Server migration Sept 22

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
DNS
Site Admin

Server migration Sept 22

Post by DNS »

Our webhoster has informed us that our private, dedicated server will be moved to a new facility. They assured us the databases will be safe, but just to make sure we did a full-back up yesterday of all sites.

According to the webhoster:
* Your server will be hosted in modern environmentally-friendly datacenter, thanks to the hydro-electric capabilities, provided by the Niagara Falls;
* Superior connectivity, provided by fully-redundant multitiered 10GE network with excellent throughput and low latency to both Europe and the US, due to strategically beneficial location on the East Coast (New York).

Migration itself incurs up to 24 hours of downtime. Unfortunately, this is the fastest and most trouble-free way to accomplish this.
IP addresses of your server will change. You will have to update your DNS records and, possibly, DNS server settings for your domains.
So this site and all other affiliated sites to this one will be down for approximately 12 to 24 hours on Sept. 22 (GMT -5).

Our webmaster will handle all the DNS and other technical work required. He has also stated that he might be able to have the sites up on Sept. 22 as a 'read-only' that is we won't be able to make posts, but we might be able to at least read some posts from the previous days until all sites are back up online at the end of the day or early Sept. 23 (New York time).
Circle5

Re: Server migration Sept 22

Post by Circle5 »

* Your server will be hosted in modern environmentally-friendly datacenter, thanks to the hydro-electric capabilities, provided by the Niagara Falls;
So despite all the topics about the environment existing over here, DW was polluting like crazy until now ? :oops:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Circle5 wrote:
So despite all the topics about the environment existing over here, DW was polluting like crazy until now ? :oops:
"all the topics" ???
I can only think of two threads, out of a couple of thousand. :thinking:

Admittedly, one of them is closing in on 1200 posts and 90 000 views :twothumbsup: but still ...

:namaste:
Kim

:focus:
(or start a new thread?)
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

Admittedly, one of them is closing in on 1200 posts and 90 000 views :twothumbsup: but still ...
And that only contributed to even more pollution due to the server DW was running on. Basically the most polluting topic on the whole forum :?
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Circle5 wrote:
And that only contributed to even more pollution due to the server DW was running on. Basically the most polluting topic on the whole forum :?
Not even close.
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5479 had to close because it hit the forum's size limit.
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1192 is closing in on 551 000 views.
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11033 is over 143 000 views
... and many of the posts in these threads are videos, i.e. burning through bandwidth like it's going out of fashion.

And all of them are purely entertainment.
:thinking:

:coffee:
Kim
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Is this anything to do with the UK leaving the EU? :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings David,

Thank you for the announcement, and thank you for continuing to provide the material support that allows this community to continue, as you've done for the past 8 years and 9 months.

:anjali:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

I too would like to thank everybody involved in the development of DW. Buddhism has started spreading fast in the age of the internet, we are living a revival of buddhism. Even in my country, a country more religious than Iran, buddhism is becoming more and more popular especially with young people. The dhamma has a tendency to rise and shine if avaliable.

During the european enlightenment period, buddhist books were translated into german language for the first time. During that time, all artist, intellectuals, inventors, etc. were sons of rich people from all around europe gathered in Paris or other capitals to study. Because of having the dhamma available to them, many of them became buddhist. This includes romanian poet Mihai Eminescu, a genius, one of the biggest poets in the world. But because little dhamma was available to him, despite being a genius, he would today qualify as a rather new agey buddhist novice if he were to be here on dhammawheel.

Only now, in the age of the internet, buddhism started spreading in full force. Dhammawheel has had an important role to play in this, being the first decent buddhist forum and second one to exist. (the first one was a fiasco and ended up getting hacked and sued) I became a buddhist 1 year after DW was launched and I remember how small it was at that time compared to now. Today it's so big it's estimated to worth maybe even 1 million $ as a website and of course is invaluable from a dhamma point of view.

DW has been even more useful for people living in countries with no buddhist communities, basically not knowing any buddhist in real life. The sanga is one of the 3 gems, having an important role to play on our path even if we might not realize it all the time.

So even though it's been polluting the environment like crazy until the recent server migration, congratulations to everybody who contributed to it's development. :twothumbsup:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings David,

Thank you for the announcement, and thank you for continuing to provide the material support that allows this community to continue, as you've done for the past 8 years and 9 months.

:anjali:

Metta,
Paul. :)
+ 1

:namaste:
Kim
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thanks.

Reminder:

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I know I should have more faith, but as the time approaches I'm starting to get a bit fearful. What migrates? Will I still be the same avatar, with all my memories and posts? Does "the avatar" really exist? Are there some avatars who can really remember all their past servers? If I've been really good, will I end up on SuttaCentral instead of here?
SDC

Post by SDC »

Sam Vara wrote:I know I should have more faith, but as the time approaches I'm starting to get a bit fearful. What migrates? Will I still be the same avatar, with all my memories and posts? Does "the avatar" really exist? Are there some avatars who can really remember all their past servers? If I've been really good, will I end up on SuttaCentral instead of here?
Who knows...you may end up alone on e-sangha with no posting function, surrounded by dead threads and the echos of false idols...talking to yourself about what you would say if you could say it if there was anyone around to listen. Best of luck to you, Sam. :?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

Sam Vara wrote:I know I should have more faith, but as the time approaches I'm starting to get a bit fearful. What migrates? Will I still be the same avatar, with all my memories and posts? Does "the avatar" really exist? Are there some avatars who can really remember all their past servers? If I've been really good, will I end up on SuttaCentral instead of here?
:rofl: well done, Sam! I'm worried about ending up in a perpetual dark night on dharmaoverground, personally, as I've been naughty lately...

Thanks David for all that you do, and for managing our rebirth :group:
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
SDC

Post by SDC »

aflatun wrote:
:rofl: well done, Sam! I'm worried about ending up in a perpetual dark night on dharmaoverground, personally, as I've been naughty lately...
For the win! :rofl:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

SDC wrote:
aflatun wrote:
For the win! :rofl:
I dunno man, e-sangha sounds pretty scary! :tongue:
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16