New moderator: Sam Vara!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
retrofuturist

New moderator: Sam Vara!

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings all,

I'm pleased to announce that Sam Vara has accepted a global moderator position here at Dhamma Wheel.

Sam Vara is our first totally brand new moderator since SDC joined the team in August 2015, so please make him welcome and don't give him too much grief while he finds his feet. ;)

Please join me in welcoming Sam Vara to the role.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Re: New moderator: Sam Vara!

Post by DNS »

Welcome!

:thumbsup:
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Welcome Sam

:twothumbsup:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome aboard!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Welcome Sam!
:group:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Congratulations!

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Welcome, Sam Vara, and thanks for taking on the role.

:namaste:
Kim
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

Retro,

I think all moderators should use their real names and use their photo as their avatar. This makes their moderation more personal and familiar to the posters. What do others think about this issue?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Saengnapha ,
Saengnapha wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:09 am I think all moderators should use their real names and use their photo as their avatar. This makes their moderation more personal and familiar to the posters. What do others think about this issue?
I used my real name myself once for maybe a year or so to remind a couple of members that I was actually human, despite their ongoing attempts to demonize me, and have used my photo intermittently along the way. DNS has also used his real name for the majority of the time he has been at this forum, and has always (to the best of my recollection) appeared in his avatar.

Having done both, I don't think it's at all necessary, and I think the relative degree of anonymity is potentially of value to people who risk being discriminated against in some capacity because of their religious affiliation. I don't mind people knowing I'm Buddhist, but I'd rather future employers not have that information readily available to them either. Unfortunately we live in a society where disgruntled people can easily dox others, and when you moderate a forum, it's inevitable that some recalcitrants will become disgruntled with you, so it's appropriate to allow people to apply whatever level of safeguards they think are necessary. For example, I can speak more freely here than I can on Facebook because of the degree of anonymity, and we want people to be able to say what they want to say here (so long as it's ToS compliant).

In short, people shouldn't be punished for volunteering. Similarly, we don't have any requirements on monastics that they do this either, as we've had experience with a forum that did do that, and we found that it was unfair to be putting extra requirements on monastics... frankly, we should be appreciative that they're here at all... and ditto with our volunteers.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Subharo

Post by Subharo »

Welcome Sam Vara. :smile:
Subharo Bhikkhu
"There is but one taste on this path, the taste of freedom" -The Buddha :buddha1:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Saengnapha wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:09 am Retro,

I think all moderators should use their real names and use their photo as their avatar. This makes their moderation more personal and familiar to the posters. What do others think about this issue?
You better get used to the real world.
We are in an age that we have to deal with robots!
Just joking.

Just concentrate why we are here for.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

retrofuturist wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:18 am Greetings Saengnapha ,
Saengnapha wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:09 am I think all moderators should use their real names and use their photo as their avatar. This makes their moderation more personal and familiar to the posters. What do others think about this issue?
I used my real name myself once for maybe a year or so to remind a couple of members that I was actually human, despite their ongoing attempts to demonize me, and have used my photo intermittently along the way. DNS has also used his real name for the majority of the time he has been at this forum, and has always (to the best of my recollection) appeared in his avatar.

Having done both, I don't think it's at all necessary, and I think the relative degree of anonymity is potentially of value to people who risk being discriminated against in some capacity because of their religious affiliation. I don't mind people knowing I'm Buddhist, but I'd rather future employers not have that information readily available to them either. Unfortunately we live in a society where disgruntled people can easily dox others, and when you moderate a forum, it's inevitable that some recalcitrants will become disgruntled with you, so it's appropriate to allow people to apply whatever level of safeguards they think are necessary. For example, I can speak more freely here than I can on Facebook because of the degree of anonymity, and we want people to be able to say what they want to say here (so long as it's ToS compliant).

In short, people shouldn't be punished for volunteering. Similarly, we don't have any requirements on monastics that they do this either, as we've had experience with a forum that did do that, and we found that it was unfair to be putting extra requirements on monastics... frankly, we should be appreciative that they're here at all... and ditto with our volunteers.

Metta,
Paul, I can't argue with anything you've said and I know there will be varying opinions about this, but I did wanted to mention it. I like the idea of putting our money where our photo is. Hiding in any form when you moderate a site like this is not very Buddhist to me. Personal fears still rule and too much is made out of anonymity. I can appreciate it, just sayin'.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Welcome Sam! :thumbsup:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Subharo

Post by Subharo »

Saengnapha wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 am Hiding in any form when you moderate a site like this is not very Buddhist to me. Personal fears still rule and too much is made out of anonymity. I can appreciate it, just sayin'.
A tricky issue.

For those who hide their identity :spy: , it gives them easy cover to mouth off in various extremist ways, which is unpleasant to the more middle-way participants on this fine forum.

For those who reveal their identity, they will probably gain more credibility within the community of being a "real" person (if they behave and abide by the Forum's totally reasonable Terms Of Service). :hug:

But then they will probably face all the modern annoyances and risks of having one's personal privacy taken advantage of (in pretty much any and all ways possible) by unscrupulous corporations who love to profit from selling any such personal information to third parties. :computerproblem:

For some reason (that I can't quite put my finger on), I post here as myself, not using an avatar. Maybe nobody would believe that my comments are actually those of a Buddhist monk otherwise.
Subharo Bhikkhu
"There is but one taste on this path, the taste of freedom" -The Buddha :buddha1:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Please accept my sincere commiserations. :stirthepot:
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)