Server migration Sept 22

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Server migration Sept 22

Post by DNS »

There was a a bad configuration that caused this error. It is fixed now, but the nature of the problem is that browsers cache it. Try clearing your browser cache or trying it in a different browser or private mode.

Ctrl+shift+del in Mozilla and keep cache checked and clear 'everything'
binocular

Post by binocular »

Since when are you guys back??
I haven't had access to DW since Wednesday about noon GMT.
I cleared my cache -- doesn't help.
Today, I checked via downforeveryoneorjustme and it tells me that it's just me!
?
I'm using a proxy now.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

When the IP addresss changes it can take time for the cache in the DNS at your ISP, or further upstream to clear. I had that problem over the past couple of days. I could connect on my phone over the mobile network but not at home or work. It can take days for the cache to expire...

Mike
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Circle5 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:52 pmIt is scientifically proven that certain color combinations are better than others.
Yes, and there's a great site on color combinations:

http://www.colorcombos.com/

Perhaps we can find here a color combo quite similar to present one, but a little more harmonious.
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

Refreshing change-of-pace -- the new color scheme. :coffee:
binocular

Post by binocular »

I appreciate that the quoted posts now have a hyperlinked username, a date stamp, and a direct link to the quoted post.

Thank you for your efforts!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Ayu

Post by Ayu »

DNS wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:21 am There was a a bad configuration that caused this error. It is fixed now, but the nature of the problem is that browsers cache it. Try clearing your browser cache or trying it in a different browser or private mode.

At the sistersite Dharmawheel.net, I either can't log in at all or if it's possible I can visit the site only shortly. After some minutes the system claims: "Can't find the server." This happens not only at trying to log in but also when I want to do any next step (submitting a post, viewing a thread, anything).
At the same time I have access to every other site in the www including Dhammawheel and Dharmapaths.

Edit: Ah, no, I have these "Can't find the server"-problems now also here... But if you're able to read this edit, I wasn't completely off.
I can't find the error.

:shrug:
Ayu

Post by Ayu »

Ayu wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:31 am
DNS wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:21 am There was a a bad configuration that caused this error. It is fixed now, but the nature of the problem is that browsers cache it. Try clearing your browser cache or trying it in a different browser or private mode.

At the sistersite Dharmawheel.net, I either can't log in at all or if it's possible I can visit the site only shortly. After some minutes the system claims: "Can't find the server." This happens not only at trying to log in but also when I want to do any next step (submitting a post, viewing a thread, anything).
At the same time I have access to every other site in the www including Dhammawheel and Dharmapaths.

Edit: Ah, no, I have these "Can't find the server"-problems now also here... But if you're able to read this edit, I wasn't completely off.
I can't find the error.

:shrug:
After logging in and posting freely here, I want to add:
The correct translation of the only answer I see is: "The server doesn't respond."
binocular

Post by binocular »

Try and see if you have access via a proxy.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-anonymous ... ers-818058
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Good to see the server is responding again, I though you'd been abducted by space aliens or something.... :alien:

...have you come back changed?... :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Ayu, others,

I have had difficulties several times in the past (as well as this time) when the IP address of the server changed. I suspect that the DNS associated with the old server may have been set up advertising a very long expire time, and it will simply take several days for some of my nearby DNS servers to bother to query again to get the new address. I now have no problem from my home ISP, but when I dropped into work yesterday I could not connect (this was on the same laptop, so it's not a local cache problem).

As several have noted, going through a proxy can be a useful fix in such situations.

:heart:
Mike
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

Dmytro wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:37 am
Circle5 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:52 pmIt is scientifically proven that certain color combinations are better than others.
Yes, and there's a great site on color combinations:

http://www.colorcombos.com/

Perhaps we can find here a color combo quite similar to present one, but a little more harmonious.
Thanks :D I've also found this great article: https://brightside.me/article/the-ultim ... eet-92405/
A must read for everybody
binocular

Post by binocular »

I can now connect without a proxy.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Ayu

Post by Ayu »

binocular wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:25 am I can now connect without a proxy.
Good news! How come? :)
Ayu

Post by Ayu »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:20 pm Hi Ayu, others,

I have had difficulties several times in the past (as well as this time) when the IP address of the server changed. I suspect that the DNS associated with the old server may have been set up advertising a very long expire time, and it will simply take several days for some of my nearby DNS servers to bother to query again to get the new address. I now have no problem from my home ISP, but when I dropped into work yesterday I could not connect (this was on the same laptop, so it's not a local cache problem).

As several have noted, going through a proxy can be a useful fix in such situations.

:heart:
Mike
Thank you for your comment. I hope, some change takes place in future. I'll try "flushing" on my laptop today, as recommended by David. But it is no option for Ipad, which is my favorite device.
These technical descriptions are difficult for me to understand even in German. So, let's try, fail and wait. :sage: