meditation...

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
rowyourboat

Re: meditation...

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Krisfu

Even though beginners have some luck when it comes to meditation- attaining jhana is unlikely to happen to them. It usually takes around 3 hours of daily practice (3, 1 hour sessions a day) over weeks-moths to get into the first jhana. It might happen quicker on retreat. If you are interested in jhana I think you should go for it. It is a good initial goal to have (oh no -here comes the 'goalless' contingent...) and it will motivate your practice and make it a success...hopefully :smile:

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

I am under the impression that all the meditation in the world won't get you there unless you're doing the right things off the cushion. Is that wrong?
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

andrer9999 wrote:I am under the impression that all the meditation in the world won't get you there unless you're doing the right things off the cushion. Is that wrong?
All the meditation in the world is a lot of meditation. :smile: Who knows what will get you here. Take Ajahn Sumedho's advice -

"When one says, “I am an unenlightened person who needs to practice meditation in order to become an enlightened person in the future,” one assumes that “I am this body. I have this history. I am so many years old, born in such and such a place. I’ve done all these things and so I have a history to prove that this person exists.” I have a passport and a birth certificate, and people even want me to have a website. But, in fact, there doesn’t seem to be any person in the awareness."

http://www.abhayagiri.org/main/article/593/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

kirk5a wrote:
andrer9999 wrote:I am under the impression that all the meditation in the world won't get you there unless you're doing the right things off the cushion. Is that wrong?
All the meditation in the world is a lot of meditation. :smile: Who knows what will get you here. Take Ajahn Sumedho's advice -

"When one says, “I am an unenlightened person who needs to practice meditation in order to become an enlightened person in the future,” one assumes that “I am this body. I have this history. I am so many years old, born in such and such a place. I’ve done all these things and so I have a history to prove that this person exists.” I have a passport and a birth certificate, and people even want me to have a website. But, in fact, there doesn’t seem to be any person in the awareness."

http://www.abhayagiri.org/main/article/593/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think the statement 'I am en unenlightened person, therefore...' and the statement re non-self is a good example of confusing the conventional and ultimate truths. Often a sign that the practitioner hasnt really experienced ultimate truths and basic his/her conclusions on contemplation of the dhamma.

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

rowyourboat wrote:
kirk5a wrote: http://www.abhayagiri.org/main/article/593/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think the statement 'I am en unenlightened person, therefore...' and the statement re non-self is a good example of confusing the conventional and ultimate truths. Often a sign that the practitioner hasnt really experienced ultimate truths and basic his/her conclusions on contemplation of the dhamma.

with metta
The talk given by Ajahn Sumedho in the link provided gives all the necessary context for understanding why he was talking about that. There is no confusion there.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230