Chat center now open!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
DNS
Site Admin

Chat center now open!

Post by DNS »

Chat room is now available, see link above in navigation bar.
m0rl0ck

Re: Chat center now open!

Post by m0rl0ck »

Close but no cigar.
People are used to reading and posting in chat bottom to top with the latest submissions appearing on the bottom of the chat window.
Also, the alternate color striping makes the entries hard to read. The reason most text entry fields are black print on a white window is for clarity and quick comprehension.
If you want an example of what it should look like, go here http://us20.chatzy.com/25904628501622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the attempt.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
sattva

Post by sattva »

m0rl0ck wrote:Close but no cigar.
People are used to reading and posting in chat bottom to top with the latest submissions appearing on the bottom of the chat window.
Also, the alternate color striping makes the entries hard to read. The reason most text entry fields are black print on a white window is for clarity and quick comprehension.
If you want an example of what it should look like, go here http://us20.chatzy.com/25904628501622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the attempt.
:goodpost:
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
samseva

Post by samseva »

m0rl0ck wrote:Close but no cigar.
If you want an example of what it should look like, go here http://us20.chatzy.com/25904628501622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the attempt.
I find the alternate color striping helps. Maybe bigger avatars and usernames could be useful.

Either way, having the chat room directly on the Dhamma Wheel website beats all the advantages of having an external chat room. It feels much more at home and less of a "coffeeshop a few blocks away". :smile:
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

samseva wrote:
Either way, having the chat room directly on the Dhamma Wheel website beats all the advantages of having an external chat room. It feels much more at home and less of a "coffeeshop a few blocks away". :smile:
My eyes are 60 years old and if its about clarity of communication and the widest possible userbase, the striping needs to go, cute or not.
But come to think of it, barring a complete redesign that allows it to perform as one would expect an internet chat to perform, i wont be using it, so you all do what you like :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

If the colours were fixed up, would that make this satisfactory? I'm sure that could be done. The darker background does seem a bit darker than the dark on the regular forum, and I agree that black should be the default colour.

Perhaps the time ordering could be changed too. I don't personally care either way...

To me it's a huge advantage that the chat is available with a single click. I never used any of the other chat systems, since they took more than one click :tongue:... However, since I never used them, I have little idea what members want to use chat for. I think too slowly to be a good chatter... :coffee:

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Actually, comparing them, I think the backgrounds are the same as on the Forum. The problem is the use by some of red or blue text...

Mike