Kadampa Tradition

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
BJR

Kadampa Tradition

Post by BJR »

I am very new and just starting to investigate Buddhist thinking and philosophy. I have found out that there is a local meditation event described as being in the New Kadampa Tradition. What is the difference between this and Theravada? Is it something deep and different such as Church of England versus the Catholic church or just two sides of the same coin? Sorry upfront if this is a very ignorant or (hopefully not) offensive question.
Akuma

Re: Kadampa Tradition

Post by Akuma »

BJR wrote:I am very new and just starting to investigate Buddhist thinking and philosophy. I have found out that there is a local meditation event described as being in the New Kadampa Tradition. What is the difference between this and Theravada? Is it something deep and different such as Church of England versus the Catholic church or just two sides of the same coin? Sorry upfront if this is a very ignorant or (hopefully not) offensive question.
I think its deeper than the Church Of England vs Catholic Church as not even the "bibles" are the same - if I'd have to compare that I'd rather compare it like Judaism vs Christianity.
Theravada bases their teachings on the Pali Canon + Pali Commentaries and is using older scriptures while Vajrayana aka Tibetan Buddhism of which New Kadampa is a subschool uses newer scriptures which are also not written in Pali but mostly in Tibetan. Additionally I remember that in Tibetan Buddhism New Kadampa was or is controversial altho I dont remember why.
I'd recommend getting a book about how Buddhism began, divided into different schools and how it spread over different countries. Maybe "Buddhist Thought" by Williams is a good choice.
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

Wikipedia says it's considered controversial.

Qutoe from Wikipedia:

"David V. Barrett has characterized the NKT-IKBU as "one of the newest and most controversial Buddhist movements", mainly due to the Dorje Shugden controversy in the Tibetan community"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Kadampa_Tradition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's supposed to be Mahayana, rather than Theravada.
Hello, I am not actually a Buddhist, and I know only some very limited basics about Buddhism. I'd like to know a bit more and to ask a few questions, if that's OK. :)
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

And by the way, I think discussion of this Dorje Shugden thing is probably best avoided.
Hello, I am not actually a Buddhist, and I know only some very limited basics about Buddhism. I'd like to know a bit more and to ask a few questions, if that's OK. :)
BJR

Post by BJR »

Thank you both - guess I need to do some research before I upset people by asking any stupid questions :embarassed:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Marmalade wrote:And by the way, I think discussion of this Dorje Shugden thing is probably best avoided.
Why?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Don't go anywhere near the New Kadampa, they are a dangerous cult.

P.S. This question is best asked over at dharmawheel.net
BJR

Post by BJR »

Really? They are running meditation sessions in my local area in council run premises ( Town Halls/ Libraries etc )
cooran

Post by cooran »

Ben wrote:
Marmalade wrote:And by the way, I think discussion of this Dorje Shugden thing is probably best avoided.
Why?
His Holiness the Dalai Lama's Advice Concerning Dolgyal (Shugden)
http://www.dalailama.com/messages/dolgy ... ess-advice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

tamdrin wrote:Don't go anywhere near the New Kadampa, they are a dangerous cult.
^ This
Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

yeah man they are bad news in general.. Especially if they try and get you to do the practice of dorje shugden which is in fact a lama who reincarnated in the hungry ghost realm who is a demon, who they practice against the strict advice of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and cause all sorts of problems in general.. I have heard many many stories about people who got involved with that group and found out it was a BIG mistake. Especially don't take empowerments or vows with them as this will be forming an irreveresible commitment to them with no chance of turning back.

http://www.dalailama.com/messages/dolgy ... ess-advice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.antishugden.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings BJR

From a Theravadin's point of view:
The Vajra community are split into those who support the Kadampa and those who do not. Its true that there is some controversy surrounding the sub-tradition in regards to the propitiation of the spirit 'Shugden'. And seen from afar, it would appear that two camps (Dalai Lama and supporters) and Kadampas are both calling each other 'evil' for arcane historical and political reasons that mean virtually nothing to me except as a curiosity.
As a Theravadin I'm not inclined to take any instruction from the Mahayana or Vajrayana. That is the result of the confidence I have in the tradition (and sub-tradition) in which I practice.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

Ah the demon-worshippers - I knew there was something about them that I forgot :lol:
And I dont think anyones upset BJR everyone's a newbie at some point. Just stay calm, grab soem good books and take your time :smile: :reading:
BJR

Post by BJR »

Good advice I have to say it makes me nervous as it seems like an innocent meditation session in a local council run environment and I find out there is all sorts of undercurrents attached to the discussion topic. I need to learn more from books and the written word (and forums like this) before I expose myself in person to any third parties I don't know.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

on the otherhand there is nothing with the Kadampa tradition of old, just not the "new" kadampa...