Healthy recipes

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Individual

Re: Healthy recipes

Post by Individual »

Not recommended for people who prefer elaborate preparation for the sake of flavor, but it's ideal for people who can't cook or don't want to cook.

Lazy Man's Healthy Dinner

Ingredients

1 piece of fish
1 bag of steamed vegetables
1 bag of minute-rice

Using an indoor grill (such as George Foreman's grill :)), cook the piece of meat. Even if it is burnt to a crisp, it is still edible. In the above case, I used fish, but any meat will work. White meat is better. Instead of an indoor grill, you can use an outdoor grill, although this takes more time and work. An indoor grill takes roughly the same amount of time as a microwave. You can marinate the meat before putting it on the grill also, but again, this is more work.

While this is going on, microwave the steamed vegetables (steams right in the bag!!) and the minute rice.

Warning: Do NOT under any circumstances microwave "minute rice" longer than one minute. The instructions say "one minute" FOR A REASON!! Depending on the microwave, you might get away with cooking it for a minute and a half or so, but somewhere around the 2 minute mark, bags of minute rice will tend to explode loudly as if a gunshot went off. This does not hurt the nutritional value or flavor of the rice, although it's a bit unpleasant for the ears and can startle you if you're unprepared for it.

After the fish (or whatever meat you used) is done, you can add whatever sauce you like. In the above case, I used a very tiny amount of low-sodium teriyaki sauce.

On the side, I added a couple slices of tomato and several olives. And I served it with Arizona's Pomegranate-flavored Green Tea. But you can add whatever you want.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Tomato_snack_1.jpg
Tomato_snack_1.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 35243 times

This is done quickly, and is delicious and healthy:

Toast a breadroll to crispness. Cut breadroll in half, preferrably whole grain.

Cut tomatoes, black olives and artichokes in slices and arrange on the halves.

Sprinkle with Feta cheese. ( I use a greek one, made from goat and sheep milk because the flavors just so much better. Any other cheese will do too. )

Place under grill until cheese turns golden.

Sprinkle with fresh basil and onion leaves. Add fresh pepper.
alan

Post by alan »

Sounds great. A bit of olive oil, perhaps?
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Thank you, Allan, would definitely blend in nicely!

I usually eat a greek salad before that snack, (chopped tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, feta, and fresh mediterranean herbs, so there would be oil in that, and to keep things 'low fat', I don't use any oil on the snack.

The cheese also has fat, but all in all, olive oil would taste perfect on it!

:twothumbsup:
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

I agree, that looks like something I want right now, even though it's 6 am. Maybe I'll get the ingredient this weekend and give it a go.
alan

Post by alan »

Hi Anna
No need to be afraid of fat. Olive oil is good for you!
Just don't fry anything in it.
alan

Post by alan »

How about a tiny bit of fresh shaved garlic on top, before broiling. Yum!
alan

Post by alan »

That reminds me of a story. I remember a taxi ride in Athens, a few years ago. We fell into conversation, and the driver told me how much he wanted to go to America. What was stopping him?
"Maybe I won't be able to get my favorite olive oil there".
He went on to tell me that Greeks are healthy because they drink two ounces of pure olive oil every day.
Who knows? Maybe olive oil is good for the lungs. How else to explain a nation of nicotine addicts who somehow manage to remain healthy? :)
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Only just saw this topic!

I thought this was a novel way to look for healthy recipes. Just click on the icon picture. Appears to cover both meat-eaters and veggos.
Healthy Recipes
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv ... hc_recipes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Both of these sites only post recipes that are heart healthy, reduce cancer risk, reduce diabetes risk and promote weight control:

NutritionMD.com

PCRM
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
retrofuturist

Muesli slice

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Here's a good healthy recipe, for children and adults alike... it might take a little decoding for those used to alternative metrics and terminology.

Muesli slice
(makes 12 - can be scaled up or down without problem)

100g light-brown sugar
150g self-raising flour
90g frozen grated cocnut, defrosted (frozen grated coconut is available int he freezer section of Asian food stores, or you can use dried shredded coconut)
90g rolled oats
75g raising or sultanas
75g dried dated, chopped
75g dried apricots, chopped
60g unsalted pumpkn seeds
60g honey
2 tbsp water
1/2 cup apple puree (or apple sauce)
125g tahini (sesame seed paste)
1 x 60g egg, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 180'C. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, coconut, oats, dried fruit and pumpkin seeds. Heat the honey, water and apple puree in a saucepan until the honey has melted. Pour the hot honey mixture and the tahini over the flour mixture. Stir until the mixture comes together.

:stirthepot:

The consistency will be quite stiff. Stir in the beaten egg. Line a lamington tin (18cm x 25cm x 3.5cm) with baking paper. Spread the mixture evenly in the tin.

Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack. When cold, cut into 12 pieces. The slides keep will if they are individually wrapped with cling wrap and stored in an airtight container.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

What is "self-raising flour", Retro? :shrug:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Annapurna wrote:What is "self-raising flour", Retro? :shrug:
In case my earlier post didn't go through, Anna. The following link should give you the low-down on self-raising flour:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-raisi ... sing_flour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Used extensively in this country for baking cakes and sweet slices instead of yeast.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Ah, thanks, Ben.

I've never seen that here.

For my taste, that's too processed.

I would need 2 different sorts of flour, one without baking powder for yeast doughs, for Schnitzel, for basically everything else.... :?

Not to dismiss Retros recipe!

I'm just used to pure flour.

:stirthepot:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Anna,
Annapurna wrote:Not to dismiss Retros recipe!
Its actually not Retro's recipe. Its a recipe by one of our leading chefs. He got it out of my scrap-book while he has been staying with me. Retro helped me make 160+ slices over the weekend. Our students and staff love the muesli slice. Retro also helped me to make Hyderabadi tomato chutney and Ayival (mild coconut and yoghurt vegetable curry) for 84 people. I had the whip out and I was working him like a trojan!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..