Alm Bowls

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Cittasanto

Alm Bowls

Post by Cittasanto »

how are these made both historically and today?
just wondering if the line in the satipatthana sutta
Just as a skilled turner or his apprentice, when making a long turn, discerns that he is making a long turn, or when making a short turn discerns that he is making a short turn
has anything to do with this also?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dhammanando

Re: Alm Bowls

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:how are these made both historically and today?
It seems that in the Buddha's time clay was the commonest material (hence the many Vinaya rules concerned with treating one's almsbowl with great care, to avoid breakage). Nowadays iron and stainless steel are the norm in Thailand, and lacquerware bowls in Burma.
just wondering if the line in the satipatthana sutta

Just as a skilled turner or his apprentice, when making a long turn, discerns that he is making a long turn, or when making a short turn discerns that he is making a short turn has anything to do with this also?

No, a turner would be working with wood, which is a prohibited material for almsbowls. Also, I should think the turners of the Buddha's day are more likely to have been engaged in bodging than bowl-making.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
SeerObserver

Post by SeerObserver »

Dhammanando wrote:No, a turner would be working with wood, which is a prohibited material for almsbowls. Also, I should think the turners of the Buddha's day are more likely to have been engaged in bodging than bowl-making.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Namasakarn, Dhammando Bhikkhu.

What is the basis of this prohibition, and what lies below the surface even further? For example, it is said certain meats are prohibited not just because of acquisition issues, but further because the body may emit smells that inspire vengeful behavior from predatory animals. So wood may be prohibited for sanitary reasons (just a guess), but is there something further as well?
Fede

Post by Fede »

"Bodging" - ! haven't heard that term for ages!

Shame that the name for a skilled craftsman fell into the use of a misnomer for one incapable of completing a task well!
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi SeerObserver,
SeerObserver wrote:What is the basis of this prohibition, and what lies below the surface even further? For example, it is said certain meats are prohibited not just because of acquisition issues, but further because the body may emit smells that inspire vengeful behavior from predatory animals. So wood may be prohibited for sanitary reasons (just a guess), but is there something further as well?
When laying down the prohibition against wooden almsbowls the Buddha didn't give any reason, but issues of hygiene do seem a likely explanation.

Later, prohibitions were laid down against almsbowls made of gold, silver, mother-of-pearl, beryl, crystal, bronze, glass, tin, lead, and copper (as well as a requirement that bowls be made of either clay or iron). These were in response to householders complaining that the monks, in using such bowls, were acting like householders (a stock phrase in Vinaya origin stories).

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Fede wrote:"Bodging" - ! haven't heard that term for ages!
Me neither. It betrays our age. :tongue:

When I was a boy we still had itinerant bodgers in Yorkshire, but I believe they've all gone, with only hobbyists now preserving the craft.

http://www.ukcraftfairs.com/guide-to-bodging.asp

http://www.stuartking.co.uk/index.php/c ... ghamshire/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodging

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Thanks Bhante,
for any who are interested here is the bowl chapter on A2I by Thanissaro
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... h07-3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

are other people aloud to clean a monk's bowl? can a woman clean a monk's bowl?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

jcsuperstar wrote:are other people aloud to clean a monk's bowl? can a woman clean a monk's bowl?
My personal experience: I've seen lay people cleaning monk's bowls (not often though)...and can't say that I've seen a female doing it...but is probably copacetic... :smile:
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi JC,
jcsuperstar wrote:are other people aloud to clean a monk's bowl? can a woman clean a monk's bowl?
They may if the monk lets them, but many monks prefer not to since few laypeople will know all the rules about the proper treatment of an almsbowl.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Due to some lingering animistic beliefs in Thailand to do with the nature of women, it is assumed that a woman should not touch anything belonging to a monk, like his robes or bowl. This is not supported by any Vinaya rule as such.

Often laymen washing monks' bowls will scratch it, so monks prefer to do it themselves.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations