Server migration Sept 22

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
mikenz66

Re: Server migration Sept 22

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi David,

Do you mean you can't locate the server on your phone, or there is a problem when you do connect?

If the former, it's like the opposite problem to the one I had. I could connect using my phone but not at home or at work. At home has now resolved itself, at work, not yet. My guess is that your phone company, and my work network, have DNS servers configured with long time-outs. Since we have no control over that, all we can do is wait...

:heart:
Mike
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

I know you can set the DNS server in my network adapter in Windows, e.g. I have my desktop set to Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4. secondary. Is this possible in Android or Mac?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
binocular

Post by binocular »

Today, I again have to use a proxy.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
perkele

Post by perkele »

On this DNS info site, http://viewdns.info/iphistory/?domain=dhammawheel.com, you can see what the IP address should be (assuming that the site has up-to-date records).

After the hosting provider has been changed from Cloudflare to Amazon one week ago, I suppose that address should stay stable now.

The IP address of dhammawheel.com is now: 52.52.250.185

So you could simply note down that IP address and type it directly into the browser instead of "dhammawheel.com", whenever you are behind some DNS with an outdated cache.
Or look it up each time on a site like the one above, http://viewdns.info and then copy-paste that IP address.
Mkoll wrote:I know you can set the DNS server in my network adapter in Windows, e.g. I have my desktop set to Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4. secondary. Is this possible in Android or Mac?
As far as I know, it is possible to set the DNS server only in the case of Wifi, but not on a mobile broadband connection, on Android and other Smartphones. For WIFI there should be some possibility to edit the connection properties and set the DNS server somewhere.

For any computer, whether Mac or PC, there should be possibilities to set this as well. On Linux you can edit the file /etc/resolv.conf and add/replace the line(s) for the DNS server in the format

Code: Select all

nameserver <IP-Address>
, so for example

nameserver 8.8.8.8
for the Google DNS. (I think, two nameserver entries (primary and secondary) are possible, anything beyond that is ignored.)
I think on Mac it should be similar. Maybe only the file is located differently, like /private/etc/resolv.conf or something.
Last edited by perkele on Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perkele

Post by perkele »

Then there is also the possibility to edit your local "hosts" file, which is a relic from pre-DNS times that is still in place on modern systems.
The hosts file is a simple text file in the format

<IP address> <domain name(s)>
, which associates IP addresses to domain strings, just like a DNS server would, but the entries are all stored locally on your computer and have to be kept up-to-date there (or deleted, in order to delegate the lookup work to a DNS server again).
For exapmle you could add the line

52.52.250.185 dhammawheel.com www.dhammawheel.com
there, so that your computer would resolve dhammawheel.com and www.dhammawheel.com to the correct IP address without asking a DNS server.

On Linux, that file is found under /etc/hosts, on Mac it should be /private/etc/hosts, and on Windows /Windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts, according to what the internet told me.

No idea how to locate and edit that file on smartphones, whether Android or iPhone or something else. But I assume that it also exists on modern smartphone operating systems somewhere under the hood.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

perkele wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:51 pm On this DNS info site, http://viewdns.info/iphistory/?domain=dhammawheel.com, you can see what the IP address should be (assuming that the site has up-to-date records).

After the hosting provider has been changed from Cloudflare to Amazon one week ago, I suppose that address should stay stable now.

The IP address of dhammawheel.com is now: 52.52.250.185

So you could simply note down that IP address and type it directly into the browser instead of "dhammawheel.com", whenever you are behind some DNS with an outdated cache.
Or look it up each time on a site like the one above, http://viewdns.info and then copy-paste that IP address.
Mkoll wrote:I know you can set the DNS server in my network adapter in Windows, e.g. I have my desktop set to Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4. secondary. Is this possible in Android or Mac?
As far as I know, it is possible to set the DNS server only in the case of Wifi, but not on a mobile broadband connection on Android and other Smartphones. For WIFI there should be some possibility to edit the connection properties and set the DNS server somewhere.
Definitely not just Wifi in Windows: you can set DNS in wired or wifi network adapters in the Windows adapter settings. I haven't looked into this for Android though.
binocular

Post by binocular »

perkele wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:51 pmThe IP address of dhammawheel.com is now: 52.52.250.185
Thank you!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

binocular wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:21 pm
perkele wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:51 pmThe IP address of dhammawheel.com is now: 52.52.250.185
Thank you!
+1

Thanks for helping people out with that tip. :thanks:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

perkele

Post by perkele »

DNS wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:11 pm I heard this might work too:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/
Yes, that's what Mkoll suggested, Google's DNS server. It seems rock-solid, ultra-fast for the huge capacity it serves, and has become something like the standard alternative for everyone worldwide when some local ISPs' domain name servers have an outage or employ censorship or are slow or whatever... Makes one wonder what massive infrastructure they need to provide that service. And what massive amounts of data they must be able to collect that way.
And the IP is easy to memorize: 8.8.8.8 (or 8.8.4.4)

(Photo from Turkey, where much of the internet was censored by the local ISPs' DNS servers by state law. Now Google's DNS server has been blocked there as well.)

Alternatively there is also OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220) - supposedly even faster than Google DNS for most, or dozens of other public DNS servers (and many more) to choose from as an alternative to your ISP's.
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

mikenz66 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:37 am Hi David,

Do you mean you can't locate the server on your phone, or there is a problem when you do connect?

If the former, it's like the opposite problem to the one I had. I could connect using my phone but not at home or at work. At home has now resolved itself, at work, not yet. My guess is that your phone company, and my work network, have DNS servers configured with long time-outs. Since we have no control over that, all we can do is wait...

Mike
It would just act like it was loading forever. But its working today.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Great. My work network is fine today. Amazing how long these cache's take to expire!

Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Links now open in a new window again.

For posting videos, you can just put the link in your post. Or you can use the media tag above in the editing buttons above. But it's best to just put the link in case anything changes in the software in the future.

You can also embed other links, including twitter and other sites, for example:

binocular

Post by binocular »

Uploading posts seems to go faster if I first click to preview the post, instead of just submitting. Although not always.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

binocular wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:15 am Uploading posts seems to go faster if I first click to preview the post, instead of just submitting. Although not always.
"Easy" fix. Just move to northern California. :tongue: