New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
DNS
Site Admin

New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by DNS »

Hello everyone,

There is a new Dharma forum, affiliated with Dhamma Wheel and Dharma Wheel:

www.DharmaPaths.com

Dharma Paths Practice Community is a new forum, using V-bulletin software and is not a competition to DW (Theravada) nor DW (Mahayana) nor any other Dharma website or forum. It is a pan-Buddhist practice based forum. Whereas, the DWs and other Buddhist forums are more for discussion and debate and doctrinal issues, the Dharma Paths site is more for the discussion and encouragement of our Dharma Paths.

One of the requests of membership is that you use your real name and an avatar with your photo.

Founders are Mike Rickicki, Michael F., Paul Davy, and myself. Mike Rickicki had already started the structure of this new forum at his facebook site and now it is going independent with its own domain name and forum. You might recall a few years back that we were trying to transfer the database from here to the v-bulletin software. It never took hold, but the software was still available to be used if we ever started another forum from scratch. Now that time has come.
daverupa

Re: New forum: Dharma Paths Practice Community

Post by daverupa »

Real names, eh? Whoopsie-daisies, a pseudonymous habit went off before I could stop it; I hope all y'all don't end up with too many of that sort of double-enrollment... maybe I can message an admin to change the existing one?

Alas, paperwork on a Monday...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Hey everyone,

I wanted to thank those of you who are participating in DP, to invite those who are not and to let you know that we will be moving everything except the Welcome section behind a wall of privacy since the idea of the community is to foster sharing between spiritual friends. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Mettaya,

KB
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Hey everyone,

I wanted to thank those of you who are participating in DP, to invite those who are not and to let you know that we will be moving everything except the Welcome section behind a wall of privacy since the idea of the community is to foster sharing between spiritual friends. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Good luck with that.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

tiltbillings wrote:
Khalil Bodhi wrote:Hey everyone,

Good luck with that.
Thanks tilt!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

David N. Snyder wrote:Hello everyone,

There is a new Dharma forum, affiliated with Dhamma Wheel and Dharma Wheel:

www.DharmaPaths.com

Dharma Paths Practice Community is a new forum, using V-bulletin software and is not a competition to DW (Theravada) nor DW (Mahayana) nor any other Dharma website or forum. It is a pan-Buddhist practice based forum. Whereas, the DWs and other Buddhist forums are more for discussion and debate and doctrinal issues, the Dharma Paths site is more for the discussion and encouragement of our Dharma Paths.
I don't think the considerable amount of support of actual practice that takes place here should be under-estimated/understated. And I certainly do hope that this new forum does not siphon off that very important aspect of what Dhamma Wheel has to offer.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

It all seems a bit odd and what with the timing and everything. Also just a touch ironic.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Sounds like a good idea. I'll be happy to use my real name there. Thanks David!
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Forgot to add; could I request that I'm referred to here only by my online alias and over there only by my real name please? Many thanks!
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Timing could have been better for sure but I would like to see DP solely as an extension of DW. I want to apologize if I have caused any hard feelings as that wasn't my intent.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Mawkish1983 wrote:Forgot to add; could I request that I'm referred to here only by my online alias and over there only by my real name please? Many thanks!
You have my word on it.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Mr Man wrote:It all seems a bit odd and what with the timing and everything. Also just a touch ironic.
What did I miss?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
Mr Man wrote:It all seems a bit odd and what with the timing and everything. Also just a touch ironic.
What did I miss?
Parisa Abhaya Dana was an online group started by Khalil Bodhi about two months ago and on facebook too. And then recently we set-up this new Dharma Paths with its own domain name and website. In the in between time an admin left here and is now on Dharma Paths, which gave the appearance due to timing that the new forum was in competition to DW, which is of course not the case. It was just bad timing; the Parisa Abhaya Dana and facebook groups were set-up long before that admin-mod left here.

Dharma Paths is modeled completely in the structure of the original Parisa Abhaya Dana and PAD facebook pages.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Hi all,

Just want to share some observations about dharmapaths.com.

First, you can use a screen name if you really don't want to reveal your real name. Several of the most frequent posters do so. You can change to your real name when, and if, you feel comfortable doing so.

Second, the forums are private to all but members, so your posts won't be indexed, and your real name, if you use it, isn't going to be spread all over the net because of that (except for any posts in the introduction and forum information sections). This is going to keep it a small community. Hopefully it doesn't snuff out altogether because of this.

Since it will remain small, it certainly isn't in competition with the behemoths that are dhammawheel and dharmawheel. It's just more intimate and exclusively practical in nature for those that could use more of that in their lives.

Third, the mode of conservation is geared to supporting one another and learning more about the whole world of buddhist practice, and less geared to convincing another buddhist of one view or another. For good or bad, forums the world over tend to debate and promotion of views more than they do toward peace and mutal support. Mind you, dhammawheel has always been an uncommonly good community on the internet, and I have no intention of leaving. Only of supplementing.

Anyway, those are my impressions and thoughts so far.