New Analyo Bhikkhu Book to be Released

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
bodom

New Analyo Bhikkhu Book to be Released

Post by bodom »

Meditator’s Life of the Buddha: Based on the Early Discourses

Anālayo offers an inspiring biography of the Buddha based on the early discourses and focusing on his meditative development and practice. By focusing on the Buddha as a meditator, Anālayo seeks to provide inspiration and guidance to all meditators, of any tradition and of any level of experience. Each of the twenty-four chapters concludes with suggestions to support meditative practice.

To be released at the turn of the year 2017/2018
https://www.windhorsepublications.com/p ... 9052734375

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
cjmacie

Re: New Analyo Bhikkhu Book to be Released

Post by cjmacie »

So now V. Analayo is regularly "selling" books, and with testimonials from Jack Kornfield & Co. ... becoming just another populist "dharma" teacher?
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

I feel lukewarm about Jack Kornfield's offerings, but I don't think a dedication from him dams a book or its author.

I'm presuming the Venerable is donating his profits from the books he writes to worthy causes.

He writes very well, so I am happy his stuff is being created and made available.

This may be presumptuous, but I'm assuming everyone here can afford his books without having to cut back on food to make the rent or mortgage.

I say give the guy a break.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
Zom

Post by Zom »

So now V. Analayo is regularly "selling" books, and with testimonials from Jack Kornfield & Co. ... becoming just another populist "dharma" teacher?
Seem so 8-)
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

cjmacie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:10 pmSo now V. Analayo is regularly "selling" books, and with testimonials from Jack Kornfield & Co. ... becoming just another populist "dharma" teacher?
The adverb just would imply "a populist Dharma teacher and nothing more." Do you seriously think that this is the venerable's intention?

Personally I think: "... regularly supplementing his scholarly expositions of the Dhamma with more popular ones," would be both a more charitable way of putting it and probably closer to the truth.
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

Dhammanando wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:25 am
cjmacie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:10 pmSo now V. Analayo is regularly "selling" books, and with testimonials from Jack Kornfield & Co. ... becoming just another populist "dharma" teacher?
The adverb just would imply "a populist Dharma teacher and nothing more." Do you seriously think that this is the venerable's intention?

Personally I think: "... regularly supplementing his scholarly expositions of the Dhamma with more popular ones," would be both a more charitable way of putting it and probably closer to the truth.
I stand corrected -- not to reduce his overall significance to the level, say, of Mr. Kornfield.

V. Analayo's keen and broad scholarship is quite noteworthy, if sw dry at times. Perhaps related to that reservation, his interpretations, however, are s/w uneven in quality, and unstable over time. Notably the length to which, in his first Satipatthana book, he goes to justify "direct" for 'ekayanno'; and, worse, defining 'sati' as "bare awareness" with nothing to do with "memory".

Then there's his tendency towards political involvement (influence of his one-time mentor, B. Bodhi?), which I consider un-befitting for a Buddhist renunciate.
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

The book ad links to a book publication sponsorship appeal. I am unfamiliar with this approach for books for sale. Is this common?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Caodemarte wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:26 pm The book ad links to a book publication sponsorship appeal. I am unfamiliar with this approach for books for sale. Is this common?
Gift Aid is very common with registered charities in Britain, but I don't know about other countries.
A practical example

Mr Burns donates £100 to charity.
Mr Burns is a higher-rate taxpayer, paying 40% income tax on part of his income. He has made a Gift Aid declaration to the charity. As a result:
1. The £100.00 gift is treated as being made after deduction of basic rate tax at 20%. The gross value of the gift before tax is £125 (£100 / (100%-20%)) – this is the amount of money a basic rate taxpayer would need to earn to receive £100.00 after tax.

2. The charity can claim the 20% of basic rate tax (£125 × 20% = £25) that the taxpayer is treated as having paid on the gross value of the gift. This is effectively an extra 25% on top of the value of the £100.00 donation.

3. Because he is a higher-rate taxpayer, Mr Burns can claim back the remaining 20% of income tax which he has paid on the gross value of the gift (the 40% income tax which he paid, less the 20% claimed by the charity). He would make this claim in his tax return. This amounts to a repayment of £25 on the £100 donation (£125 × (40% - 20%)).
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

Dhammanando wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:00 pm
Caodemarte wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:26 pm The book ad links to a book publication sponsorship appeal. I am unfamiliar with this approach for books for sale. Is this common?
Gift Aid is very common with registered charities in Britain, but I don't know about other countries....
Thanks. I was unaware that Windhorse was a charity, but apparently it is “a Buddhist charitable company based in the UK. We place great emphasis on producing books of high quality that are accessible and relevant to those interested in Buddhism at whatever level. We are the main publisher of the works of Sangharakshita, the founder of the Triratna Buddhist Order. Our books draw on the whole range of the Buddhist tradition, including translations of traditional texts, commentaries, books that make links with contemporary culture and ways of life, biographies of Buddhists and works on meditation.

As a non-for-profit enterprise, we ensure that all surplus income is invested in new books and improved production methods, to better communicate Buddhism clearly in the 21st Century.“
samseva

Post by samseva »

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up, bodom.
cjmacie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:10 pm So now V. Analayo is regularly "selling" books, and with testimonials from Jack Kornfield & Co. ... becoming just another populist "dharma" teacher?
While Ven. Anālayo's intention might have been to produce a less scholarly book, I am sure the quality will be similar to his other works.

Also, reader's who already appreciate Ven. Anālayo's scholarly skills probably don't think much of forwards, while more popular practioners do, of which they very well might benefit from this book. :smile:
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Thanks bodom.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
mal4mac

Post by mal4mac »

cjmacie wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:31 am V. Analayo's keen and broad scholarship is quite noteworthy, if sw dry at times. Perhaps related to that reservation, his interpretations, however, are s/w uneven in quality, and unstable over time. Notably the length to which, in his first Satipatthana book, he goes to justify "direct" for 'ekayanno'; and, worse, defining 'sati' as "bare awareness" with nothing to do with "memory"...
I had the memory that he had quite a lot to say about sati as memory, fortunately as the book is free online we can all check!

"iii.2 SATI
The noun sati is related to the verb sarati, to remember. Sati in the
sense of “memory” occurs on several occasions in the discourses,
and also in the standard definitions of sati given in the Abhidhamma
and the commentaries.11 This remembrance aspect of sati is personified
by the Buddha’s disciple most eminent in sati, Ãnanda, who is
credited with the almost incredible feat of recalling all the discourses
spoken by the Buddha.

The connotation of sati as memory becomes particularly prominent
with the recollections (anussati). The discourses often list a set
of six recollections: recollection of the Buddha, of the Dhamma, of..."

etc, etc...

I agree that he should put his new book online. Maybe he just hasn't got round to putting it on the hamburg site?

"`One should not go about making a business out of the Dhamma' (Ud.66). When the Buddha said: `The gift of Dhamma excels all other gifts' (Dhp.354), he meant that the Dhamma should be a gift, not something to be sold." http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=74

And selling it exclusively through Windhorse is not making his book into a gift, and it is making it something to be sold. Also, as someone who is British, I've been following triratna's progress, mostly at a distance, since the eighties, and it is a problematic institution, that I don't want to support, at least not until someone can really convince me it is now "right in every way":

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... s-lingwood
- Mal
paul

Post by paul »

The book has now been released; interesting list of meditation subjects here:
https://www.amazon.com/Meditators-Life- ... 1909314994
Last edited by paul on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bodom

Post by bodom »

While we're on this topic Another Analayo book forthcoming:
Rebirth in Early Buddhism and Current Research

Join a rigorous scholar and Buddhist monk on a brisk tour of rebirth from ancient doctrine to contemporary debates.

German Buddhist monk and university professor Bhikkhu Analayo had not given much attention to the topic of rebirth before some friends asked him to explore the treatment of the issue in early Buddhist texts. This succinct volume presents his findings, approaching the topic from four directions. The first chapter examines the doctrine of rebirth as it is presented in the earliest Buddhist sources and the way it relates to core doctrinal principles. The second chapter reviews debates about rebirth throughout Buddhist history and up to modern times, noting the role of confirmation bias in evaluation of evidence. Chapter 3 reviews the merits of current research on rebirth, including near-death experience, past-life regression, and children who recall previous lives. The chapter concludes with an examination of xenoglossy, the ability to speak languages one has not learned previously, and chapter 4 examines the particular case of Dhammaruwan, a Sri Lankan boy who chants Pali texts that he does not appear to have learned in his present life. Rebirth in Early Buddhism and Current Research brings together the many strands of the debate on rebirth in one place, making it both comprehensive and compact. It is not a polemic but an interrogation of the evidence, and it leaves readers to come to their own conclusions.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/16142944 ... 7610779271

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

Dhammanando wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:00 pm
Gift Aid is very common with registered charities in Britain, but I don't know about other countries.
A practical example

Mr Burns donates £100 to charity.
Mr Burns is a higher-rate taxpayer, paying 40% income tax on part of his income. He has made a Gift Aid declaration to the charity. As a result:
1. The £100.00 gift is treated as being made after deduction of basic rate tax at 20%. The gross value of the gift before tax is £125 (£100 / (100%-20%)) – this is the amount of money a basic rate taxpayer would need to earn to receive £100.00 after tax.

2. The charity can claim the 20% of basic rate tax (£125 × 20% = £25) that the taxpayer is treated as having paid on the gross value of the gift. This is effectively an extra 25% on top of the value of the £100.00 donation.

3. Because he is a higher-rate taxpayer, Mr Burns can claim back the remaining 20% of income tax which he has paid on the gross value of the gift (the 40% income tax which he paid, less the 20% claimed by the charity). He would make this claim in his tax return. This amounts to a repayment of £25 on the £100 donation (£125 × (40% - 20%)).
What are the technical rules around this type of thing Ajahn? I mean, since monks aren't allowed to handle money, where do the proceeds go? Is he even allowed to decide on his own or does the sangha have to decide? I've often wondered how this works.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero