Colloquial Question for Thai Bhantes/Buddhists

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
salmon

Colloquial Question for Thai Bhantes/Buddhists

Post by salmon »

Some teachers in Thailand use the term "ni-pan noi". It is directly translated as "small nibbana". Any of the Thai dhamma friends here are familiar with this local slang? What's the exact meaning of this term?

Thanks much!

:anjali:
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
appicchato

Re: Colloquial Question for Thai Bhantes/Buddhists

Post by appicchato »

My understanding of the term is that it is a 'glimpse' of Nibbana'...while not complete, nor permanent, it's still a glimpse...
salmon

Post by salmon »

Thanks for that Bhante.

It's interesting that this term is used quite freely in thai teachings. I thought a glimpse of nibbana was what you got when you hit stream entry. Guess I thought wrong haha. I heard "ni-pan noi" mentioned in the same conversation as achieving sunnata in meditation.
Alexei

Post by Alexei »

In Buddhadasa Bhikkhu's words:
Even if it is only a very small Nibbana, merely a taste, it's exactly the same thing as true, lasting Nibbana; it differs only in duration. It doesn't last because we don't know how to protect ourselves from the disease and how to destroy it. Consequently, every now and again the disease penetrates and interrupts Nibbana.

If anyone has the boon of intelligence to the extent of knowing that, in truth, the mind is fundamentally empty, that it's already Nibbana, then the only thing that has to be watched out for is not to let it be infiltrated by new things. So, don't let them in. Drive them out! If we don't let them into our house, it can be empty all the time.
http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... o_Tree.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
salmon

Post by salmon »

Thank you for the link Alexei!
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

With regards to Bhikku Bodhi's words, I was under the impression that nibbana is permanent because nibbana is unconditioned. Am I incorrect?
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Permanence is a condition, no?...if that is true, or what one believes, and Nibbana not being subject to condition (so were told), where does that leave us?...Bhikkhu Bodhi thinks one way, Buddhadasa Bhikkhu thought another...where's the benefit pondering such matters...does it matter?...
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

appicchato wrote:...does it matter?...
Not really. Thanks for your input, Bhante :anjali:
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

"ni-pan noi" sounds like what in Zen is called kensho. I always wondered if there was a Theravada equivalent term.

Is there such a term in Pali too?