Excellent new book from Joseph Goldstein

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
bodom

Excellent new book from Joseph Goldstein

Post by bodom »

Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Awakening
by Joseph Goldstein

From education and medicine to business and politics, we are in the midst of a great flowering of mindfulness. And with each new application we find for it, priceless benefits emerge. Yet the original purpose of mindfulness has remained throughout the centuries: spiritual awakening. With Mindfulness, Joseph Goldstein shares the wisdom of his four decades of teaching and practice in a book that will serve as a lifelong companion for anyone committed to mindful living and the realization of inner freedom.

Goldstein's source teaching is the Satipatthana Sutta, the Buddha's legendary discourse on the four foundations of mindfulness that became the basis for the many types of Vipassana (or insight meditation) found today. Exquisite in detail yet wholly accessible and relevant for the modern student, Mindfulness takes us through a profound study of:

. The four qualities of mind-ardency, clear knowing, mindfulness, and concentration
. Mindfulness of the body, including the breath, postures, activities, and physical characteristics
. Mindfulness of dhammas (or categories of experience), including the Five Hindrances, the Six Sense Spheres, the Seven Factors of Awakening, and much more

"There is a wealth of meaning and nuance in the experience of mindfulness that can enrich our lives in unimagined ways," writes Goldstein. Now readers everywhere are invited to mine these riches together, with Mindfulness.

Product Details

Hardcover: 456 pages
Publisher: Sounds True; 1 edition (November 1, 2013)
Language: English

Editorial Reviews

Review

"Mindfulness seems to be everywhere these days. It's clear the ideas associated with it provide helpful direction for dealing with things like addiction, emotional imbalance, and recovery from abuse. Joseph Goldstein, a leading meditation teacher and retreat leader, has put together a discussion of mindfulness in the context of its Buddhist origins, bringing it back to its relevance as a tool for spiritual awakening. Goldstein offers clearly-written discussions of things like awareness of motivation, sustainable application of effort, wholesome recollection, continuity of mindfulness, contemplating impermanence, personalizing difficulties, doubt disguised as wisdom, and mindful listening. The language of the book is down-to-earth and compassionately supportive. Non-English terms are carefully explained and used sparingly. This is a serious, yet very readable text, rooted in traditional, scholarly Buddhist philosophy without distancing itself from lay readers. Let your customers know that the welcoming tone of the writing creates the experience of opening a window and breathing in fresh air."
-Anna Jedrziewski, Retailing Insight

"A major contribution to the clarifying and deepening of our understanding of mindfulness and its traditional Dharma roots."
-Jon Kabat-Zinn
Author of Full Catastrophe Living and Mindfulness for Beginners

"Author Joseph Goldstein, one of the most wise, lucid, and experienced teachers of our times, has written a book on mindfulness that calls forth the depth and power of classical Buddhist teachings. If you are drawn to meditation out of a longing to realize spiritual freedom, this book will be a cherished resource on your path."
-Tara Brach, PhD
Author of Radical Acceptance and True Refuge

"Joseph Goldstein has written an immensely clear, practical, and accessible guide to living a mindful life. From examining its roots to exploring its manifold expressions, this deeply significant work shows the path for mindfulness to become our closest friend. I feel like I've waited a long time for a book just like this, and here it is!"

-Sharon Salzberg
Author of Lovingkindness and Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation

"In eloquent and compelling detail by a master of the art, Goldstein's new book shows how mindfulness leads to calm, well-being, and the joy of self-realization. The most complete and understandable book on mindfulness in print."
-Reggie Ray
Author of Touching Enlightenment and Mahamudra for the Modern World

"Useful advice that can help any meditator, no matter where they are on the path. Mindfulness should become an instant classic."
-DANIEL GOLEMAN
Author of Emotional Intelligence

"Lucid, clear, enormously helpful, a wise and mature vision of Buddhism."
-JACK KORNFIELD

Author of A Path With Heart

"America is damn lucky there is a Joseph. He has shepherded Western Buddhism in his ever-expanding teachings . . ."
-STEPHEN LEVINE
Author of Turning Toward the Mystery

About the Author

Joseph Goldstein has been leading insight and lovingkindness meditation retreats worldwide since 1974. He is a cofounder of the Insight Meditation Society, the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies, and the Forest Refuge. Since 1967, he has studied and practiced different forms of Buddhist meditation under eminent teachers from India, Burma, and Tibet. His books include A Heart Full of Peace and One Dharma. He lives in Barre, Massachusetts. See dharma.org
http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-A-Pra ... 162203063X

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
tiltbillings

Re: Excellent new book from Joseph Goldstein

Post by tiltbillings »

Looking on the same page as Joseph's book, there is also this: Perspectives on Satipatthana Paperback – April 15, 2014 by Bhikkhu Analayo

http://www.amazon.com/Perspectives-Sati ... pd_sim_b_2
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
bodom

Post by bodom »

tiltbillings wrote:Looking on the same page as Joseph's book, there is also this: Perspectives on Satipatthana Paperback – April 15, 2014 by Bhikkhu Analayo

Oh wow I didnt even notice that! Looks intriguing to say the least!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

bodom wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Looking on the same page as Joseph's book, there is also this: Perspectives on Satipatthana Paperback – April 15, 2014 by Bhikkhu Analayo

Oh wow I didnt even notice that! Looks intriguing to say the least!

Two books by excellent, experienced authors.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
bodom

Post by bodom »

For anyone currently reading the book, as I am, or anyone interested in reading the book, which I highly recommend, here is an interview with Goldstein:

a conversation with Joseph Goldstein

http://www.bcbsdharma.org/2013-10-18-insight-journal/

- BB
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

bodom wrote:For anyone currently reading the book, as I am, or anyone interested in reading the book, which I highly recommend, here is an interview with Goldstein:

a conversation with Joseph Goldstein

http://www.bcbsdharma.org/2013-10-18-insight-journal/
Thanks for that. Excellent.

Samma

Post by Samma »

Certainly looking forward to Analayo's update. He wrote the first rather early as part of his phd right, nearly 10 years old so it sometimes shows its age. Goldstein's looks llike a book form of his lecture series. I'll try to read the section on bare awareness/knowing and worldly/unworldly.