New moderator: Sam Vara!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Bundokji

Re: New moderator: Sam Vara!

Post by Bundokji »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:15 pm Please accept my sincere commiserations. :stirthepot:
Thats funny :rofl:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

Welcome Sam Vara, I can't think of a better person for the job! :thumbsup:
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

Greetings to the duly born!

:sage:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

You poor poor man 😓😓😓

I will pray for you
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Thanks to one and all for their acknowledgements, congratulations, and (especially) commiserations!
binocular

Post by binocular »

Saengnapha wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 amI like the idea of putting our money where our photo is.
On the other hand, it's possible to argue in favor of anonymity on account that it can make easier a more liberal approach to the Dhamma and for taking more responsibility for one's own practice, without the usual threats of authoritarianism, social hierarchy, and other means of socio-psychological influence.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

retrofuturist wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 amI'm pleased to announce that Sam Vara has accepted a global moderator position here at Dhamma Wheel.
I think this will be really interesting for me. Years back, I was on friendly terms with a very nice Buddhist on a Buddhist forum. But then he became a moderator there, and I broke off all contact with him, because there was this new power differential between him and me, and I couldn't handle it.
So this now will be a big learning experience for me.

Sorry to be so self-absorbed, but I thought it would be a good idea to let this be known, as a kind of precaution, so that things won't get so sour this time as they did back then.

:popcorn:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
SDC

Post by SDC »

binocular wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:04 pm
retrofuturist wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 amI'm pleased to announce that Sam Vara has accepted a global moderator position here at Dhamma Wheel.
I think this will be really interesting for me. Years back, I was on friendly terms with a very nice Buddhist on a Buddhist forum. But then he became a moderator there, and I broke off all contact with him, because there was this new power differential between him and me, and I couldn't handle it.

Sorry to be so self-absorbed, but I thought it would be a good idea to let this be known, as a kind of precaution, so that things won't get so sour this time as they did back then.

What if we make you a mod one day? You might have to split in half!!
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

binocular wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:04 pm

He's becoming a mod, not your boss. Can't see how it should affect your friendship.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Congratulations, Sam Vara! A great addition to the team! My memory is telling me that I've always appreciated your level-headedness.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Congrats Sam! :) Much respect for your bravery!
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Congratulations! Good luck with everything.

'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Meezer77 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:13 pm
He's becoming a mod, not your boss. Can't see how it should affect your friendship.
Many friendships are broken when power equation changes. Not to imply that will happen with Sam becoming mod

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_ ... experiment

:namaste:

No_Mind
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
binocular

Post by binocular »

Meezer77 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:13 pmHe's becoming a mod, not your boss. Can't see how it should affect your friendship.
On a forum, a moderator is a kind of boss.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

Heyyyy, got them cool green letters now
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha