Forum changes (mid-Jan 2016)

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Spiny Norman

Re: Forum changes (mid-Jan 2016)

Post by Spiny Norman »

Herbie wrote:The conveyed meaning is "we are a closed community"
I can assure you that this is a very open community compared to some I can think of.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks for your feedback, I can't tell you how much it is appreciated. As DW continues to grow and change we will continue to make changes to the structure, guidelines and TOS to best meet the needs of our 'community'.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cormac Brown

Post by Cormac Brown »

Big thank you to all those responsible for the site's maintenance. I find the layout very clear and sensible. Your work is much appreciated. A great resource.
“I in the present who am a worthy one, rightly self-awakened, am a
teacher of action, a teacher of activity, a teacher of persistence. But the
worthless man Makkhali contradicts even me, (saying,) ‘There is no
action. There is no activity. There is no persistence.’ "
AN 3.138, trans. Ven. Thanissaro
Herbie

Post by Herbie »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Herbie wrote:The conveyed meaning is "we are a closed community"
I can assure you that this is a very open community compared to some I can think of.
Maybe the term "community" was wrongly chosen by me. I am accusing the forum makers of closed-mindedness. But then that is what tradition is about: closed-mindedness. Right? I think the new forum structure represents just that: traditional closed-mindedness. But then ... why should the forum makers give a f*** about a non-traditionalist's opinion? :lol:
Inspiration is based on the exchange of different linguistic expressions. But inspiration is best knowing how language relates to truth. :smile:
SDC

Post by SDC »

Herbie wrote:But then ... why should the forum makers give a f*** about a non-traditionalist's opinion? :lol:
You're far from non-traditional, Herbie. And considering you have yet to be explicit, how do you expect us to address your concerns?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Herbie wrote:Right? I think the new forum structure represents just that: traditional closed-mindedness.
:shrug:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewforum.php?f=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Herbie

Post by Herbie »

SDC wrote:
Herbie wrote:But then ... why should the forum makers give a f*** about a non-traditionalist's opinion? :lol:
You're far from non-traditional, Herbie. And considering you have yet to be explicit, how do you expect us to address your concerns?
Well insofar as I have to use language to express myself, picking word as means of expression here or there depending on linguistic conditioning, I am necessarily sort of traditional. Language is always traditional.
Thinking it over actually it is better for me when my concerns are not adressed ... ;)
Inspiration is based on the exchange of different linguistic expressions. But inspiration is best knowing how language relates to truth. :smile:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Herbie wrote:
SDC wrote:
Herbie wrote:Thinking it over actually it is better for me when my concerns are not adressed ... ;)
Might even be better if you do not express your concerns so that no one is tempted to address them.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Herbie

Post by Herbie »

tiltbillings wrote:
Herbie wrote:Thinking it over actually it is better for me when my concerns are not adressed ... ;)
Might even be better if you do not express your concerns so that no one is tempted to address them.
Now you say it. you should have said this before I even have uttered the first word. But I do not know if I would have believed you and I doubt you would have been motivated to say it ;)