old iron buddha statue

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
gingercatni

old iron buddha statue

Post by gingercatni »

I have just bought an old iron Buddha statue. I like iron statues simply because they tend to be much older and mark the switch to bronze that we see today. However iron rusts and the statue has flaky gold paint on its face. I can do one of two things, repaint the statue with an iron paint or seal the iron in a wax base stopping it rusting, anyone think of which sounds better? I don't want to ruin an old statue. :juggling:
daverupa

Re: old iron buddha statue

Post by daverupa »

1. Let it rust.
2. See anicca.
3. ???
4. Profit
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
adeh

Post by adeh »

Paint it....
gingercatni

Post by gingercatni »

i might just paint it, still undecided! :jumping: i'm not going to profit on it or anything by selling it, it's strictly for my home shrine, plus it looks as it was part of a large statue once it a buddha head not statue should have made that clear! I might get the gold paint and do a test on something else and see what it looks like when the paint is dry, otherwise just clean and preserve.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

3??? maybe you could get it sandblasted first, then seal or paint the outside .
Ben

Post by Ben »

If the statue is an antique rather than a modern replica made to look old, it might be worthwhile consulting with a conservator with a large museum in your state or provincial capital city. Phone ahead first and make an appointment. The person may also be able to give you some advice over the phone and/or point you towards other resources.
All the best,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Let it rust. Buddha needn't be pretty.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

Let it rust = impermanence.
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Preserve the natural iron look. Spray it over with varnish.
unspoken

Post by unspoken »

if it's place outside, let it rust. If it's inside, paint it, just in case if the statue got a broken spot and someone accidentally got a cut by it
gingercatni

Post by gingercatni »

i think i will just paint the face I would like to preserve it as I restored the Buddha statue I have in my shrine and I plan to bequeath it to my local museum in my will as it's over 100 years old. I know nothing can last forever, but I like trying to preserve things for other people to see. When it arrives I'll post pics of the progress.