat up on high, luxurious chairs as individuals come up and circumambulate them and pose questions to them in front of a captive audience, seeking definite Dhamma teaching and instruction. I don't think that's fair on them - who says they want to be distinguished as "teachers", who says their preceptors would even endorse such a thing? It seems awfully problematic to me and whilst it sounds like a nice idea on the surface, I think it's fraught with problems and inconvenience.

I'm just pleased we have here some ordained members who will lend their perspectives when they feel it is appropriate to do so - I think those offerings should be appreciated for what they are.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I find it worthwhile to hear from the ordained members perspective as well as many of the non-ordained. Definitely good to create an environment where the venerables feel welcome and I hope to be able to see many more posts from them.

:namaste:
_/|\_
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
octathlon wrote:How about if there was a way for people who want to "ask a monk/ask a teacher" to submit their questions privately somewhere
Which leads me to wonder, given that we don't have a great deal of active monks here, if someone wanted to ask a monk or someone who they viewed as a "teacher", couldn't they just PM the person and ask the question? :shrug:

I sense the bhikkhus here do not want to be forcibly put up on a pedestal, as this would undermine their Dhammic efforts towards humility and release of mana (conceit). I respect this. If we were to take what is being talked about and consider it analogously to a "meatspace" environment, it's akin a grand assembly, where venerables Appicchato, Pesala and co, are sat up on high, luxurious chairs as individuals come up and circumambulate them and pose questions to them in front of a captive audience, seeking definite Dhamma teaching and instruction. I don't think that's fair on them - who says they want to be distinguished as "teachers", who says their preceptors would even endorse such a thing? It seems awfully problematic to me and whilst it sounds like a nice idea on the surface, I think it's fraught with problems and inconvenience.

I'm just pleased we have here some ordained members who will lend their perspectives when they feel it is appropriate to do so - I think those offerings should be appreciated for what they are.

Metta,
Retro. :)
As you know Retro the idea originally came from dropping into ZFI and seeing how well it works there.
But on reflection it seems that most of the forum Bhikkhus do not see themselves as having a role analogous to that of Zen teachers. Among a number of differences between Bhikkhus and Zen teachers is the obvious fact that that fewer of the former have access to a PC.
It was probably ill thought through..Forget I spoke.