Zazen and Vipassana

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Ceisiwr

Zazen and Vipassana

Post by Ceisiwr »

Dont know if this has already been brought up, is Zazen and vipassana the same?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
jcsuperstar

Re: Zazen and Vipassana

Post by jcsuperstar »

za= sitting
zen= meditation

so i guess it could be

the rinzai version of zazen is pretty much just anapanasati
the soto version is shikantaza
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Thanks Jc

I know you have practiced Soto Zen, did you find and similarity between the meditation method/experience?

Metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

clw_uk wrote:Thanks Jc

I know you have practiced Soto Zen, did you find and similarity between the meditation method/experience?

Metta
not for a long time.. my meditation seemed to never follow me off the cushion back in my zen days, it was more of a "recharging" type experience than a life changing one. though there could be many reasons as to why (i was a beginer for one), but i've heard the same from many zen students who come to theravada.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Kare

Post by Kare »

clw_uk wrote:Dont know if this has already been brought up, is Zazen and vipassana the same?
I have no Zen training, so do not take my word as a statement of absolute truth.

But from what I have heard and read, I have the impression that Zazen is less structured than most Vipassana (or, more correctly: Satipatthana) methods. Satipatthana teachers usually say: Observe this, observe that. Zen teachers usually say: Sit!
Mettāya,
Kåre
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

If my observations at E-Sangha and Zen Forum International are anything to go by, there's vastly different opinions on this matter.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If my understanding is correct, the etymology of Zen derives from the Pāli word jhāna. So, I guess Zen means Samatha rather than Vipassanā.

IMO the instruction to “just sit” is dumb. It disregards all of the detailed instructions given in the Satipatthāna Sutta. Using the right method and acquiring skill in using it requires more specific instruction than “just sit” or “just watch your mind.”

Don't rely only on books or what you read on forums, but take the trouble to spend a significant amount of time with a teacher who can explain the practical method in detail.

You can learn a lot from good books like In This Very Life, but it is still more efficient to get personal instruction.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i think the zen i was taught is closest to this teaching of the buddha from the Bahiya Sutta
"Then, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bahiya, there is no you in terms of that. When there is no you in terms of that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."
but like i said before zazen other than in the shikantaza style is just anapanasati, not vipassana.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

jcsuperstar wrote:i think the zen i was taught is closest to this teaching of the buddha from the Bahiya Sutta
"Then, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bahiya, there is no you in terms of that. When there is no you in terms of that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."
but like i said before zazen other than in the shikantaza style is just anapanasati, not vipassana.
This is a very interesting Sutta quote, thank you.

It is also how I understand shikantaza (choiceless awareness, silent illumination), although I never had instruction from a Soto teacher.

As for other Zen meditation, I agree with the earlier poster who said that although it resembles anapanasatti it is less structured and maybe somewhat different in spirit.

For example you may get an instruction to observe your breath, and return to it when you get distracted. But getting distracted is also a part of the process as is returning. So while you are making an effort to stay with it, the actual mechanics is far less important than discovering what your mind is like and developing this alert non-judgmental attention.

And then when the concentration is stabilised, one asks: who is paying attention? This is really the crux of zazen - not the concentration on this or that, but the turning around of this focused awareness back on itself. "Show me your mind, so I can pacify it!" Bodhidharma (the legendary founder of Zen) bellowed at Huiko.

This is considered the root of practice - insight into who I really am (or am not). And while there are moments of other sort of insight along the way, they are kind of incidental and not the focus of the practice itself, as I understand it.

Mind you I am not a teacher, and Zen is a diverse tradition so not everyone will agree.

_/|\_
_/|\_
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

The question is whether the results are the same. That probably will depend on the kamma involved, I guess.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Jechbi wrote:The question is whether the results are the same. That probably will depend on the kamma involved, I guess.
There is a possibly related thread on mindfulness at the ZFI with some interesting observations:

http://zenforuminternational.org/viewto ... f=8&t=1412

_/|\_
_/|\_
bodom

Post by bodom »

Vipassana = Sit on cushion watch breath. Come back to breath when mind wanders.
Zazen = Sit on cushion watch breath. Come back to breath when mind wanders.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings BBB,
bodom_bad_boy wrote:Vipassana = Sit on cushion watch breath. Come back to breath when mind wanders.
Well, that's a limited subset of vipassana... if it were all, the Satipatthana Sutta needn't be so long!

:meditate:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings BBB,
bodom_bad_boy wrote:Vipassana = Sit on cushion watch breath. Come back to breath when mind wanders.
Well, that's a limited subset of vipassana... if it were all, the Satipatthana Sutta needn't be so long!

:meditate:

Metta,
Just a generalization to show the similarities in my opinion of the two and is not meant to be an exhaustive explanation. Ill leave that to the scholars and commentaries. :tongue:

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Zazen is not concerned with developing jhanas but rather with realisation of the nature of mind (related to the Theravada anatta).

Mindfulness of the breath and concentration are only the prerequisites, before the attention is turned to what is before thought.

_/|\_
_/|\_