Poll The fruits of Retreat.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

What fruits have you experienced as a result of retreat.

1) Very Positive
71%
2)Positive
25%
3) Negative
No votes
4 Neutral.l
4%

Total votes: 28

PeterB

Re: Poll The fruits of Retreat.

Post by PeterB »

Mine too Mike...absolutely essential for my practice.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I second MikeNZ on that. My first retreat did for me in 5days what took me a 5 weeks at home. I can say for myself that I see the suttas coming alive when I practice on retreat. There is nothing beyond reach, in that perfect environment for dhamma practice. Any negative experiences? A bit of frustration re lack of progress (which is a common problem for me) but that is not only in retreats! I think retreats are best utilised to catapault the mind to greater depths than we can do at home.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

:anjali:
phil

Post by phil »

Very impressive comments, I'm glad I asked in the other thread. You know the way a comment that you read or hear can stick in your mind for years, I think something from these posts will do so and help me to do a retreat in Thailand in the the future, thanks. But I think of Cooran's signature, which I've known for years here and elsewhere: 'The problem is that you think you have time.'

edit. I could also think of doing a Goenka retreat, available here in Japan, get over any prejudices I have and give it a shot....
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
alan

Post by alan »

Tell you the truth, first 3 days of my first retreat were filled with dreams of escape. I dreamed of jumping over the wall and running off!
The fruits? Learning to sit through that.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

PeterB wrote: For the second poll I considered having above the" Very Positive " option an " Essential" option.but seemed to have the potential to be divisive.
As there was the possibilty that it would be interpretated not simply as essential for that individual, but for for everyone.
When I first started practise rightly or wrongly I viewed the life of the Theravadin monk forsaking homelife as the standard of Buddhist practise handed down by the Buddha, after all what we are seeking to achieve is supposed to be something you dedicate your life to because it isn't something that comes easy.

Doing regular intensive retreats instead as a layman I think is a good compromise on that, giving the chance to experience elements of the monastic life for periods of time while still being engaged in the outside world.

I don't think one really can understand the mind and how dukkha works unless one has spent weeks or months looking at it with no distraction and no escape.

I realise that some people are just beginning and others have commitments that prevent them for the time being, but talking about Buddhism on the internet is no substitute, though it can be a good complement.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

And mine....and I know two people who on seperate occasions did just that....one went back some months later..
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

mikenz66 wrote:One of my Dhamma friends likes to use a rachet analogy. Daily practise done well prevents slipping back, but it is difficult to really rachet forward without retreats. At least that's our experience.
I've found that progress is proportional to time spent practising - and on retreats we tend to spend more time practising.

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Goofaholix wrote:I don't think one really can understand the mind and how dukkha works unless one has spent weeks or months looking at it with no distraction and no escape.
I've found that there can be quite a lot of distractions on retreat - unless it's a solitary retreat. ;)

Spiny
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I have found more distractions on a solitary retreat than a group retreat...chacun a son gout and all that...
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Spiny O'Norman wrote: I've found that there can be quite a lot of distractions on retreat - unless it's a solitary retreat. ;)
True, but the distractions experienced on retreat are much closer to the root cause of distraction, whereas the distractions of daily life tend to distract you from distraction itself.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

What you put into your practise is what you will get out of it.
I have been on retreats where some of the yogis seem to think having a chitty chat about dive islands they have been to or or planning to go to are brilliant.Which country they are going to next,etc.
My advice is that no matter where you go to practise, put your heart into it.
The good thing about retreats is that you will(hopefully) have good teachers, who can guide you in your practise.This is invaluable, especially for newbies.Once you get past the early wake up call, and the not eating after midday stuff, if you practise according to your teachers instructions, results will begin to show.
With metta,
Phra Greg
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
phil

Post by phil »

Goofaholix wrote: I realise that some people are just beginning and others have commitments that prevent them for the time being, but talking about Buddhism on the internet is no substitute, though it can be a good complement.
Not all devoted lay followers of the Buddha talk about it on the internet, Goofaholix. But I have often wondered just how much using the internet interferes with the meditation practice of people who are not on retreats. I live in a quiet residential area and tend to get up very early so am able to meditate an hour each morning. But if I use the internet the night before it interferes, definitely. There are many degrees of renunciation. Giving up the internet completely would have a dramatic impact on my ongoing development of understanding, I think. The cost of losing the chance to discuss Dhamma (since I don't have Theravadin friends here) would be outweighed by the weaking of the hindrances, I think. The hindrances are definitely fuelled by using the internet a lot. In any case, please don't present diligent lay practice without retreats as being equivalent to talking about Buddhism on the internet. :smile:
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Phra Chuntawongso wrote:My advice is that no matter where you go to practise, put your heart into it.
Sadhu!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

I mostly do solo retreats, but when I do them, they're very rewarding.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir