Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
PeterB

Re: Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

Post by PeterB »

Aint that the truth...I find myself from time to time wondering how some members would cope with the rough and tumble of meat sangha. Theres nothing like it.....or as my hero Foghorn would say "theres nuthin', ah say theres nuthin' like it son ! "
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Jhana4 wrote:It might be worthwhile to just to drop it ( cold ).
Likely where it go.
DW will continue to thrive. Everyone in your real life will continue to treat you exactly as before.
No question about it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

PeterB wrote:Aint that the truth...I find myself from time to time wondering how some members would cope with the rough and tumble of meat sangha.
If by that you mean a real sangha, instead of a web board they might do quite well. I think the internet breeds this kind of thing being anonymous and also being slightly hypnotic, like television. People who would otherwise deal with disappointment in a skillful manner, in real life, when faced with real people, can fly off the handle on the internet.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
nathan

Post by nathan »

PeterB wrote:Aint that the truth...I find myself from time to time wondering how some members would cope with the rough and tumble of meat sangha. Theres nothing like it.....or as my hero Foghorn would say "theres nuthin', ah say theres nuthin' like it son ! "
Oh dear yes. The last monastery I was at they beat the crap out of me for buttering the toast on the wrong side. I barely escaped with my life. Tilt is the wind beneath my wings.
Last edited by nathan on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Jhana4 wrote:
PeterB wrote:Aint that the truth...I find myself from time to time wondering how some members would cope with the rough and tumble of meat sangha.
If by that you mean a real sangha, instead of a web board they might do quite well. I think the internet breeds this kind of thing being anonymous and also being slightly hypnotic, like television. People who would otherwise deal with disappointment in a skillful manner, in real life, when faced with real people, can fly off the handle on the internet.
I was actually thinking about that. In real life groups one has to deal with various practical stuff, and certain personality conflicts, which of course can be a bit challenging. However, the difference is that (in my experience) those things generally have almost nothing to do with Dhamma itself. They are usually purely mundane, like any other real-life group...

What, for me, is very different and puzzling on boards like this is how important what in real life are (to me) small differences in interpretation of Dhamma seem to become. Perhaps it's because I'm so grateful for any contact with long term practitioners and/or teachers that whether they are sutta/commentary advocates or vipassana/jhana practitioners are of little concern. It's such a pleasure to talk to good practitioners.

Of course, it's clear that in a Forum situation, analytical discussion are the most obvious thing to do. But it still surprises me that these differences can cause such polarization. Rather simply discussing and acknowledging the various views out there, there seems to be a determination to find "the truth" through argument...

Perhaps a key difference between the Internet and real life is that if one finds that a real-life group is unsuitable or uncomfortable, one will simply not bother to return. Returning to an Internet group takes no effort, so such arguments are likely to continue for much longer...

:anjali:
Mike
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

mikenz66 wrote: What, for me, is very different and puzzling on boards like this is how important what in real life are (to me) small differences in interpretation of Dhamma seem to become.
I really do believe that computer use is hypnotic. Maybe it is the bright lights and colors, combined with anonymity and using it alone.

People can become very sad or angry from watching a movie, which is fiction. Same thing with a television show or even a book. Why? Its all fiction. I think all those things involve some sort of induction, like hypnosis or meditation. Once there a daydream is painted. A happy daydream can be painted and the person will feel good. Or a nasty one can be painted. A nasty one that to a person who is in a slight trance will bypass all of their rational filters for handling small disturbances and go right to a place where an overdone response will be created.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I think two things happen simultaneously..one is that people are disinhibited by anonymity, and two in the absence of other social cues they fall back on to a range of cognitive shuffles.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

:focus: ?
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

alan wrote:If anyone can tell me how to respond to Hannze without mocking him, I'd like to hear it.
Once, twice, OK. Three times, 6 times? How about every time? Let's face it--if every post is laughably dumb then the only response is to treat it like comic relief. Sorry if this offends those with tender senses, but Hannze has made no effort to clarify his thoughts, good-natured though they may be. Why should I take them seriously?
Alan,

This is not so much about offending others but about harming yourself.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Viscid wrote:Also, Hanzze is the most lovable person on this forum and you Hanzze-bashers have got no heart.
:heart: :heart: Hanzze :heart: :heart:
:twothumbsup:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

:focus: ?
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Both sides have had their say. Maybe it is time to turn off the ability to post new posts in this thread?
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

The thread is about suggestions to improve Dhammawheel, not this specific case.

Edit: I just read the original post again. I think I am wrong. Sorry.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mawkish1983 wrote:The thread is about suggestions to improve Dhammawheel, not this specific case.
Actually, you are quite correct: The thread is about suggestions to improve Dhammawheel.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

tiltbillings wrote:The thread is about suggestions to improve Dhammawheel.
IMO Dhamma Wheel is healthy and functioning well. The moderators are doing an outstanding job with an appropriately light touch. That said, I don't spend much time reading threads or posts which I consider to be trivial and/or frivolous.

All the best,

Geoff