Vipassana and the 12 links

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sacha G

Vipassana and the 12 links

Post by Sacha G »

Hi
As I understand vipassana, it's a recognition of the three characteristics within the compounded phenomena. Now this is based on observation of the arising and vanishing of the five aggregates. And this allows to obtain right view.
But, I don't see any condition between this and the fact of understanding paticcasamuppada, all the more as the classical explanation runs on 3 lives, and that this cannot be observed, unless you get the divine eye. :coffee:
Therefore I would like to know if you have any idea about this?
Thanx
Sacha
Pali and Theravada texts:
http://dhamma.webnode.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sacha G

Re: Vipassana and the 12 links

Post by Sacha G »

Sorry I meant * connexion, not condition. :|
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

For the three lives answer I do not know

But for the in the moment answer, I can refer you to this http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... uppada.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

As Craig says its not about the three lives hypothesis directly. Although Vipassana certainly does not deny the three lives view. Rather it is saying that what is germaine to past present and future can be found right here, with proper instruction and the right context.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Svakkato Bhagavata Dhammo (well expounded is the Exalted One’s Dhamma)
Sanditthiko (to be seen here and now)
Akaliko (not delayed in time)
Ehipassiko ( (inviting one to) come and see)
Opanayiko (leading inwards)
Paccatam Veditabbo Vinnuhiti (to be seen by each wise man for himself)
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Sacha G

Post by Sacha G »

Thank you for your answers already!
Actually I was wondering how the instructions on satipatthana (which are sufficient to bring to right view, I assume) fit with the exposition of paticcasamuppada, even if this paticcasamuppada is interpreted as showing what's happening in this very life, or even this very instant.
:juggling:
Thank U
Sacha
householder

Post by householder »

Sacha G wrote:Thank you for your answers already!
Actually I was wondering how the instructions on satipatthana (which are sufficient to bring to right view, I assume) fit with the exposition of paticcasamuppada, even if this paticcasamuppada is interpreted as showing what's happening in this very life, or even this very instant.
:juggling:
Thank U
Sacha
I'm currently reading the Nibbana Sermons, having read Nanvira's 'Notes on Dhamma' in relation to paticcasmuppada, and will read the Buddhadasa article above, and will thus also be very interested in replies to Sacha's question above.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sacha,

(Note: this post was made whilst this topic was still in the Classical Theravada section)
Sacha G wrote:Actually I was wondering how the instructions on satipatthana (which are sufficient to bring to right view, I assume) fit with the exposition of paticcasamuppada, even if this paticcasamuppada is interpreted as showing what's happening in this very life, or even this very instant.
It is often said that the 'three lives' are comparable, because this life's past life, was the past life's present life, and so on. By that argument, if you directly know the links as they pertain to one "life", you'll know them all.

What might complicate that potentially are knowing the links that cross consecutive lifetimes, to which end I'd recommend you find one of those elaborate circular diagrams that shows the past and present causes and effects, as understood in the Mahavihara tradition, like this slightly ungainly one...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
alan

Post by alan »

Hi Sacha.
One question at a time. please!
Arising and passing away, or fading, might be a better way of understanding than using the word "vanishing". There is a subtle difference.
Although I know smart people who would argue otherwise, I've dropped the 3 lives idea. It just seems overly complex and not of immediate use.
One last point--the "3 characteristics" have been elevated to a high status in Vipassana. This might not correspond directly to some of the basic suttas. But that is enough for now.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Just a quick reminder that in the Classical Mahavihara section, the Tipitaka and associated commentaries are considered definitive for the purposes of discussion.

Thanks for your understanding.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
alan

Post by alan »

Oh, sorry.
Sacha might get a more satisfying response in another forum where her question(s) can be discussed freely.
Sacha G

Post by Sacha G »

Hi, a small detail which has nothing to do, but Sacha's a male name ;)
Apart from that, if someone knows how to redirect this post to a more appropriate freedom (i.e allowing the interpretation within one lifetime of paticcasamuppada), it'd be nice!
:bow:
Sacha G

Post by Sacha G »

I meant * thread, not "freedom" :sage:
Sacha
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Topic moved to General Theravada in accord with OP's request.

Metta,
householder

Post by householder »

I have a two pronged question which I'd be grateful for replies on in relation to this.

First, in respect of the 'three lives' approach, is this in accordance with the dhamma being akaliko?

As an extension of the first part of the question above, how (if at all) does the below sutta have any bearing?
Very well then, Kotthita my friend, I will give you an analogy; for there
are cases where it is through the use of an analogy that intelligent
people can understand the meaning of what is being said. It is as if
two sheaves of reeds were to stand leaning against one another. In
the same way, from name-&-form as a requisite condition comes
consciousness, from consciousness as a requisite condition comes
name-&-form. SN 12.67
I'm quite uncertain and confused.

If the answer to the first part of the question is in the affirmative, then how, in the present, do we see the past and future through vipassana? Is that possible, or am I missing something here?

Thanks.