New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 11701
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by DNS » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:40 pm

Hello everyone,

There is a new Dharma forum, affiliated with Dhamma Wheel and Dharma Wheel:

www.DharmaPaths.com

Dharma Paths Practice Community is a new forum, using V-bulletin software and is not a competition to DW (Theravada) nor DW (Mahayana) nor any other Dharma website or forum. It is a pan-Buddhist practice based forum. Whereas, the DWs and other Buddhist forums are more for discussion and debate and doctrinal issues, the Dharma Paths site is more for the discussion and encouragement of our Dharma Paths.

One of the requests of membership is that you use your real name and an avatar with your photo.

Founders are Mike Rickicki, Michael F., Paul Davy, and myself. Mike Rickicki had already started the structure of this new forum at his facebook site and now it is going independent with its own domain name and forum. You might recall a few years back that we were trying to transfer the database from here to the v-bulletin software. It never took hold, but the software was still available to be used if we ever started another forum from scratch. Now that time has come.

User avatar
daverupa
Posts: 5980
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by daverupa » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:18 pm

Real names, eh? Whoopsie-daisies, a pseudonymous habit went off before I could stop it; I hope all y'all don't end up with too many of that sort of double-enrollment... maybe I can message an admin to change the existing one?

Alas, paperwork on a Monday...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

User avatar
Khalil Bodhi
Posts: 2215
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:58 pm

Hey everyone,

I wanted to thank those of you who are participating in DP, to invite those who are not and to let you know that we will be moving everything except the Welcome section behind a wall of privacy since the idea of the community is to foster sharing between spiritual friends. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Mettaya,

KB
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23044
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by tiltbillings » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:20 am

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Hey everyone,

I wanted to thank those of you who are participating in DP, to invite those who are not and to let you know that we will be moving everything except the Welcome section behind a wall of privacy since the idea of the community is to foster sharing between spiritual friends. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Good luck with that.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
Khalil Bodhi
Posts: 2215
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:23 am

tiltbillings wrote:
Khalil Bodhi wrote:Hey everyone,

I wanted to thank those of you who are participating in DP, to invite those who are not and to let you know that we will be moving everything except the Welcome section behind a wall of privacy since the idea of the community is to foster sharing between spiritual friends. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Good luck with that.
Thanks tilt!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23044
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by tiltbillings » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:05 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:Hello everyone,

There is a new Dharma forum, affiliated with Dhamma Wheel and Dharma Wheel:

www.DharmaPaths.com

Dharma Paths Practice Community is a new forum, using V-bulletin software and is not a competition to DW (Theravada) nor DW (Mahayana) nor any other Dharma website or forum. It is a pan-Buddhist practice based forum. Whereas, the DWs and other Buddhist forums are more for discussion and debate and doctrinal issues, the Dharma Paths site is more for the discussion and encouragement of our Dharma Paths.
I don't think the considerable amount of support of actual practice that takes place here should be under-estimated/understated. And I certainly do hope that this new forum does not siphon off that very important aspect of what Dhamma Wheel has to offer.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3355
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by Mr Man » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:29 pm

It all seems a bit odd and what with the timing and everything. Also just a touch ironic.

Mawkish1983
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by Mawkish1983 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:40 pm

Sounds like a good idea. I'll be happy to use my real name there. Thanks David!

Mawkish1983
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by Mawkish1983 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:43 pm

Forgot to add; could I request that I'm referred to here only by my online alias and over there only by my real name please? Many thanks!

User avatar
Khalil Bodhi
Posts: 2215
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:43 pm

Timing could have been better for sure but I would like to see DP solely as an extension of DW. I want to apologize if I have caused any hard feelings as that wasn't my intent.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

User avatar
Khalil Bodhi
Posts: 2215
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Mawkish1983 wrote:Forgot to add; could I request that I'm referred to here only by my online alias and over there only by my real name please? Many thanks!
You have my word on it.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

Mawkish1983
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by Mawkish1983 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:33 am

Mr Man wrote:It all seems a bit odd and what with the timing and everything. Also just a touch ironic.
What did I miss?

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 11701
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by DNS » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Mawkish1983 wrote:
Mr Man wrote:It all seems a bit odd and what with the timing and everything. Also just a touch ironic.
What did I miss?
Parisa Abhaya Dana was an online group started by Khalil Bodhi about two months ago and on facebook too. And then recently we set-up this new Dharma Paths with its own domain name and website. In the in between time an admin left here and is now on Dharma Paths, which gave the appearance due to timing that the new forum was in competition to DW, which is of course not the case. It was just bad timing; the Parisa Abhaya Dana and facebook groups were set-up long before that admin-mod left here.

Dharma Paths is modeled completely in the structure of the original Parisa Abhaya Dana and PAD facebook pages.

Reductor
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:52 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by Reductor » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:22 am

Hi all,

Just want to share some observations about dharmapaths.com.

First, you can use a screen name if you really don't want to reveal your real name. Several of the most frequent posters do so. You can change to your real name when, and if, you feel comfortable doing so.

Second, the forums are private to all but members, so your posts won't be indexed, and your real name, if you use it, isn't going to be spread all over the net because of that (except for any posts in the introduction and forum information sections). This is going to keep it a small community. Hopefully it doesn't snuff out altogether because of this.

Since it will remain small, it certainly isn't in competition with the behemoths that are dhammawheel and dharmawheel. It's just more intimate and exclusively practical in nature for those that could use more of that in their lives.

Third, the mode of conservation is geared to supporting one another and learning more about the whole world of buddhist practice, and less geared to convincing another buddhist of one view or another. For good or bad, forums the world over tend to debate and promotion of views more than they do toward peace and mutal support. Mind you, dhammawheel has always been an uncommonly good community on the internet, and I have no intention of leaving. Only of supplementing.

Anyway, those are my impressions and thoughts so far.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests