Is samsara getting better?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Re: Is samsara getting better?

Post by Ceisiwr »

First, this is not entirely true. Cancer is a result of Epigenetics, (which is currently being mapped out after the genome project), where bad DNA segments have been activated, this can be reversed with a healthy life style and with less stress, and with a protein called genesine.

My definition was a basic and standard one, all you have done is gone into more detail

I agree that a healthy lifestyle and lower stress can help with cancer prevention, however this is not always the case. To imply that all that is needed to be free from cancer is stress reduction and meditation is nonsensical

To assert that "stress is the main reason for cancer" is also nonsensical

Second, reduction of stress encourages the growth of telomere, which allows cells to continue dividing. Our cells divide and grow, a telomere – a small DNA cap at the end of each chromosome - protects our dna from damage. The enzyme Telomerase, repairs the telomeres and ‘keeps DNA young'.

Several new telomerase-based drugs have entered Phase II and III clinical trials. And there is a very real race for the ultimate anti-aging pill.

"Current research reveals stressed people have shorter telomeres. Shorter telomeres appear to predispose us to disease and cancer and lead to shorter lives. Yet astonishingly, it has been discovered meditation appears to stall the process."

Firstly it is not yet fully established if ageing is due to telomeres, due in part or not at all

I agree that stress can help people live a longer life but that is a different ball court to the original claim

Incorrect, during the paleolithic age disease was virtually non-existanant as the main diet was berrys, nuts and rarely meat. The only cause of death was physical injury.

Due to low level populations

Second, there are modern day hunterers and gatherers who prove this by their long lifespans. The Tarahumara tribe of Mexico, have zero disease, low physical injury, and long life spans with an average of 100-115. They can run for days without getting tired, and are able to catch up to fast running animals as the animals become tired and the Tarahumara don't. However the Tarahumara do not eat meat, their diet consists only of corn. There are many modern day hunter and gatherers in South America, such as recluse areas of Peru, where also the average life span is around 115.

Good for them however on average the Human life span is increasing and not decreasing, as was claimed
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Even during the great plague there were some who survived and perhaps they had not created the karma by practicing non-harming of other beings in their past lives.

Those that survived did so via luck, geography or possibly due to the effects of having the CCR5-Δ32 gene (although this is disputed)

I dont see where "past life karma" comes into it

I think its true to say that something that explains everything actually explains nothing. Seeing Karma as being the cause of this and that is no different to seeing the hand of God or gods in such things, from what I can see anyway
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

clw_uk wrote:
Even during the great plague there were some who survived and perhaps they had not created the karma by practicing non-harming of other beings in their past lives.
Those that survived did so via luck, geography or possibly due to the effects of having the CCR5-Δ32 gene (although this is disputed)

I dont see where "past life karma" comes into it

I think its true to say that something that explains everything actually explains nothing. Seeing Karma as being the cause of this and that is no different to seeing the hand of God or gods in such things, from what I can see anyway
Buddhists do not believe in 'luck' like the rest of the world ....who are ignorant of the real reason for things...karma.

The fact that 'you' don't see where past life karma comes into it is irrelevant.
On Dhamma wheel you seem to always take the scientific standpoint and seem to be looking to debunk everything in the scriptures....for a mere 22 year old you have big ego problems. I don't even know why you come here...just for arguments?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Bhante
Buddhists do not believe in 'luck' like the rest of the world ....who are ignorant of the real reason for things...karma
Ok maybe "luck" was a bad choice of word, chance would be better (I see them as different concepts)
The fact that 'you' don't see where past life karma comes into it is irrelevant.
I agree its irrelevant but for a different reason
On Dhamma wheel you seem to always take the scientific standpoint
Only when people here stray into scientific claims and say things that are very unlikely to be true. However I only do so in areas where I have some knowledge, for example in terms of physics I prefer to leave it to the fellow physicists here (physics isnt my strong point)

However I do not adhere to "scientism" at all (which I assume you are applying, sorry if your not)

and seem to be looking to debunk everything in the scriptures
Not at all, I fully accept the Four Noble Truths, Three Marks, Dependent Origination etc
....for a mere 22 year old you have big ego problems.
Well we all do unless there is wisdom
I don't even know why you come here...just for argument
Just because I argue a different point doesnt mean I do so just for the sake of argument
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

sorry for jumping down your throat...i suppose we all get a bit defensive at times :hug:
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

If you want to know if samsara is getting better..... view these documentaries...
no need to even watch them....just reading the synopsis of each one is very depressing...to see how much corruption, greed, and hate goes on....

http://www.sprword.com/mustwatch.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

Also, don't forget that Samsara includes the lower realms as well as this human one: I doubt the hells are getting more democratic (the motion for tongue severing to be reduced to once a week was crushed apparentlly) nor that there have been increases in the living standards of hungry ghosts. So no, I doubt that samsara has or ever will get any better.
gerard

Post by gerard »

Last edited by gerard on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Utter piffle. Welcome to the forum..which is Buddhist forum btw. Not a new age /taoist forum.
We dont "do" yin/ yang or The Way.
gerard

Post by gerard »

Last edited by gerard on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

gerard wrote:Buddhist, Daoist, Christian, Sufi...the specific spiritual path of sentient beings living in a planet located in the constellation of Lyra, etc. ALL LEAD TO THE SAME DESTINATION.

Blessings,

:)

Have a peruse of the Brahmajala Sutta some time. It's a little long, but it's quite rewarding.

Metta