Welcome back to Paul (retro)

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
retrofuturist

Re: Welcome back to Paul (retro)

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Spiny,
Spiny Norman wrote:I think he'll be back too. ;)
Well, you've made one accurate prediction so far... let's hope your unbroken record in prophecy continues.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Paul Davy wrote:Greetings Spiny,
Well, you've made one accurate prediction so far... let's hope your unbroken record in prophecy continues.

Metta,
Special Spiny Powers. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Metta,
Indeed.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

For a number of years Ben and Tiltbillings have spent a lot of dedicated time and effort at Dhamma Wheel. I know from my own experience, that running an internet forum can sometimes be a thankless occupation in the wild and woolly internet realm,with its endless views and opinions. I hope that others here will appreciate that too.

I sincerely wish them both good health and happiness, always.

:anjali:
Last edited by Aloka on Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Spiny Norman wrote:

Metta,
Special Spiny Powers. :tongue:
When you're not disguised as Austin Powers I know your true form.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... YIQNDIp-F8
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Aloka wrote:For a number of years Ben and Tiltbillings have spent a lot of dedicated time and effort at Dhamma Wheel. I know from my own experience, that running an internet forum can sometimes be a thankless occupation in the wild and woolly internet realm,with its endless views and opinions.

Thanks, and I have appreciated your efforts over the years in looking out for the welfare of DW.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Modus.Ponens wrote:When you're not disguised as Austin Powers I know your true form.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... YIQNDIp-F8
It's my employer you should be worried about. :tongue:

Buddha save me from new-agers!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

tiltbillings wrote:
Aloka wrote:For a number of years Ben and Tiltbillings have spent a lot of dedicated time and effort at Dhamma Wheel. I know from my own experience, that running an internet forum can sometimes be a thankless occupation in the wild and woolly internet realm,with its endless views and opinions.

Thanks, and I have appreciated your efforts over the years in looking out for the welfare of DW.
Thank you for your kind words, Tilt.

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

tiltbillings wrote:
sattva wrote: Tilt, I want to thank you so much for all the work that you did here over the years. It couldn't have been easy. That you managed to keep your wit within all of this craziness says a lot about you. Ben, likewise, has always been a favorite of mine from E-Sangha days. In fact, I followed him here to ask a question of him when he was no longer spending much time at E-Sangha.
As Ben would say,
Kind regards,
sattva/louise

ps. Feel free to visit and chat any time!
Thank you for the kind words. Your presence here has always been a good thing. I forwarded this to Ben, who will no longer be posting here.

Ben and yourself will be much missed , I found both of you most agreeable, I feel a little sad that Ben will no longer be posting on this forum, Hope you stay Tiltbillings, if not can you recommend any other forums, Zen etc?
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

And much, much thanks to Ben and Tiltbillings for their service as admin and moderators for the past several years. They have worked tirelessly in the formation of this forum too and in moderating duties and worked around the clock getting rid of spammers.
With that positive note Paul, I wish to welcome you back to the forum.
By the way, I never felt that you left the forum. :D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote:Ben and tiltbillings will be greatly missed by me. In my opinion they have done a great job over the years and it is a great shame that they will no longer be taking part in the looking after of this forum.
After giving it some further thought, I am going to stick around for little while longer. There are a couple of lines of thought I would like to explore. We shall see.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

I concur with Mr man. Both Tilt and Ben add understanding of subjects of which I have little knowledge, and the variation in beliefs between Paul and Tilt is so refreshing and of benefit to all in this community (past topics are a treasure to read).
I hope both will stay. :console:
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth
samseva

Post by samseva »

I do not want to cause problems or an argument, but as a non-moderator (and I think other members feel the same way) who doesn't know what is happening behind the curtains, I have little understanding and a decent amount of confusion regarding the current situation. Out of nowhere, it seems that both Ben and Tilt left or were kicked out/demoted. I respect Paul, but don't quite understand in what situation he became global moderator—which does have an influence on things. I thought there would be some mention of what happened in other threads, but I only found breadcrumbs in the 'Just for the Sake of Argument' thread (which doesn't say much at all).

I agree members shouldn't know every single thing that goes on behind the maintenance and moderation of the forum, but as participating members, I think we should at least be told a minimum, especially when two active and important (I didn't always agree with the moderation style of Tilt and Ben, but moderating Dhamma Wheel must have been and probably isn't an easy job at all, and they still did a very good job) members like Ben and Tilt suddenly disappear. Again, I very much respect Paul, but not understanding the situation why he was made global moderator makes things puzzling.

Sure, the forum goes on, but when threads/posts disappear or people leave without even saying why or goodbye, people are demoted or others are made global moderators, with no explanation at all, it is difficult to maintain a trustful environment and relationship with moderators, non-moderators and the forum.

A short description of the situation (without every single occurrence that lead to the current situation) would be very much appreciated.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I would also like to know what is going on - at least the key points here, man.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

samseva wrote:I do not want to cause problems or an argument, but as a non-moderator (and I think other members feel the same way) who doesn't know what is happening behind the curtains, I have little understanding and a decent amount of confusion regarding the current situation. Out of nowhere, it seems that both Ben and Tilt left or were kicked out/demoted. I respect Paul, but don't quite understand in what situation he became global moderator—which does have an influence on things. I thought there would be some mention of what happened in other threads, but I only found breadcrumbs in the 'Just for the Sake of Argument' thread (which doesn't say much at all).

I agree members shouldn't know every single thing that goes on behind the maintenance and moderation of the forum, but as participating members, I think we should at least be told a minimum, especially when two active and important (I didn't always agree with the moderation style of Tilt and Ben, but moderating Dhamma Wheel must have been and probably isn't an easy job at all, and they still did a very good job) members like Ben and Tilt suddenly disappear. Again, I very much respect Paul, but not understanding the situation why he was made global moderator makes things puzzling.

Sure, the forum goes on, but when threads/posts disappear or people leave without even saying why or goodbye, people are demoted or others are made global moderators, with no explanation at all, it is difficult to maintain a trustful environment and relationship with moderators, non-moderators and the forum.

A short description of the situation (without every single occurrence that lead to the current situation) would be very much appreciated.
:goodpost:

I do think it is good to let members know why major decisions are taken. After all this is a Dhamma discussion forum, not a private for-profit corporation.

I'll just say that in my dealings with all the people involved over many years, I've come to feel strongly that each and every one of them has a great deal of integrity and commitment. Retro (Paul) was the forum founder, if I recall correctly, and David has graciously supported it with his time and money. I also feel that Ben and Tilt had given their hearts to this forum, providing patient guidance and support to many people, sharing their knowledge and many years of practice, and it is sad to see them go, especially under these circumstances.

I strongly hope the forum does not lose its focus and its generous character and that some transparency and eventual rapprochement can be achieved with all the people involved.
_/|\_