forest tradition , permanent state

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
effort

forest tradition , permanent state

Post by effort »

it this talkhttp://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/79/talk/10976/ from 42' to 47' guy Armstrong said that forest tradition believe in a permanent state of mind in the background, really they do? i mean ajahn chah and ajahn sumedho have same opinion?

i remember that i read in e-sangha about your base state of consciousness. something like your temper that you born with that and even when you are sleep, that is there, i dont know the pali word, anybody knows?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: forest tradition , permanent state

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The term you're thinking of is probably Bhavanga Citta, which is a kind of subconscious process that runs whenever active consciousness is not running. It is not a single permanent thing, but a process that constantly arises and passes away.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
bodom

Post by bodom »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The term you're thinking of is probably Bhavanga Citta, which is a kind of subconscious process that runs whenever active consciousness is not running. It is not a single permanent thing, but a process that constantly arises and passes away.
And, which I might add, a concept not restricted to the Thai Forest tradition alone.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Individual

Post by Individual »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The term you're thinking of is probably Bhavanga Citta, which is a kind of subconscious process that runs whenever active consciousness is not running. It is not a single permanent thing, but a process that constantly arises and passes away.
Why can't this process be referred to as a "single permanent thing," if it is a dhamma (a thing? presumably?), continuous (permanent), and there is only one designated process (single) instead of many? If Bhavanga Citta is impermanent, how does it arise and cease, and what are its components? :)
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
effort

Post by effort »

...but a process that constantly arises and passes away...
every process has a cause, like mind object arising causing thought and as i understand Bhavanga Citta based on karma , and karma not arises and passes away, then how Bhavanga Citta could arises and passes away?
Individual

Post by Individual »

Karma does arise and cease. It's just that for virtually all of us, it does not cease, so we regard as constant. Karma arises in those who regard things as self and permanent; Buddhas and Arahants are free from karma.

The Diamond Sutra
bodom

Post by bodom »

In Vis.M. XIV it is said:
"As soon as rebirth-consciousness (in the embryo at the time of conception) has ceased, there arises a similar subconsciousness with exactly the same object, following immediately upon rebirth-consciousness and being the result of this or that karma (volitional action done in a former birth and remembered there at the moment before death). And again a further similar state of subconsciousness arises. Now, as long as no other consciousness arises to interrupt the continuity of the life-stream, so long the life-stream, like the flow of a river, rises in the same way again and again, even during dreamless sleep and at other times. In this way one has to understand the continuous arising of those states of consciousness in the life-stream."

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
cooran

Post by cooran »

Individual wrote:Karma does arise and cease. It's just that for virtually all of us, it does not cease, so we regard as constant. Karma arises in those who regard things as self and permanent; Buddhas and Arahants are free from karma.
Hello Individual,

Could you differentiate between kamma and vipaka - otherwise it can be confusing. Arahants and Buddhas still experience vipaka.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

"Forest Tradition" is a rather vague term that covers a variety of groups. The Ajahn Chah group happens to be the most well known in the west, but is only one group.

There is a "citta that never dies" concept in the Ajahn Maha Boowa group, which I think may originate with Ajahn Mun. In Ajahn Maha Boowa's teachings he specifically says is non-standard and is a way of expressing his meditation experience.

E.g. see:
http://www.forestdhammabooks.com/book/3 ... ossary.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citta: The citta is the mind’s essential knowing nature, the fundamental quality
of knowing that underlies all sentient existence. When associated with
a physical body, it is referred to as “mind” or “heart”. Being corrupted
by the defiling influence of fundamental ignorance (avijjã), its currents
“flow out” to manifest as feelings (vedanã), memory (saññã), thoughts
(sankhãra), and consciousness (viññãõa), thus embroiling the citta in a
web of self-deception. It is deceived about its own true nature. The true
nature of the citta is that it simply “knows”. There is no subject, no object,
no duality; it simply knows. The citta does not arise or pass away; it is never
born and never dies.
Here is a thread on it: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Individual

Post by Individual »

cooran wrote:
Individual wrote:Karma does arise and cease. It's just that for virtually all of us, it does not cease, so we regard as constant. Karma arises in those who regard things as self and permanent; Buddhas and Arahants are free from karma.
Hello Individual,

Could you differentiate between kamma and vipaka - otherwise it can be confusing. Arahants and Buddhas still experience vipaka.

with metta
Chris
Good point. :)

The Diamond Sutra
Jason

Post by Jason »

effort wrote:it this talkhttp://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/79/talk/10976/ from 42' to 47' guy Armstrong said that forest tradition believe in a permanent state of mind in the background, really they do? i mean ajahn chah and ajahn sumedho have same opinion?

i remember that i read in e-sangha about your base state of consciousness. something like your temper that you born with that and even when you are sleep, that is there, i dont know the pali word, anybody knows?
From what I've read, there are certain teachers in the Thai Forest Tradition who maintain the presence of knowing in the transcendent state (anidassana-vinnana) that doesn't cease; and this position is in direct contrast to the 'orthodox' position, which describes nibbana as the ending of all consciousness, all awareness.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Jason wrote: the 'orthodox' position, which describes nibbana as the ending of all consciousness, all awareness.
Can you provide a sutta which states that? Thanks.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Individual

Post by Individual »

kirk5a wrote:
Jason wrote: the 'orthodox' position, which describes nibbana as the ending of all consciousness, all awareness.
Can you provide a sutta which states that? Thanks.
The suttas are subject to interpretation and are not always explicit without an interpretation. By the "orthodox position," I think he means Mahavihara commentaries, such as the Visuddhimagga. It would be better to ask him for a citation from those texts rather than the suttas. :)

The Diamond Sutra
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Individual wrote: The suttas are subject to interpretation and are not always explicit without an interpretation. By the "orthodox position," I think he means Mahavihara commentaries, such as the Visuddhimagga. It would be better to ask him for a citation from those texts rather than the suttas. :)
Okay. I'd be interested in that too.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

As a student of chan this all sounds very familiar to me. I was reading Ajahn Chah recently and he refers to the "one who knows"

http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Opening_Dhamma_Eye1.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Compare this notion to the ideas in this talk from upaya zen center http://www.upaya.org/dharma/people-do-not-die/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is Ajahn Chah zen or theravadan? Or is it just that the roads meet at this point?
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig