MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Forthcoming Changes to the DW Forums

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
retrofuturist

Re: MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Forthcoming Changes to the DW Forums

Post by retrofuturist »

Oh God... :?

:lol:

Having said that, the meaning of the word snowflake as shorthand for "special snowflake", as shorthand for "someone who sees themselves as precious, unique and special in every way, and needing to be accommodated and pandered to by others in every unique way imaginable" has drifted swiftly in recent times.

Its earlier, and far more specific use was a good descriptor for authoritarians who would have a meltdown if you didn't address them by their custom pronouns or those who'd need to play with play-doh, bubbles and cuddle puppies if a speaker came onto campus who didn't share their Cultural Marxist worldview.

I blame Tomi Lahren for the over-use and lost meaning.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:24 am Oh God... :?

:lol:

Having said that, the meaning of the word snowflake as shorthand for "special snowflake", as shorthand for "someone who sees themselves as precious, unique and special in every way, and needing to be accommodated and pandered to by others in every unique way imaginable" has drifted swiftly in recent times.

Metta,
Relax - only joking.
:thinking:
Well, mostly only joking. As I said, it seemed sort of relevant.

:coffee:
Kim
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Kim,
Kim OHara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:38 am Relax - only joking.
Which is why a gave a :lol:
Kim OHara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:38 am Well, mostly only joking.
Which is why I gave a detailed clarification. ;)

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
binocular

Post by binocular »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:24 amIts earlier, and far more specific use was a good descriptor for authoritarians who would have a meltdown if you didn't address them by their custom pronouns or those who'd need to play with play-doh, bubbles and cuddle puppies if a speaker came onto campus who didn't share their Cultural Marxist worldview.
Heaven help you if you were to be the one with less power in comparison to that authoritarian mentioned above. Then it wouldn't be possible to joke about their "meltdowns" anymore.

- - -
retrofuturist wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:36 amAgreed. It will be interesting to see how a group of Engaged Buddhists decide to address such matters over time.
It will either be a hugbox or a gladiator arena.
:woohoo:
Last edited by binocular on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

Mr Man wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:36 pmThe real problem with this forum has been the returning admin, who has who has poured his political bias all over this forum. In my opinion to a far greater extent than any other member.
But what if that is what the Dhamma actually is?!
What if in order to become enlightened, one has to embrace right-wing mentality?

It's hardly a novel idea anyway, it's done in some other religions.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
binocular wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:01 am Heaven help you if you were to be the one with less power in comparison to that authoritarian mentioned above. Then it wouldn't be possible to joke about their "meltdowns" anymore.
No, because they'd ban, silence or punish me... as intolerant authoritarians do. Get me kicked off campus for daring to disagree. Stalinists in the making...

Anyway, the "facts vs feelings" dichotomy is one that the new forum will need to manage...

Metta,
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

SDC wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:17 pm
Mr Man wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:36 pm The real problem with this forum has been the returning admin, who has who has poured his political bias all over this forum. In my opinion to a far greater extent than any other member.
You were right on top of him the whole time. What does that say about you?
Hi SDC

So has Admin been pouring his political bias over the forum or not? To a greater extent to other members or not (with his memes and antagonism)?

Do you think admin and the team have any responsibility for the failure of the ""News, Current Events & Politics" and "Lounge" forums" (I guess it's a failure)? If so why not acknowledge this in the opening post of this thread?

What does it say about me that I have been "on top of him"? It means I object. In my opinion you also should have shown a bit more heart in not allowing Admin to carry on as he has (maybe you have been doing that behind the scene or maybe you are fine with it)?
Last edited by Mr Man on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

binocular wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:04 am
Mr Man wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:36 pmThe real problem with this forum has been the returning admin, who has who has poured his political bias all over this forum. In my opinion to a far greater extent than any other member.
But what if that is what the Dhamma actually is?!
What if in order to become enlightened, one has to embrace right-wing mentality?

It's hardly a novel idea anyway, it's done in some other religions.
Hi binocular
I don't know about embrace but I certainly acknowledge that there was, is and no doubt will be what could be called "right-wing mentality" within me.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:11 amSo has Admin been pouring his political bias over the forum or not?
Or that which you call his "bias" is, in fact, Dhamma.

I wouldn't know.
Do you think admin and the team have any responsibility for the failure of the ""News, Current Events & Politics" and "Lounge" forums" (I guess it's a failure)? If so why not acknowledge this in the opening post of this thread?
Depends whether that failure was a good thing or a bad thing.

For some things, it's good that they fail.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mr Man,
Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:11 am So has there been a Admin been pouring his political bias over the forum or not?
No, because unlike you, I was always perfectly happy to allow people to express themselves, regardless of where their ideas sat on the political spectrum.

Bias would have involved discrimination and moderating people by different standards in accordance with my personal preferences. The fact your intolerant bloviating has been allowed to stand in the past is testimony to you being allowed to have had your view, just like any other member, occasionally even when you've stepped over the line.

If only you had demonstrated the same tolerance, forbearance and equanimity in reciprocating this willingness to abide alternative views, we could have had some better quality conversations. Oh well, too late now.

:hello:

Metta,
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:11 am Do you think admin and the team have any responsibility for the failure of the ""News, Current Events & Politics" and "Lounge" forums" (I guess it's a failure)? If so why not acknowledge this in the opening post of this thread?
Why do you think it has been a failure? Such posts as populate it will, in the best Theravadan tradition, pass away from here, and re-arise elsewhere.
It means I object
This being a Theravadan forum, have you ever asked yourself whether this state of "objecting to something" could be dealt with any differently? To paraphrase Ajahn Chah, did the memes, etc. come in and bother you, or did you go out and bother them?
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

From a dhammic perspective we can easily see through different political agendas by which ones promote compassion for all beings, vs which ones promote compassion primarily for rich oligarchs, its not possible to understand the dhamma and support policies like our current President IMHO
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:24 am
Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:11 am Do you think admin and the team have any responsibility for the failure of the ""News, Current Events & Politics" and "Lounge" forums" (I guess it's a failure)? If so why not acknowledge this in the opening post of this thread?
Why do you think it has been a failure? Such posts as populate it will, in the best Theravadan tradition, pass away from here, and re-arise elsewhere.
I don't understand your question Sam. Do you mean it hasn't been a failure or or Why does Mr Man think it has failed?
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:24 am
It means I object
This being a Theravadan forum, have you ever asked yourself whether this state of "objecting to something" could be dealt with any differently?
Yes.
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:24 amTo paraphrase Ajahn Chah, did the memes, etc. come in and bother you, or did you go out and bother them?
Ajahn Chah also allowed the Army to spray red ants and made sure Wat Ba Pong was well maintained.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:46 am I don't understand your question Sam. Do you mean it hasn't been a failure or or Why does Mr Man think it has failed?
Why do you think that "failed" is a useful descriptor? There has been a lot of moderator/admin discussion behind the scenes, and I'm not picking up a sense of "failure". By "failed" , do you mean something different from it not going the way you would like?
Ajahn Chah also allowed the Army to spray red ants and made sure Wat Ba Pong was well maintained.
Red ants are a bit different from memes one does not agree with. Did you try to view the memes with equanimity? What happened? Did they invade and prevent you from practising?
SDC

Post by SDC »

Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:11 am What does it say about me that I have been "on top of him"? It means I object.
Yes, but it did absolutely nothing to improve the situation. Nothing. I called you out for putting a mark on Paul when he returned and you played babe-in-woods as if you had no idea what I was talking about. Maybe you should have just admitted you put him in your sights and then something could have been done then. But here we are almost 2 years later with a solid time line of you hanging on his every word but not once rolling up your sleeves to do anything to improve the relationship. (Maybe you did behind the scenes, or maybe you preferred it stay that way).
Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:11 am In my opinion you also should have shown a bit more heart in not allowing Admin to carry on as he has (maybe you have been doing that behind the scene or maybe you are fine with it)?
Maybe I have been doing that behind the scenes, maybe not. Sure won't be sharing that information with you.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3