The Buddha and slavery

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Modus.Ponens

The Buddha and slavery

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Hello

I read yesterday a post by Digger that quoted a scripture that seemed to be suportive of slavery. The post is here: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... ad#p103510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . This got me worried, so I started to investigate about the position of the Buddha regarding slavery. I found a refference to a scripture, in a notation system that I don't understand, in which the Buddha forbade monks and nuns to have slaves. The refference is D.I,5. Can anyone link me to this sutta?

'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
tiltbillings

Re: The Buddha and slavery

Post by tiltbillings »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Hello

I read yesterday a post by Digger that quoted a scripture that seemed to be suportive of slavery. The post is here: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... ad#p103510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . This got me worried, so I started to investigate about the position of the Buddha regarding slavery. I found a refference to a scripture, in a notation system that I don't understand, in which the Buddha forbade monks and nuns to have slaves. The refference is D.I,5. Can anyone link me to this sutta?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .bodh.html
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thanks tilt. I'm more relieved. Still, it's not a prohibition to all monks. But monks of course should follow the Buddha's example. I wonder if the Buddha didn't want social agitation by strictly forbiding monks or lay people to have slaves.

There's also a passage that seems to have a different notion of slave than we in the west do:

In five ways should a master minister to his servants and employees:

by assigning them work according to their ability,
by supplying them with food and with wages,
by tending them in sickness,
by sharing with them any delicacies,
by granting them leave at times.

Sigalovada sutta
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

The Buddha was Awakened. By implication that means that he had great compassion and Insight into the human condition.
He also lived 2500 years ago.
His "role" if you like was to outline the means to Awaken others. We must be careful not to project on to him sensibilities that are a modern concern that might have little relevance to the mores of his own day. He did not come to reform society.
He came to show the way out of conditioned existance.
See also his leaving his wife and child, and so on.
We cannot project onto him our current preoccupation with "romance" and the nuclear family. Or modern concerns with egalitarianism.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

see

Schopen, Gregory 1994 "The Monastic Ownership of Servants or Slaves: Local and Legal Factors in the Redactional History of Two Vinayas" JIABS Vol 17/2 pp. 145-73 in Vol 2.

Bankei
-----------------------
Bankei
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Thanks tilt. I'm more relieved. Still, it's not a prohibition to all monks. But monks of course should follow the Buddha's example. I wonder if the Buddha didn't want social agitation by strictly forbiding monks or lay people to have slaves.

There's also a passage that seems to have a different notion of slave than we in the west do:

In five ways should a master minister to his servants and employees:

by assigning them work according to their ability,
by supplying them with food and with wages,
by tending them in sickness,
by sharing with them any delicacies,
by granting them leave at times.

Sigalovada sutta
Hello, M.P,
I can't see anything about 'slaves' in the passage you quote - neither 'servants' nor 'employees' are slaves, however much we grumble about our bosses being slave-drivers :tongue: so why do you think you have found 'a different notion of slave'?
Anyway, there is no guarantee that any of those three words - slave, servant, employee - corresponds exactly to any of the social relationships the Buddha was talking about. Some of our really old terms, like serf, villein, vassal or peasant, may be a better match. :shrug:

:namaste:
Kim
cooran

Post by cooran »

Resurrecting an old thread:

Some interesting discussion here ....
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 027AAvdWFN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Modern day we have a new kind of slavery.
We call them employees.
We find many slave employees in Sri Lanka.
My father had many employees their only wage was the food and mat to sleep.
Conditions are tough in Sri Lanka.
Little bit of food and the shelter could be a luxury.
Think about the sweatshops in places like India and Sri Lanka.
:(
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”