The Forest Hermitage, UK urgently needs live-in helper

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
forestmat

The Forest Hermitage, UK urgently needs live-in helper

Post by forestmat »

Branch of Wat Nong Pah Pong Buddhist temple in UK needs live-in helper

The Forest Hermitage (Wat Pah Santidhamma) in Warwickshire, England, a branch of Ajahn Chah's network of forest temples is urgently looking for a live-in helper/cook/driver to assist with the daily lives of the small community of monks.

The position is unpaid, but provides an opportunity to live and practice Dhamma in a beautiful part of the Warwickshire countryside.

More about the Forest Hermitage can be found here: http://foresthermitage.org.uk/about/the ... hermitage/

If you might be interested, please contact me in the first instance via this forum.

I held a similar position to this for around 4 years at the Forest Hermitage from 1999-2003 and can provide more information.

Please share this post with whomsoever you think might be appropriate.

Metta

Matthew Richards (forestmat)
Hartridge Buddhist Monastery, Devon, England
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: The Forest Hermitage, UK urgently needs live-in helper

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You don't say if this should be a man or a woman. Presumably it matters.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:You don't say if this should be a man or a woman. Presumably it matters.
Thank you Bhikkhu Pesala,

the requirement at the Forest Hermitage is really for a male lay-helper.

Metta
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly would this entail in practical terms? For example would such a lay person be expected/able to keep a job? Would they live at the monastery or close by? Info like this would be appreciated. Unfortunately not an option for me at the moment, but maybe in the future.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

@Coyote - it's a 'Live-in' position, you would live at the temple keeping a preferred minimum of 5 precepts Whoever takes the position is expected to carry out a number of duties, including some cooking, maybe general maintenance, some gardening, perhaps even some driving. The responsibility is to take care of the monks and the temple in whatever way is needed. Having a full-time job isn't really going to fit in with this type of situation.

Metta

Matt
Still Searching

Post by Still Searching »

Is it long-term or short-term?

I'm a great cook, I can clean too.

All want to do is help. I wanted to be ordained but if you really need a helper, I am willing to provide care.

I cant drive though.
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

@Still Searching - as far as I know the position is for as long as you want to help the community of monks living there.

All I can say is that it's a wonderful place, very peaceful and one of the best places I have come across to develop mindfulness.

Send me a PM if you want and I will give you my email address and more details.

Metta

Matt
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

forestmat wrote:@Still Searching - as far as I know the position is for as long as you want to help the community of monks living there.

All I can say is that it's a wonderful place, very peaceful and one of the best places I have come across to develop mindfulness.

Send me a PM if you want and I will give you my email address and more details.

Metta

Matt
Out of interest forestmat: Would a layhelper in general be provided with health care and everything else for the time he stays? I imagine that would be a problem if one hasn't some sort of passive income or substantial savings.

I've been to the forest hermitage a few years ago. It's an excellent place to stay as a layhelper and to check out the daily monastery life for oneself (which is in some ways different from a "retreat" experience.)
lupan

Post by lupan »

I am interested to offer this service. I am a Singaporean and stay as long as VISA permit. Kindly advise how I can proceed from here.

Metta

Lupan
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I suggest that you contact the Forest Hermitage

This is an old thread, so perhaps the post has been filled, but few helpers stay for a long period so monasteries often need others.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
cooran

Post by cooran »

Bump
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

I'm pretty sure the kinder UK health system will cover your health insurance, even tourists are covered I believe.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

lyndon taylor wrote:I'm pretty sure the kinder UK health system will cover your health insurance, even tourists are covered I believe.
It pays to investigate; different health authorities take different views; some charge non-nationals a fee. Insurance is highly recommended, just in case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25529636

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSse ... vices.aspx
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....