Welcome back to Paul (retro)

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
samseva

Re: Welcome back to Paul (retro)

Post by samseva »

David N. Snyder wrote:[...]
samseva wrote:I do not want to cause problems or an argument, but as a non-moderator (and I think other members feel the same way) who doesn't know what is happening behind the curtains, I have little understanding and a decent amount of confusion regarding the current situation. Out of nowhere, it seems that both Ben and Tilt left or were kicked out/demoted. I respect Paul, but don't quite understand in what situation he became global moderator—which does have an influence on things. I thought there would be some mention of what happened in other threads, but I only found breadcrumbs in the 'Just for the Sake of Argument' thread (which doesn't say much at all).

I agree members shouldn't know every single thing that goes on behind the maintenance and moderation of the forum, but as participating members, I think we should at least be told a minimum, especially when two active and important (I didn't always agree with the moderation style of Tilt and Ben, but moderating Dhamma Wheel must have been and probably isn't an easy job at all, and they still did a very good job) members like Ben and Tilt suddenly disappear. Again, I very much respect Paul, but not understanding the situation why he was made global moderator makes things puzzling.

Sure, the forum goes on, but when threads/posts disappear or people leave without even saying why or goodbye, people are demoted or others are made global moderators, with no explanation at all, it is difficult to maintain a trustful environment and relationship with moderators, non-moderators and the forum.

A short description of the situation (without every single occurrence that lead to the current situation) would be very much appreciated.
All this hasn't been addressed. I don't know what will come of it, but if all is just brushed under the rug, my trust and motivation to post on the forum will definitely take a hit. The vibe of the forum will take a hit as well, that is for sure.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Mr Man wrote: So the decision was made just by you with Paul's encouragement?
Sometimes decisions have to be made by just one admin or just one moderator. If others are not around and are busy and can't put in their opinions, that is just the way it is; people have lives outside of DW. Sometimes there is a troll or spammer online and a moderator can't wait until all other mods are available to discuss, so they do the ban by themselves.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

samseva wrote: A short description of the situation (without every single occurrence that lead to the current situation) would be very much appreciated.
All this hasn't been addressed. I don't know what will come of it, but if all is just brushed under the rug, my trust and motivation to post on the forum will definitely take a hit. The vibe of the forum will take a hit as well, that is for sure.
I did give a brief and general overview of the situation. The fact that my answer doesn't suit you is your choice. I don't know of hardly any forums where the admin is demanded to make such explanations, but I did so anyway. See my previous posts in this thread.

Just as expected this is just turning into rumor, hearsay, and wrong speech. There are lots of things general members don't know about behind scenes discussions. I gave a general and brief overview of the issue and made the change. As Buddhists of all people you should understand impermanence. There were staff changes and there will be staff changes in the future too; including me. No one was banned.

Some of the less skillful posts here are trying to bait me into saying negative things about former moderators and I am not going to do it. I remember the positive, good things and the good people that they are and wish them well. No one was banned.