New book from Venerable Analayo

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
bodom

New book from Venerable Analayo

Postby bodom » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:22 am

Early Buddhist Meditation Studies (Volume 1)

In this book, Bhikkhu Analayo, scholar and meditation teacher, examines central aspects of Buddhist meditation as reflected in the early discourses of the Buddha, based on revised and reorganized material from previously published articles. The main topics he takes up are mindfulness, the path to awakening, absorption, and the brahmaviharas. He compares parallel versions of the discourses in a variety of languages which offers a window on the earliest stages in the development of these Buddhist teachings.

*For whatever reason, (due to being on my cell phone?) I am unable to post the link to Amazon where you can get the book.*

:namaste:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

Phena

Re: New book from Venerable Analayo

Postby Phena » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:01 am

bodom wrote:
Early Buddhist Meditation Studies (Volume 1)

In this book, Bhikkhu Analayo, scholar and meditation teacher, examines central aspects of Buddhist meditation as reflected in the early discourses of the Buddha, based on revised and reorganized material from previously published articles. The main topics he takes up are mindfulness, the path to awakening, absorption, and the brahmaviharas. He compares parallel versions of the discourses in a variety of languages which offers a window on the earliest stages in the development of these Buddhist teachings.

*For whatever reason, (due to being on my cell phone?) I am unable to post the link to Amazon where you can get the book.*

:namaste:

Thanks Bodom! Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/Early-Buddhist-Meditation-Studies-1/dp/1540410501 (you need to enclose it within the [url][/url] feature now apparently).

I just this week ordered Compassion and Emptiness in Early Buddhist Meditation by Analyo. I'm sure people were already aware of this release, but here is the link if you weren't: https://www.amazon.com/Compassion-Emptiness-Early-Buddhist-Meditation/dp/1909314552

aflatun

Postby aflatun » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:29 am

Thanks for this, I'm looking forward to this one

@Phena: Compassion and Emptiness is a wonderful book, very deep and pragmatic wisdom in my opinion. His take on the practical application of "emptiness practice" is very interesting and would make for a wonderful discussion at some point.
We approach the Buddha’s teaching with our precast pigeonholes: either it has to be idealism, or it must be realism. If one really wants to call this an ‘ism’, they should be calling it ‘let-go-ism’. One picks up only to make use of and let go.

Ñāṇananda

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:38 am

My man! Thanks for sharing this.

:reading:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Sprouticus

Postby Sprouticus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:07 am