How to beat chocolate cravings

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
tiltbillings

Re: How to beat chocolate cravings

Post by tiltbillings »

Metta-4 wrote:This is the only place I've ever been in my entire life where people will argue over a piece of chocolate. :tongue:

M4
If the eucharist were high cocoa content dark chocolate I'd still be a Catholic. Mmmmm. Chocolate good.

Sacred Bean Pod
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

PeterB wrote:Actually Anna that has become the accepted name for that range of mountains...they are in fact the HIMALYAS prounced him-ahl-yass :smile:
Peter, of course you are a Native speaker and all, but "Leo org. online Dictionary" and Wiki spell it Himalaya..... :shrug:

Leo:
the Himalayas pl. [geog.] der Himalaja auch: Himalaya
Wiki:
The Himalaya Range or Himalaya Mountains (pronounced /ˌhɪməˈleɪ.ə/ or /hɪˈmɑːlᵊjə/,[1][2] Sanskrit: literally, "abode of snow", Sanskrit: Devanagari: हिमालय), usually called the Himalayas or Himalaya for short, is a mountain range in Asia, separating the Indian subcontinent from the Tibetan Plateau. By extension, it is also the name of a massive mountain system that includes the Karakoram, the Hindu Kush, and other, lesser, ranges that extend out from the Pamir Knot.
I may be wrong, but other google researches also speak of the Himalaya!

Now what is it?? :cry:

Perhaps this is a thing like "definately", instead of "definitely"? A phonetic way of writing it?

Don't know? :thinking:

Thanks for explaining,

Anna :smile:
Last edited by Annapurna on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Metta-4 wrote:This is the only place I've ever been in my entire life where people will argue over a piece of chocolate. :tongue:

M4
Its different when we 'argue'. :tongue: Of course only like cultivated Buddhists argue. ;)
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

They are both correct in a sense Anna...you are quite correct in that the usual pronuciation is four sylables with the stress on the third, Him a LAY a. but those Brits who have been there there and Brit Tibetan Buddhists tend to say it with three sylables with the emphasis on the second Him AL yass....
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Anyhoo back to the topic....I have constant weight issues...but enjoy a bit of chocolate now and then without feeling the need to self flagellate or wring my hands afterwards.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

alan wrote:Are you eating pure chocolate?
Most stuff sold in markets is primarily sugar.
Yum.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

PeterB wrote:Anyhoo back to the topic....I have constant weight issues...but enjoy a bit of chocolate now and then without feeling the need to self flagellate or wring my hands afterwards.
I rarely crave chochlate, but I found that drinking tea or yerba mate kills that craving.....with far less calories.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

PeterB wrote:
alan wrote:Are you eating pure chocolate?
Most stuff sold in markets is primarily sugar.
Yum.
Hehehe...

Thanks for the explanation, btw.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Jhana4 wrote:
PeterB wrote:Anyhoo back to the topic....I have constant weight issues...but enjoy a bit of chocolate now and then without feeling the need to self flagellate or wring my hands afterwards.
I rarely crave chochlate, but I found that drinking tea or yerba mate kills that craving.....with far less calories.
I like chocolate. I dont want to not want chocolate ..thanks all the same. Sheesh! We are talking about bloody chocolate ...not raping nuns... :rofl:

And I do hope no one is going to suggest a slippery slope from choccy to nunrape...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

PeterB wrote:They are both correct in a sense Anna...you are quite correct in that the usual pronuciation is four sylables with the stress on the third, Him a LAY a. but those Brits who have been there there and Brit Tibetan Buddhists tend to say it with three sylables with the emphasis on the second Him AL yass....
Since the name is two Sanskrit words, neither pronunciation is correct. him ALL ee a is the correct way to pronouce it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I stand corrected Tilt.

Anyway I prefer to pronounce it "Mars Bar."...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

PeterB wrote:Why not indeed...without wanting to get too graphic, I find a little chocolate aids a certain vital function in the removal of solid waste. My gut likes it, and in fact the literature says that it "promotes a smooth peristaltic action " all that AND it tastes good.
I did not see this earlier. All I can say is way, way too much information.

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Chocolate is effective against too soft stool, btw, not the other way round.

Hi.ma.la.ja. :popcorn:
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

PeterB wrote:
Jhana4 wrote:
I like chocolate. I dont want to not want chocolate ..thanks all the same. Sheesh! We are talking about bloody chocolate ...not raping nuns... :rofl:
I don't believe anyone made those suggestions. You posted that you had weight control issues:
Given that, I thought you might appreciate a heads up to a potential way to satisfy your chochlate cravings with fewer calories.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Annapurna wrote:Chocolate is effective against too soft stool, btw, not the other way round.
.....and quickly moving on from the consistency of stools................ lol !