Pressure in my head, dizziness while meditating

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
lotuspadma

Pressure in my head, dizziness while meditating

Post by lotuspadma »

Sometimes when I'm meditating, if I try real hard to be at peace (which is wrong, I know), I feel this pressure round my forehead and also dizziness sometimes. Now, what is it? It feels like something is going out, like tension maybe? Or is it just because I was forcing meditation a lot?

Thanks in advance...
Padma
IanAnd

Re: Pressure in my head, dizziness while meditating

Post by IanAnd »

Hi lotuspadma,

This is a relatively common sensation that meditators in general experience. Nothing to be worried about. As far as the dizziness is concerned, different people react in different ways. Whatever dizziness you're experiencing is temporary and probably due to your relative unfamiliarity with this phenomenon. It should go away as you become more familiar with this.

You may want to read a previous post here for more information. This type of question has been asked several times before.

All the best,
Ian
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Annatar

Re: Pressure in my head, dizziness while meditating

Post by Annatar »

lotuspadma wrote:Is it just because I was forcing meditation a lot?
Maybe. I suppose "forcing meditation" is a form of craving "progress" in meditation, and craving leads to dukkha. Best not to force it.

With metta,
Annatar