Welcome back to Paul (retro)

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
DNS
Site Admin

Welcome back to Paul (retro)

Post by DNS » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:05 pm

Welcome back to Paul (retrofuturist) as Admin for Dhamma Wheel!

Paul (retro) has agreed to return as Admin for Dhamma Wheel. Many of you know that he is a co-founder and was quite instrumental, actually the leading figure in the formation of Dhamma Wheel seven and a half years ago.

And much, much thanks to Ben and Tiltbillings for their service as admin and moderators for the past several years. They have worked tirelessly in the formation of this forum too and in moderating duties and worked around the clock getting rid of spammers.

:anjali:

Nicolas

Re: Welcome back to Paul (retro)

Post by Nicolas » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:38 pm

Welcome back, and thanks again to all the moderators for the great and often ungrateful work you do for us!

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:42 pm

I knew you'd be back! :thumbsup:

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Cormac Brown

Post by Cormac Brown » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:47 pm

Very welcome back, Paul. May all the administrators work in harmony to encourage and promote true Dhamma, for the benefit of all beings.
Wordy Warfare, trans. M. Walshe:

"Monks, do not wage wordy warfare, saying: 'You don't understand this Dhamma and discipline, I understand this Dhamma and discipline'; 'How could you understand it? You have fallen into wrong practices: I have the right practice'; 'You have said afterwards what you should have said first, and you have said first what you should have said afterwards';[1] 'What I say is consistent, what you say isn't'; 'What you have thought out for so long is entirely reversed'; 'Your statement is refuted'; 'You are talking rubbish!'; 'You are in the wrong'; 'Get out of that if you can!'

"Why should you not do this? Such talk, monks, is not related to the goal, it is not fundamental to the holy life, does not conduce to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, tranquillity, higher knowledge, enlightenment or to Nibbana. When you have discussions, monks, you should discuss Suffering, the Arising of Suffering, its Cessation, and the Path that leads to its Cessation. Why is that? Because such talk is related to the goal... it conduces to disenchantment... to Nibbana. This is the task you must accomplish."

SN 56.9
Nibbana Sutta, trans. Ven. Thanissaro:

"There is that dimension, monks, where there is neither earth, nor water, nor fire, nor wind; neither dimension of the infinitude of space, nor dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, nor dimension of nothingness, nor dimension of neither perception nor non-perception; neither this world, nor the next world, nor sun, nor moon. And there, I say, there is neither coming, nor going, nor staying; neither passing away nor arising: unestablished,[1] unevolving, without support [mental object].[2] This, just this, is the end of stress."

Udana 8.1
Metta,

Cormac
“I in the present who am a worthy one, rightly self-awakened, am a
teacher of action, a teacher of activity, a teacher of persistence. But the
worthless man Makkhali contradicts even me, (saying,) ‘There is no
action. There is no activity. There is no persistence.’ "
AN 3.138, trans. Ven. Thanissaro

bodom

Post by bodom » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:14 pm

:thumbsup:

:namaste:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

"Dont send the mind outside. Watch the mind right at the mind."

- Ajahn Dune Atulo

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:53 pm

Welcome back!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:10 pm

Many thanks :clap:
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth

Dan74

Post by Dan74 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:29 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:Welcome back to Paul (retrofuturist) as Admin for Dhamma Wheel!

Paul (retro) has agreed to return as Admin for Dhamma Wheel. Many of you know that he is a co-founder and was quite instrumental, actually the leading figure in the formation of Dhamma Wheel seven and a half years ago.

And much, much thanks to Ben and Tiltbillings for their service as admin and moderators for the past several years. They have worked tirelessly in the formation of this forum too and in moderating duties and worked around the clock getting rid of spammers.

Welcome back, Paul.

Does this mean that Ben and Tilt are standing down?
_/|\_

robertk

Post by robertk » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:14 am

That is great news for Dhammawheel!

cooran

Post by cooran » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:09 am

Welcome back, Paul! :group: :group:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:38 pm

Nicolas wrote:Welcome back, and thanks again to all the moderators for the great and often ungrateful work you do for us!
My words exactly.

Anjali
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:50 pm

Welcome back, Paul. :hello:
Looking forward to fruitful exchanges on the forums.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:54 pm

Welcome back, Paul.
Dan74 wrote:Does this mean that Ben and Tilt are standing down?
That appears to be the case. Their usernames are in blue now, indicating "former staff" I believe.

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Tex

Post by Tex » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:12 pm

Welcome back and thanks to all who keep dhammawheel going.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:43 pm

Greeting everyone,

Thank you for the kind words. I look forward to having the opportunity to serve this community once more.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Thisperson

Post by Thisperson » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:58 pm

Welcome back Paul. Thanks for all making this forum work! :twothumbsup:

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Thisperson wrote:Thanks for all making this forum work! :twothumbsup:
You are welcome. Speaking for Ben and me, it has been a long haul, sometimes very much annoyingly so, but more often rewarding, fun, heartening, and worth it in the time and effort we have been able to give in service of the Dhamma and help make a place where we all can meet, discuss, argue, learn, and hopefully grow.
Last edited by tiltbillings on Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:32 pm

Welcome back :)

I have seen your input on the forums, and I always enjoy reading and responding to it.

Thanks to all of the admins!

"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:26 am

Welcome back, Paul, :hello: and a big Thank You to Ben and tilt for their service here. :group:
As someone said earlier, it's an often-thankless role but it's a great service to the community and I, like others, do appreciate your work.

:namaste:
Kim

Thisperson

Post by Thisperson » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:54 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
Thisperson wrote:Thanks for all making this forum work! :twothumbsup:
You are welcome. Speaking for Ben and me, it has been a long haul, sometimes very much annoyingly so, but more often rewarding, fun, heartening, and worth it in the time and effort we have been able to give in service of the Dhamma and help make a place where we all can meet, discuss, argue, learn, and hopefully grow.
Haha I think I would've done this :computerproblem: at least once personally. :D