When someone asks what it takes to become a Buddhist...

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
rowyourboat

Re: When someone asks what it takes to become a Buddhist...

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi PeterB,

I found myself taking precepts yesterday before the meditation class and what it was for me was a resolution, to 'give up' trying to be a 'lamp unto myself' and follow the guidance and refuge offered by the triple gem (Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha). Thinking more on it, it develops faith (reasoned..) in the triple gem... and to develop such faith in the first place, some degree of understanding of the teachings (dhamma) is required. There is part of the Pali chanting which focuses on the qualities of the triple gem. I find this bit more aspirational and inspirational.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Wizard in the Forest wrote:
Annapurna wrote: the anger we feel about someone else shows us what we are angry about in ourselves.

So, you got a job to do within yourself. . :anjali:

Will you be angry at me now?

;)

Soooo angry! Rwaaawr! :rofl:

No, no, but truly I think I am less angry at myself, more angry at an idea, and I'd be a liar if I didn't say I am angry with this person. I am not the type of person to deny my own culpability, but I also recognize when a person is merely using others to start a fight, and to bully people for helping a n00b and suggesting to take the precepts and refuge to become a Buddhist is ridiculous, and undermines practice and understanding by n00bz.
I understand. :hug:
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Wizard in the Forest wrote:Is it really unskillful to tell the truth? What harm could befall telling others about taking refuge and taking up the precepts?
Hi Wizard,

I´ve been "practicing" for many years, but I've never formally made such a thing as "taking a refugee or the precepts" (I find myself progressively abandoning wrong behaviours that get me closer to the precepts rather than radically following the precepts from one precise moment). And, although I am seriously considering going forth, I have problems to directly answer a clear YES when people ask me "So, have you become a Buddhist?". The answer would depend on what the other person thinks about what is Buddhism (which uses to be a weird concept), and I don´t feel becoming anything new, I just feel releasing and giving away many things.

"The ABC of Buddhism does not begin with the Triple Gems, but rather it begins with learning about how the eyes, ear, nose, tongue, body and mind respond to the contact made upon them by external objects (tangible and abstract) till it gives rise to a sense of consciousness, contact and feeling until finally it leads to the emergence of craving, attachement and suffering. It is only when we are able to restrain the birth of such unwholesome states of mind that we will then be able to estinguish our suffering and only then will the Triple Gems emerge by themselves".

Buddhadasa. "A Consigned Legacy". Legacy no. 67
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I personally don't feel taking refuge should be taken too seriously. If you believe there is a problem out there which can be fixed by the triple gem, even though you might not know quite how that happens, I feel you are qualified to take refuge. By taking refuge no particular harm can come- I don't agree at with the idea put forward that it like handing the control of a plane, to someone who doesn't know about flying an airplane. The airplane is already in the air, you are piloting it- taking refuge is the equivalent of suddenly becoming aware that you are the pilot and that you have to fly this thing. It is the start of identifying that there is a problem and that you need to find a solution.

Incidentally going for refuge (with understanding) is far better for you, than giving Dana to the Buddha and his disciplea, according to the Velama sutta.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha