MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Forthcoming Changes to the DW Forums

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Mr Man

Re: MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Forthcoming Changes to the DW Forums

Post by Mr Man »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:41 am
Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:46 am I don't understand your question Sam. Do you mean it hasn't been a failure or or Why does Mr Man think it has failed?
Why do you think that "failed" is a useful descriptor? There has been a lot of moderator/admin discussion behind the scenes, and I'm not picking up a sense of "failure". By "failed" , do you mean something different from it not going the way you would like?
I used the word failure because this was said -
It is with a degree of sadness and disappointment that we announce that at some time in June (exact date TBD) we will be closing down discussion in the "News, Current Events & Politics" and "Lounge" forums indefinitely,
So it hasn't been a failure? okay.
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:41 am
Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:46 amAjahn Chah also allowed the Army to spray red ants and made sure Wat Ba Pong was well maintained.
Red ants are a bit different from memes one does not agree with.
Yes they are. Ajahn Chah didn't ever speak about political memes on a Buddhist Forum. I wonder what he would have made of them
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:41 am Did you try to view the memes with equanimity?
No I didn't specifically try to view the memes with equanimity. I don't feel a need.

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:41 am What happened?
I didn't try it.
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:41 amDid they invade and prevent you from practising?
No
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

SDC wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:07 am
Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:11 am What does it say about me that I have been "on top of him"? It means I object.
Yes, but it did absolutely nothing to improve the situation. Nothing. I called you out for putting a mark on Paul when he returned and you played babe-in-woods as if you no idea what I was talking about. Maybe you should have just admitted you put him in your sights and then something could have been done then. But here we are almost 2 years later with a solid time line of you hanging on his every word but not once rolling up your sleeves to do anything to improve the relationship. (Maybe you did behind the scenes, or maybe you preferred it stay that way).
Why does this forum have an admin with such political bias? Do you see the bias? Do you think it is okay? Where has it taken us?
SDC wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:07 am
Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:11 am In my opinion you also should have shown a bit more heart in not allowing Admin to carry on as he has (maybe you have been doing that behind the scene or maybe you are fine with it)?
Maybe I have been doing that behind the scenes, maybe not. Sure won't be sharing that information with you.
I hope you have.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:15 am
I used the word failure because this was said -
It is with a degree of sadness and disappointment that we announce that at some time in June (exact date TBD) we will be closing down discussion in the "News, Current Events & Politics" and "Lounge" forums indefinitely,
So it hasn't been a failure? okay.
If you read on, it announces the upcoming launch of a new forum where different forms of "Engaged Buddhism" will be expressed. So no, nobody loses out if their intentions are sincere.
No I didn't specifically try to view the memes with equanimity. I don't feel a need.
Does that mean that you already had perfect equanimity towards them, or that you didn't feel the need to bring an end to your ill-will towards them? Do you feel a need to criticise them, and Retro, and opinions you disagree with?
SDC

Post by SDC »

Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:21 am Why does this forum have an admin with such political bias? Do you see the bias? Do you think it is okay? Where has it taken us?
More questions as a response...interesting.

Where has it taken us? You were in the front of the bus antagonizing the entire time, you don't have the right to play judge and jury now about where we ended up. You had the opportunity to object constructively, but you opted for another direction. You obviously don't see the part you've played and that is on you.

I'm long over all of this and look forward to a new direction for our community.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:34 am
Does that mean that you already had perfect equanimity towards them,
No it doesn't.
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:34 am or that you didn't feel the need to bring an end to your ill-will towards them?
My "ill-will towards them" - okay.
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:34 am Do you feel a need to criticise them, and Retro, and opinions you disagree with?
I have no problem with criticising them, and Retro, and opinions I disagree with. Should I not do it?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:46 am I have no problem with criticising them, and Retro, and opinions I disagree with. Should I not do it?
I'm not the one to tell you what to do, Mr. Man, but am suggesting that you might do better to cultivate equanimity.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

SDC wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:44 am
Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:21 am Why does this forum have an admin with such political bias? Do you see the bias? Do you think it is okay? Where has it taken us?
Look how many I have answered. Are questions not okay? Why don't you want to answer them?

Why has this forum had an admin with such strong and obvious political bias?

Do you see the bias?

Do you think it is okay?

---

Let's hope the new forums prosper.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

It seems our moderators have been blind to the bias and negativity in their own camp, and only see it in the opposition.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
SDC

Post by SDC »

Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:59 am Let's hope the new forums prosper.
Yes, let's hope so. If you happen to have any comments or suggestions on the new platforms please don't hesitate to give us your thoughts in the suggestion box or send me a PM directly so I can raise your concerns with the rest of staff. It may stun you to hear this, but we actually discuss every issue members raise. With vague nitpicking in threads, however, it tends to be more difficult to decipher what people actually want - so you can try go that route, but it likely will not result in any productive change. Depends what you want to do.

I hope we're done here, but feel free to take the last word.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
SDC

Post by SDC »

lyndon taylor wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:19 pm It seems our moderators have been blind to the bias and negativity in their own camp, and only see it in the opposition.
You have no idea what we talk about behind the scenes - you just presume it all for sport. I look forward to your contributions towards Theravada Buddhism as we move forward.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

All I know is what I see on the forum, and some moderators don't even stick to the TOS the rest of us have to follow IMHO The personal attacks have to stop in my opinion, stick to critiquing what the poster has to say, and leave the personal comments to yourself.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
SDC

Post by SDC »

lyndon taylor wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:41 pm The personal attacks have to stop in my opinion, stick to critiquing what the poster has to say, and leave the personal comments to yourself.
That's good advice. I hope it applies in all directions.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

When I first read this announcement, I was surprised because it seemed like an extreme solution.

But after reading people's responses on this thread, especially those with a perennial axe to grind, I fully support and understand it. It makes me wonder if even the "Engaged" Buddhism site will be something of benefit, or just a playground for ego stroking and view clinging... as most politics seem to be these days.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Dhammarakkhito wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:12 am well, engaged buddhism i think is still not really buddhism, but at least it will be a separate website. i support these changes
Quite so.

My pessimistic tendency thinks that whenever social & political 'engagement' are juxtaposed with the Dharma, the Dharma light loses to the worldly heat. So I think making a worldly focused site apart from the Dharma focused sites will benefit the latter sites and thus humanity.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
chownah

Post by chownah »

Mr Man wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:59 am
SDC wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:44 am
Look how many I have answered. Are questions not okay? Why don't you want to answer them?

Why has this forum had an admin with such strong and obvious political bias?

Do you see the bias?

Do you think it is okay?

---

Let's hope the new forums prosper.
You raise an issue more pertinent to the administration of the new forum.
retrofuturist,
Are you likely to be part of the administration of the new forum?
chownah