Healthy eating for the new year - suggestions

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
ground

Re: Healthy eating for the new year - suggestions

Post by ground »

"In the same way, I tell you, is the nutriment of physical food to be regarded. When physical food is comprehended, passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended. When passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended, there is no fetter bound by which a disciple of the noble ones would come back again to this world.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kind regards
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

TMingyur wrote:
"In the same way, I tell you, is the nutriment of physical food to be regarded. When physical food is comprehended, passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended. When passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended, there is no fetter bound by which a disciple of the noble ones would come back again to this world.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kind regards
Very apropos. And I would suggest equally applicable to both gluttony and the current fad for health food narcisissm.
There is a a Woody Allen film called Sleeper. The Allen character has been in suspended animation for 100 years. When he is revived he announces that he must go and find his friends. " But all your friends will be dead " he is told..
He wails " but they all ate organic brown rice ! ".
alan

Post by alan »

Concern with diet equated to narcissism? You've lost me there, PeterB.
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

So, short of overcoming the fetters and reaching enlightenment, any other suggestions? :D That is a good way to look at food, I agree. I understand that instruction but I've never really understood the other analogies in the sutta.

Regarding "very apropos", not according to my intention for the thread. I believe I'm somewhere "between" gluttony and health food-obsession, and my question wasn't about how to overcome food craving. I meant to ask for some advice as to practical or easy ways to get more protein into my breakfasts and lunches for work, from those who might be kindly disposed to offer it. The comment about the candy dish was probably a distraction from my main intent for the thread, and should have been left out. Thank you to those who responded. :thanks: