To Dog or Not to Dog

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Digger

To Dog or Not to Dog

Post by Digger »

I've had dogs for the past 25 years (starting before I even knew what Buddhism was). All were rescued from one bad situation or another. The lifespan of larger dogs may only be around 10 years, smaller maybe 15 years or so, as such I have obviously witnessed injury, illness, old age and death of my four legged companions many times. I now have 2 dogs that are getting older and I will soon be going through all this again.

I know that in the future I can avoid this stress for myself by not getting other dogs. But, as the saying goes (not sure who said it), "you can't change the world by rescuing one dog but you can change the world for that dog".

So, do I avoid stress for myself by not getting another dog (the easy way), or do I keep rescuing dogs in the future but work hard at not getting attached at all (the hard way)? I'm fairly detached now but it's hard to feel "zero". I'm still a "householder", not a monk.

Your opinions please.
He is different. He thinks.
kirk5a

Re: To Dog or Not to Dog

Post by kirk5a »

Providing a better living situation for a distressed animal out of compassion is good... I can't see the fault in that. Examining the arising of attachment to pets, and finding the letting go there, as practice itself is good - I don't see the fault in that. But I also don't see the fault in not creating stress for oneself either, by not engaging in a recognized stressful situation! :smile: And if you do feel the inclination to help troubled dogs, there are ways to do that without owning one.

Hmm so carefully examining one's own mind and acting only on the faultless motivation(s), that's the way to go, no? But what that means specifically (dog or no dog) ... listen to your "heart".

But not acknowledging craving for a dog, if there is craving - then that's a fault, and so not a good idea to act out of *that*.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Luke

Post by Luke »

Hi Digger,

Personally, I am doggedly optimistic about you working like dog to take care of your dogs.
kirk5a wrote:Providing a better living situation for a distressed animal out of compassion is good... I can't see the fault in that.
I agree. The Buddha had infinite compassion. He didn't have a heart of stone. I'm sure Buddha felt compassion for dogs.

So, like Kirk already said his reply, if you find it too exhausting to care for dogs and find that it becomes an obstacle to your Buddhist practice, then don't dog. But if you find that having a dog helps to inspire you and fills you with compassion for living creatures, then by all means dog, dog, dog!

There's nothing wrong with feeling love for your pets. That's certainly more Buddhist than not loving them!

cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Digger,

I was faced with a similar decision a year or two ago and decided to not get any more dogs. Instead, think about giving a regular monthly donation to the local Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, or give eight hours a month to volunteer at such a place, meet others who think the same way, and help many animals.
Not sure where in Florida you are, but this is one Society:
http://www.ohs-spca.org/volunteer_adults.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
alan

Post by alan »

I'd say no dog. You'll just get attached to it and the cycle will start anew.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Digger wrote: So, do I avoid stress for myself by not getting another dog (the easy way), or do I keep rescuing dogs in the future but work hard at not getting attached at all (the hard way)? I'm fairly detached now but it's hard to feel "zero". I'm still a "householder", not a monk.
If you can give a rescue dog a new, better home, get the dog. Don't worry about becoming "attached," learn from it. The dog and you have much to give each other.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Individual

Post by Individual »

Digger wrote:I've had dogs for the past 25 years (starting before I even knew what Buddhism was). All were rescued from one bad situation or another. The lifespan of larger dogs may only be around 10 years, smaller maybe 15 years or so, as such I have obviously witnessed injury, illness, old age and death of my four legged companions many times. I now have 2 dogs that are getting older and I will soon be going through all this again.

I know that in the future I can avoid this stress for myself by not getting other dogs. But, as the saying goes (not sure who said it), "you can't change the world by rescuing one dog but you can change the world for that dog".

So, do I avoid stress for myself by not getting another dog (the easy way), or do I keep rescuing dogs in the future but work hard at not getting attached at all (the hard way)? I'm fairly detached now but it's hard to feel "zero". I'm still a "householder", not a monk.

Your opinions please.
I think your continual rescuing of dogs is very noble and praiseworthy, and it is unnecessary for you to question that. It feels good and makes the dogs feel good, so why doubt it? A local Zen monk here keeps dogs too, I think. :)
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I have been the adoptive parent of rescued dogs for many years. I feel the same conflict you described. When my rottweiler passed away last year, I swore we'd be a one-dog-family until the younger dog passed on, and then I was done. An acquaintance laid out a sad story, and I adopted another one.
Pros:
  • The dogs would have been put to sleep if someone had not adopted them.
  • The dogs have taught me how to be a kinder, gentler, more compationate person.
  • Dogs have taught me patience.'
  • Some of the dogs have played the role of therapy dogs at places where I work or volunteer, loving visitors to people who have been all but abandoned by humanity.
  • Oh, and dogs keeps me warm on cold winter days. :tongue:
Cons:
  • It is a lot harder to go on 10 day retreats when I have to find care for my canine friends. 20 days seems out of the question right now. My ideal of going on a 1 year retreat, inconceivable.
  • Years ago I toured a Purina dog factory. It is a bit hypocritical for me to be on an eco-friendly diet when I feed the dogs dog food. My dogs are on a speciality diet, but it is very expensive. Add that to the list of reasons why I work long hours to pay the bills, fantasizing about a simpler life of meditation and sutta studies.
  • Add pet health care to that list of reasons I work so much...
  • When I was 20, I had to re-adopt a dog out because my living situation suddenly changed, and the dog could not come with me. And having dogs has severely limited my ability to move.
  • And to your point... When my aged rottweiler was in severe pain from her arthritis and other ailments, I would sit with her perform acupuncture on her. A friend taught me how. She could barely tolerate the acupuncture, but she seemed to understand that it would help with her pain. Several hours a week of this, and ultimately she passed away anyway. I loved that dog, and her inevitable death was still way uncool.
Odds are you have adopted so many dogs because you have a special talent with them. Not everyone is so lucky. A Mahayana Buddhist would say you've found your calling...
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Digger

Post by Digger »

Thanks all for your responses.

Here is a link to a picture of one of my dogs:

http://upsidedowndogs.com/pet2094/knuck ... n-bulldog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His eyes look weird from the camera flash, they are actually normal looking.
He is different. He thinks.
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

I have had dogs since I can remember, either at my home or my grandparents home, and I am the owner of two adopted dogs. One of my dogs is now ill and will not live for long.

I have accepted to adopt another dog that will be born in January, has the owner was looking for a family that would provide that dog good living conditions.

I think adopting a dog, or any other animal, is a very important way of helping other beings, by being kind and providing them with friendly environment were they can gain merit, hopefully setting the conditions for the to have a rebirth as a human.

Don't forget that you may have been a dog that was rescued by a human, aeons ago, and now you switched places.
With Metta
marjhunaz

Post by marjhunaz »

I love dog cause dog is a friendly animals like my dog is very good dog.