Gender of Buddhas

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
cooran

Re: Gender of Buddhas

Post by cooran »

So, no one knows?
No. It just means this topic has been discussed previously, and people are a bit over it - 11 pages in this thread alone:

Women can’t become Buddhas?
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

TMingyur wrote:
Hanzze wrote:As non acceptance of gender will TMingyur, as non acceptance will.
Non-acceptance is not the opposite of attachment, but non-attachment is.

Kind regards
:-) so what about to accept just that what is. Could that be used as neither attachment, nor non-attachment? Past karma is like it is.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Annapurna wrote:
Wizard in the Forest wrote::goodpost:

I know that Paccekabuddha were often travelling ascetics in the past, and because women couldn't become ascetics before the Buddha ordained Bhikkhunis I assumed and extrapolated that perhaps they're all men, but I don't know if that is a statement on potential as well. So I asked.
Why couldn't women become ascetics....? :thinking:
I know one, but i guess it is really hard. I guess it is more possible in a tantric way as males needs to "fear"/respect in the "right" way.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
ground

Post by ground »

Hanzze wrote:
TMingyur wrote:
Hanzze wrote:As non acceptance of gender will TMingyur, as non acceptance will.
Non-acceptance is not the opposite of attachment, but non-attachment is.

Kind regards
:-) so what about to accept just that what is. Could that be used as neither attachment, nor non-attachment? Past karma is like it is.
I did not say anything about acceptance or non-acceptance of gender. Your insistance is based on your confusing non-attachment and non-acceptance.

Kind regards
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Dear TMingyur,

would it be possible that my indention is not to dissent your helpful posts? Maybe just... I don't know :tongue: :group:

Annapurna,
i just remembered Sumedha on a German forum. I did not find a english link till jet.
Just that! *smile*

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

cooran wrote:
So, no one knows?
No. It just means this topic has been discussed previously, and people are a bit over it - 11 pages in this thread alone:

Women can’t become Buddhas?
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
bump.
ground

Post by ground »

Hanzze wrote:Dear TMingyur,

would it be possible that my indention is not to dissent your helpful posts? Maybe just... I don't know :tongue: :group:
Neither do I. Maybe it is a language issue. Or you may try to express yourself more explicitely.

Kind regards
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Yes, there's plenty of related discussion in the topic Cooran linked to on this topic.

Unfortunately this particular topic has gone to the dogs, with unsubstantiated conjecture and rumination dominating proceedings. As a reminder, the Discovering Theravada sub-forum is "A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravada (The Way of the Elders)". Unless you are asking questions in this sub-forum, or genuinely believe that what you are saying is truly reflective of a valid Theravada stand-point, your viewpoint is probably not relevant to this sub-forum.

Wizard in the Forest.... I'm sorry to close this topic - if you still wish to pursue the topic further, feel free to start a new topic on whether paccekabuddhas can be female. Please keep the OP and subject heading as precise as possible to minimize the likelihood of respondents wandering off into the thickets again. Moderators try to identify these things early and get topics back on track, but sometimes we arrive too late.

EDIT: A new follow-up topic is here - http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6903" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."